The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2015 2:17 pm  #11

Re: Rangel: Reinstate the draft

Those are potentially good things.
My point is, a conscripted force might not be the most lethal armed force. 
You have to weight priorities.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/20/2015 2:42 pm  #12

Just Fred wrote:

I hope that you will see what I mean.

I do.  My point was that if the draft were to be re-instated, we, as a nation, might be more thoughtful and cautious about deciding to send our young people to war.  It forces everyone to be more informed and demanding of those that are responsible for making those decisions.

As a veteran who joined during the Viet Nam "conflict" due to draft, I agree with your point Fred. If a universal, non-partisan, inclusive, all encompassing draft was initiated, perhaps, just perhaps, the people of the nation (especially those responsible for committing our troops to harms way in foreign countries) would give more thought to their decision making process.

3/20/2015 5:41 pm  #13

I think it would make the chickenhawks a lot less likely to throw lives away.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

3/20/2015 7:24 pm  #14

The public would be forced to look at war as something that would affect them and the ones they love.  They would have ''some skin in the game'', as they say.  No more sitting in their armchair watching the news and viewing war like a video game, especially when your son or daughter is in it.

Board footera