The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2015 8:20 am  #1

Rangel: Reinstate the draft

Rangel: Reinstate the draft
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/236365-rangel-renews-call-for-war-tax-national-draft

Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.) is re-introducing legislation that would reinstate a military draft in the U.S. and impose a “war tax” so that Americans “feel the burden” of ongoing military operations against Islamic militants."Armed conflict is unpredictable, chaotic, and costly. When I served, the entire nation shared the sacrifices through the draft and increased taxes. But today, only a fraction of America shoulders the burden. If war is truly necessary, we must all come together to support and defend our nation," Rangel, who served in the Army, said Thursday in a statement. "As a Korean War veteran, I know the toll war takes." His Draft Act would open the draft to women and require everyone between the ages 18 to 25 to register for the Selective Service System.It also calls for the reinstatement of a lottery to draft them into the military whenever an authorization for use of military force (AUMF) or declaration of war is in effect.Meanwhile, the War Tax Act requires that current and future war funding be paid for with revenue increases.

Last edited by Common Sense (3/20/2015 8:20 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/20/2015 8:33 am  #2

Re: Rangel: Reinstate the draft

Charlie has advocated this for some time. There is some merit in the argument, but it will never happen.
The military itself doesn't want the draft.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/20/2015 8:54 am  #3

The basic problem with the draft (as it existed when my status went from 2S to 1A shortly after graduation from college) is that it was not universal. There were many ways to play the system (just ask Dick Cheney) and eligible draftees with money and connections could weasel their way out of service, or at least keep them out of any combat zones.
I'd be in favor of some system of universal national service without loopholes for the privileged few.

Last edited by Rongone (3/20/2015 9:57 am)

3/20/2015 9:39 am  #4

I would like to see a draft for Universal Service (to our country). It need NOT necessarily be in the military. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/20/2015 9:58 am  #5

tennyson wrote:

I would like to see a draft for Universal Service (to our country). It need NOT necessarily be in the military. 

Yes, that's what I meant.

3/20/2015 10:37 am  #6

The cynical side of says the military-industrial complex doesn't want it because it would greatly affect the future military engagements we might become involved in.  With a draft, too many more people would be paying attention to what is going on and what they are up to.

Last edited by Just Fred (3/20/2015 1:46 pm)

3/20/2015 10:48 am  #7

Just Fred wrote:

The cyincal side of says the military-industrial complex doesn't want it because it would greatly affect the future military engagements we might become involved in.  With a draft, too many more people would be paying attention to what is going on and what they are up to.

Well, there is that dynamic, for sure.
But, it's also true that a volunteer professional force makes a better army than a band of conscripts.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/20/2015 1:58 pm  #8

But, it's also true that a volunteer professional force makes a better army than a band of conscripts.

Maybe, Goose, but how about an army comprised with lots of high school grads and non-grads that had no plans or direction.  I have a friend who is a colonel in the Marines.  She has some pretty grim stories about the behavioral, intellectual, and maturity level of many of those she has to deal with.  I believe she told me a week doesn't go by when she has to answer a call to go to a prison or police headquarters to try to bail out one or more enlisted young men.

BTW, I wouldn't want to tell a WWII vet like my dad that he and his mates were inferior soldiers to a volunteer band of professionals.  Might be some Vietnam vets out there who might feel the same way.  Just sayin'.

3/20/2015 2:06 pm  #9

Just Fred wrote:

BTW, I wouldn't want to tell a WWII vet like my dad that he and his mates were inferior soldiers to a volunteer band of professionals.  Might be some Vietnam vets out there who might feel the same way.  Just sayin'.

No need for folks to get their backs up.
WWII was a special circumstance. The draft was huge, capturing people from all walks of life. Few people tried to evade it. There was also a sense of national mission. A modern day draft is unlikely to reproduce those conditions. 9 percent of Americans were in uniform during WWII. Less than 1% have seen active duty today. People wanted to fight, and believed in the fight.

Compare that fighting force of citizen soldiers, or our present all voluteer army,  to the poorly motivated and trained conscript army that the Soviets sent to Afghanistan, to a war that was an unpopular sideshow for that nation, and I hope that you will see what I mean.

3/20/2015 2:14 pm  #10

I hope that you will see what I mean.

I do.  My point was that if the draft were to be re-instated, we, as a nation, might be more thoughtful and cautious about deciding to send our young people to war.  It forces everyone to be more informed and demanding of those that are responsible for making those decisions.

Last edited by Just Fred (3/20/2015 2:15 pm)

Board footera