The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/17/2015 3:32 pm  #1

Say goodbye to employer-provided health insurance

Interesting article and worth the read. 

For those who currently DO get their health insurance via the company directly, do you think this alternative would be better or worse ? It certainly would force the employee to become more educated in terms of his ultimate choices in that regards. 

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/say-goodbye-to-employer-provided-health-insurance-2015-03-17?link=MW_popular

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/17/2015 3:41 pm  #2

Re: Say goodbye to employer-provided health insurance

Looks like a huge loser for me. I get my insurance thru my employer for a family of six. They pay about 75% of the premium now, and I pay the rest. Trading that in for a stipend of $500 a month leaves me way worse off than before.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/17/2015 3:50 pm  #3

I'm pushing 44 and my whole life I've had employer provided insurance. Would seem weird to me to have it any other way. But here's what I would be looking for if it was really going to go that way....

1) 100% deduction for all healthcare costs (policy, co-pays, perscriptions)

2) Scrap a lot of the rules in the ACA around what is mandated to be in a policy. We need to increase the number of option from just "Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum"

3) The ACA will need to be strengthened to ensure the mandate for coverage is applied. We'll need to have everyone covered to keep costs down.

4) Remove all limitations on where coverage can be bought. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

3/17/2015 4:03 pm  #4

I dunno, according to Rick Lindquist, this is going to result in my employer saving money, me saving money, AND me getting coverage for medical care as I do right now.
The win, win, win, scenario.

Then what, is it going to start raining beer?
Color me very, very skeptical.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/17/2015 4:45 pm  #5

Speaking of raining beer.

Happy St. Paddy's day to you all.....

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

3/17/2015 7:46 pm  #6

Guinness:  nectar of the gods.

I'll toast you with Jamison.

Life is an Orthros.

3/17/2015 9:24 pm  #7

Any time some one says a change will benefit me I learned a long time ago to be very skeptical. 

3/18/2015 7:16 am  #8

The article certainly should make people think. That employers keep shouldering the worrisome task of trying to select proper medical insurance for their employees certainly seems like a decision that would be better made by the employees themselves. The quesiton then becomes just how much the employer would contribute as well as the range of available policy options for the people seeking such insurance. 

To the first point, the article merely used the $500/mo as an example only. Employers that provided excellent medical insurance would likely pony up substantially more to keep their valued employees. The issue then would be the range of options to the employee and their costs. It would likely open up a super-ACA approach to the whole thing, but perhaps at a national level. Would this bring better coverage and more options? I don't know. It would more then resemble then what seniors such as myself go through that are on Medicare Advantage programs that work with private insurers in conjunction with Medicare. In these cases the seniors have multiple plans to choose from with different options, deductible, co-pays as well as side benefits such as health club memberships, dental coverage and/or eye coverage. 

I don't expect the transition to be quick as it has been ingrained for years to work the other way, but I DO expect as the article implies that we will see more and more of it. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/18/2015 8:08 am  #9

I worry. Yes, intuitively, it seems better for an individual to decide what coverage they want rather than the employer. However, large employers bring a large number of customers to an insurance company, and thus have historically have had the clout necessary to get better rates, better coverage, acceptance of pre-existing conditions etc. The government, thru medicare has the ultimate clout, deciding for themselves how much they will pay providers.

Individuals have not had these advantages in the past, leaving some of us better off with employer based coverage. Now, maybe the ACA will remove the things I have mentioned above as issues. Maybe.

3/18/2015 11:24 am  #10

Goose wrote:

I worry. Yes, intuitively, it seems better for an individual to decide what coverage they want rather than the employer. However, large employers bring a large number of customers to an insurance company, and thus have historically have had the clout necessary to get better rates, better coverage, acceptance of pre-existing conditions etc. The government, thru medicare has the ultimate clout, deciding for themselves how much they will pay providers.

Individuals have not had these advantages in the past, leaving some of us better off with employer based coverage. Now, maybe the ACA will remove the things I have mentioned above as issues. Maybe.

I would think insurance companies would prefer to keep their large clients as well. Would an Aetna, for example, want to lose a Fortune 500 company with 20,000 insured employees to the open market? I think not.

Board footera