The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/17/2015 2:58 pm  #1

Microsoft is killing off the Internet Explorer brand

Microsoft is killing off the Internet Explorer brand

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/17/8230631/microsoft-is-killing-off-the-internet-explorer-brand

While Microsoft has dropped hints that the Internet Explorer brand is going away, the software maker has now confirmed that it will use a new name for its upcoming browser successor, codenamed Project Spartan. Speaking at Microsoft Convergence yesterday, Microsoft's marketing chief Chris Capossela revealed that the company is currently working on a new name and brand. "We’re now researching what the new brand, or the new name, for our browser should be in Windows 10," said Capossela. "We’ll continue to have Internet Explorer, but we’ll also have a new browser called Project Spartan, which is codenamed Project Spartan. We have to name the thing."

Last edited by Common Sense (3/17/2015 2:58 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/17/2015 9:23 pm  #2

Re: Microsoft is killing off the Internet Explorer brand

I avoid Exploder like the plague.

Give me Google Chrome, Firefox, or Classilla.

I removve the MS browser from my toolbar and bury its icons where the sun don't shine.

Life is an Orthros.

3/18/2015 7:32 am  #3

That IE will die off or significantly change for the average user is probably not too huge of a deal. For years now most users have had many,many alternatives to IE such as Chrome, Foxfire, Opera, etc. and many have already opted for the alternatives for one reason or another. 

The biggest potential stumbling block MIGHT be for applicaiton developers that have built interfaces to their apps that relied on current IE underpinnings. Perhaps Lager or others could comment on whether this might be an issue or not. 

Microsoft has alread made significant changes in transitioning its Windows interface when going to Windows 8. This is just one more change that is inevitable to keep them in the mainstream of computing. 

Last edited by tennyson (3/18/2015 7:32 am)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/18/2015 11:16 am  #4

tennyson wrote:

That IE will die off or significantly change for the average user is probably not too huge of a deal. For years now most users have had many,many alternatives to IE such as Chrome, Foxfire, Opera, etc. and many have already opted for the alternatives for one reason or another. 

The biggest potential stumbling block MIGHT be for applicaiton developers that have built interfaces to their apps that relied on current IE underpinnings. Perhaps Lager or others could comment on whether this might be an issue or not. 

Microsoft has alread made significant changes in transitioning its Windows interface when going to Windows 8. This is just one more change that is inevitable to keep them in the mainstream of computing. 

Good point Tenny. This will be a problem for some companies. For example, the client I am working with right now has a good number of business critical applications that will only work with IE. Dumb, for sure, but there are quite a few companies who are in the same situation.

Keep in mind that killing the IE brand is different than killing IE, which I suspect will still be supported. 

But yeah, it was about time. No one used IE anymore. It's reputation was sh!t in the marketplace. IE didn't even work right on this board.

Good riddence. Hope Microsoft gets the next browser right.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

3/19/2015 9:32 pm  #5

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4/02/2015 2:35 pm  #6

I switched from Internet Explorer to Safari a number of years ago when Internet Exoplorer was not supported by a number of websites and now I have switched to Firefox because Safari no longer supports certain websites. I wonder how long before I have to switch from Firefox to another Browser??? 

Board footera