The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2016 2:49 pm  #11

Re: Former Facebook Workers: We Routinely Suppressed Conservative News

Goose wrote:

I hope that Zuckerberg tells the Senate to go pound sand.

I'll bet he just 'unfriends' them.

5/10/2016 6:47 pm  #12

I'm not quite sure the Senate should be investigating this, but it is information worth knowing that Facebook would do this.

I am sure there are many ill-informed Americans who use Facebook as their news source, not only the "trending" section but to also see what news events others are posting about.

I would have assumed that the "trending" section would have been completely organically driven and not have people controlling what gets posted and what gets "censored" based on a political viewpoint.  I also think comparing what Facebook does to what Breitbart and Drudge do is comparing apples and oranges.  Facebook is (was) viewed as a social media website that I don't think many people consider as political, where it those other websites clearly present themselves as political in nature.

This will definitely make me even more skeptical of what I see on the internet and question the motives of why things are being posted and shared.

5/11/2016 4:57 am  #13

One should indeed have a healthy skepticism.
One should keep in mind that, thus far, the article reports assertions that are anonymous, and unconfirmed. Let's see how they hold up to fact checking.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/11/2016 8:34 am  #14

I asked, but did not hear anyone's comments - does ANYONE here use Facebooks trending section to get their updates of news (political or otherwise) ??? 

I really was not even aware of its presence exactly till it came up in this piece. It was just there. 

As I noted earlier, the posts by users most certainly were NOT edited for conservative or liberal biases as some posters really go overboard (I discussed this earlier about how to avoid seeing, etc). 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/11/2016 8:41 am  #15

tennyson wrote:

I asked, but did not hear anyone's comments - does ANYONE here use Facebooks trending section to get their updates of news (political or otherwise) ??? 

I really was not even aware of its presence exactly till it came up in this piece. It was just there. 

As I noted earlier, the posts by users most certainly were NOT edited for conservative or liberal biases as some posters really go overboard (I discussed this earlier about how to avoid seeing, etc). 

Nope. I consider FB to be social media, a forum for keeping in touch.
I never read nor take notice of the "trending" column.
I don't consider FB a news source, and have no expectation that they will balance content between various political philosophies.

Tempest in a teacup

Last edited by Goose (5/11/2016 8:42 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/11/2016 2:04 pm  #16

I just visited my FB page.

The top item in "Trending":
Phil Robertson: 'Duck Dynasty' Star Comments on Transgender Bathroom Issue

It's not a news site and shouldn't be held to the standards of one.
If FB is your news source, you have bigger problems than the whole liberal v conservative thing.
A complete nonstory.

Last edited by Goose (5/11/2016 2:14 pm)

5/12/2016 11:58 am  #17

Very much worth a read from one of the best NYT tech writers......

<Ugh, I forgot you can copy and paste NYT articles anymore.>

It basically says that Facebook is the most influential source of news in the world today, that major media organizations like the Times are turning to Facebook to get its news articles out in the public, and that while Facebook doesn't appear to be doing anything unethical as it pertains to news aggregation (it's mostly done through computer algorithms) but that Facebook certainly has the power to influence the news.

I recommend reading it.  

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

5/12/2016 12:04 pm  #18

Wow, a former employee has nothing nice to say about the former employer?

That never happens.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

5/12/2016 2:11 pm  #19

"Facebook is the world’s most influential source of news.

That’s true according to every available measure of size — the billion-plus people who devour its News Feed every day, the cargo ships of profit it keeps raking in, and the tsunami of online traffic it sends to other news sites."

Meh,,,, I'm not buying it. 

I visit my FB page daily. I never read, much less "devoured" the news feed. Didn't really notice it until this kerfuffle. How did they look at traffic and distinguish between devouring the news feed, as opposed to just checking it  to see what your high school buddy you haven't seen in 25 years ate for dinner last night?

Sure, FB makes a profit. How do I know that it is because it is an influential news source, as a opposed to a medium for exchanging highly entertaining, yet vaguely disturbing cat videos. 

Last edited by Goose (5/12/2016 2:30 pm)

5/12/2016 2:26 pm  #20

Does anyone base their political opinion on what the see on Facebook?

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

Board footera