The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2015 9:10 am  #11

Re: Meckley resigns as receiver for York City School District

I've been thinking about this topic. If we set aside the monetary and bureaucratic issues for a second, we need to remember that it's first and foremost an equal relationship between students and teachers. You can argue that parents should be a third equal partner, but I'm setting that aside because not all parents can be counted on and they aren't there during the actual learning process. That's why it bothers me that the 2 most important factors seem to generally be treated as arbitrary parts to a monetary problem, and that's where I think that we approach the whole thing wrong from the get-go.

3/14/2015 9:22 am  #12

Oh, I think things will change.

First of all for the good of the entire school district and the community, I believe that each member of the present school board should resign and new members elected through a special election -- now would be the best time when the issue is fresh in the minds of everyone involved and people have very strong emotions and feelings -- we need some really good people who have leadership abilities and who can think out of the box and who are willing to try new things without a political, racial or protective agenda. I believe this to be a very necessary step to wipe the slate clean. Some would argue that there may be good people on the board and we would lose them -- that may or may not be true but for the good of everyone, the slate must be wiped clean.

Secondly I believe the Education Association of the school district city of York should in good faith agree to a minor reduction in salaries and benefits -- this would show good faith and perhaps get the ball rolling. I believe this reduction in salary and benefits should be minor so as not to severely impact the teachers and employees of the District and be understood as a temporary concession. I know this would not be popular but in a time of great touble, everyone needs to sacrifice somewhat -- during the Second World War everyone sacrificed something -- during the current situation in York City School District, everyone should sacrifice something.

Thirdly, there is a vast reservoir of retired teachers and others out there in York County. Someone needs to organize a task force of volunteer retired teachers and other qualified community residents who could provide afternoon and evening tutoring and also in class - one to one help for at risk students. The Salvation Army already provides an after school program for this purpose.  We need to make use of this great resource!

Fourthly, the mayor of York and School District Superintendent and to add importance to this idea, The Governor's Office and the Pennsylvania Department of Education, need to call an Emergency Community Wide meeting on several individual dates where input and suggestions could be heard, evaluated and considered. This would give the community ownership and responsibility for a plan to redeem the School District.

Fifthly - I believe parental workshops need to be set up at convenient multiple times throughout the city that would offer counseling and suggestions on how to instill love for education, homework skills, time management, etc. These meetings would have to meet the needs of the parents and their schedules. The regular times for these kind of meetings have long passed from our society. The organizers of these meetings should consider various times for these meetings to take place - early mornings, middays, afternoons, late afternoons, early evenings and yes even 10 pm, midnight and later evenings.   

Sixthly - There should be a no tolerance policy of disruptive behavior - new and strict behavior guidelines or srict enforcement of current guidelines need to be implemented immediately. Behavioral issues must be dealt with in a consistent, strict and fair manner - not excusing or overlooking matters because of family relationships, socio-economic status, race or personal agendas.   

These are only 6 possible steps to help in the redemption of the York City School District. These  6 ideas will not totally solve the problem but will possibly get the ball rolling. There are many other ideas out there lying dormant in the minds of citizens, community leaders, students and others just waiting to be discovered.

We must all be willing to pitch in and sacrifice at this time of great need in our Public School System in the city of York  - "Now is the time for every able bodied man or woman to come to the aid of their school district."

Last edited by JimmyBear (3/14/2015 10:01 am)

3/14/2015 9:28 am  #13

Good ideas jimmybear. I especially like the idea for retired teachers to form a group to try to help. That's something I didn't even think about, but could be highly beneficial! 

3/14/2015 12:12 pm  #14

Jimmy,

Excellent ideas.  In addition, I'd love to see an expansion of the Salvation Army's award winning "Bridging the Gap" character education program and more programs' like their after school and learning center programs and the parallel programs at the Y and Martin library.

To change the climate and culture of the schools requires changing the climate of the community, especially the dysfunctional non-"families" which unfortunately have become the "new normal" for York city.

10 of 11 students come from a "home" life that is something OTHER than biological father + biological mother.

The gangs become the surrogate "family" that they crave, especially as they enter adolescents.

Having values-based non-profits provide a better surrogate "family" in the after school hours is the only hope for real long-term improvement.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera