The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/13/2015 4:40 pm  #1

Meckley resigns as receiver for York City School District

Meckley has resigned as "receiver" for the York City School District, he said that was based on the fact that the Wolf Administration said charter school conversion was "off the table".

Glad to hear, now let's hope some real reform is made and the solution isn't to just throw more money at the problem.

3/13/2015 7:15 pm  #2

Re: Meckley resigns as receiver for York City School District

"...now let's hope some real reform is made and the solution isn't to just throw more money at the problem." - said Brady Bunch

I second that!!

Last edited by BYOB (3/13/2015 7:16 pm)

3/13/2015 7:19 pm  #3

I am curious, just what do either or both of you see as the reform that is needed ?  There seem to be TWO big issues -  budgetary issues and student performance. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/13/2015 7:31 pm  #4

I can't really speak much to the student performance part, as I don't know how the kids in York City Schools are doing. The budgetary part, however, is out of control. I pay around $4,000 a year on school taxes alone! And no, I do not live in a gold-plated castle. I loathe the fact that private run Charter schools get that tax money too. I'm not sure when it became 'the in thing' to abandon something, just to start something else in order to "fix" it. It's turning out that a lot of those for-profit charter schools suck. There are certain things that I believe should stay public, not private. Schools are one of them.

3/13/2015 8:07 pm  #5

BYOB wrote:

I can't really speak much to the student performance part, as I don't know how the kids in York City Schools are doing. The budgetary part, however, is out of control. I pay around $4,000 a year on school taxes alone! And no, I do not live in a gold-plated castle. I loathe the fact that private run Charter schools get that tax money too. I'm not sure when it became 'the in thing' to abandon something, just to start something else in order to "fix" it. It's turning out that a lot of those for-profit charter schools suck. There are certain things that I believe should stay public, not private. Schools are one of them.

I understand your plight taxwise. 

I understand that the city schools have the two major problems I listed. 

What I was wondering is what people believe is the solution ? 

Are you for the Wolf plan ? That should solve the high tax side for property owners. Not sure it will solve the district funding problem or not. Have to see more about that one. 

I don't hear any plans for anyone that seem to address the student performance issue. Without changing that, the kids are the real losers. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/13/2015 8:56 pm  #6

Guess the York Newspapes are now off the hook of needing to file a FOIA request for Meckley's financial disclosure form (if he was even required to file one....and if he wasn't, that is a scandal in an of itself) and thus we will never know what financial stake he may have had in Charter Schools USA.

Life is an Orthros.

3/13/2015 9:34 pm  #7

I can only imagine how difficult it must be for anyone to work with York City School District people.

3/14/2015 7:41 am  #8

Back to the status quo! Nothing will be done to “fix” a failing school system.
Everyone is high fiving now….. we won! No charter schools.
The only thing that will be done is more money spent if they can find some.
The losers in this fiasco are the kids who are not getting a education!

Two years from now the same discussions will be going on. Hand rubbing and high level meetings. Just give us more money. Really, really sad

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/14/2015 8:24 am  #9

tennyson wrote:

I am curious, just what do either or both of you see as the reform that is needed ?  There seem to be TWO big issues -  budgetary issues and student performance. 

In regards to budgetary issues, there are two parts that a change needs to take place.  First is the management and administration, there has been a lack of effective leadership in the school district for a while.  Even with the threat of being taken over by charters, the teachers and union couldn't even come up with a serious proposal that would have helped reduce expenses, but the administration approved the new contract that wouldn't help solve the problem and then the school board approved it.  Everyone needs to be part of the solution.

Second budgetary issue is the tax structure.  The Wolf plan would help, but there is NOTHING in his plan that would stop school districts from increasing taxes in subsequent years.  A different funding formula needs to be devised that would guarantee less taxes from property owners.  If school property taxes are reduced, investment in the city may result and middle class households may consider buying a house in the city who are now driven away by the high taxes.

In regards to school performance, I stated several times on the old Exchange that I am not sure what the district can do.  There may be some things they can do to review "best practices" of other school districts that are in a similar situation and have improved scores.  However, most of the school performance issues revolves around socio-economic issues.  Most kids live in poverty, growing up in single parent households that are struggling to survive. 42% of students in the school district are Hispanic, with a good percentage of them having English as a second language.  Unfortunately, the culture and households these kids ar growing up do not value education and it is not a priority.  Until something is done to address this issue, I'm not sure how you improve student performance.

While I completely disagree with Common that charters schoolds would have solved the problem (it has been shown repreatedly they don't perform better than public schools), I believe he is correct that now nothing will happen to actually improve the school district.

Apparently Gov Wolf has said "new investments" in schools will solve the problem.  You know, it woud really be nice if people would analyze a situation and come up with a list of issues and solutions, instead of just following ideology.  It is really sad that the only Republican solution was to "privatize it" because private industry solves it better and the Democratic solution is to just spend more money.  We need people with actual ideas, not just spout their party ideology

Last edited by Brady Bunch (3/14/2015 8:36 am)

3/14/2015 8:40 am  #10

tennyson wrote:

BYOB wrote:

I understand your plight taxwise. 

I understand that the city schools have the two major problems I listed. 

What I was wondering is what people believe is the solution ? 

Are you for the Wolf plan ? That should solve the high tax side for property owners. Not sure it will solve the district funding problem or not. Have to see more about that one. 

I don't hear any plans for anyone that seem to address the student performance issue. Without changing that, the kids are the real losers. 

I am also of the mind that the Wolf tax plan will be a future problem with rising school taxes, so for that reason, I'm not a fan of what he proposed. It seems more of a temporary band-aid. I never thought the schools had a lack of money problem. I have yet to see the students and teachers (who are "the boots on the ground" so-to-speak) being reached out to, in order to get to what's really going on in the schools and to find out what they think is needed. In order for me to really give an informed and honest answer, I'd have to go into each school for quite a while and observe. Which, oddly, doesn't seem like anyone who's involved in this has done. Am I wrong on that?

Board footera