The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2016 8:48 am  #1

Fish Tacos

Looks like we are in for some interesting meal ideas for Cinco de Mayo!

I'll contribute a favorite of mine.

Fish Tacos

By all means, do NOT skip the chipotle mayo. It is easy to prepare and absolutely makes the dish. If you are watching fat, substitute broiled or grilled fish for the fried.

My particular spin on this dish, which I picked up in Mexico city, grill some chunks of pineapple until charred and tuck a piece into each taco on top of the fish!

Fish Tacos  
Joe Realmuto

3 eggs, well beaten
8 ounces dark beer, such as Modelo Negro
2 teaspoons Coleman’s dry mustard
1 tablespoon red chili powder
Kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1½ cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dredging
1½ pounds codfish, cut into serving pieces
Vegetable oil, for frying
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 white corn tortillas
Chipotle Mayonnaise
Shredded cabbage
Grilled chunks of pineapple (optional, for the Goose twist)

Chipotle Mayonnaise
1½ cups mayonnaise
1½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
1½ tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2½ tablespoons chipotle chili puree
Pinch of kosher saltPlace the eggs, beer, mustard, chili powder, 1 tablespoon salt and sugar in a medium bowl and mix until smooth. Add the flour and continue mixing until it is a little thinner than pancake batter.

Heat the vegetable oil in a deep fat fryer or Dutch oven to 375 degrees. Dredge the fish pieces in flour and then into the batter and fry until golden brown. Sprinkle with salt.

Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan and warm the tortillas. Spread each tortilla with a tablespoon of chipotle mayonnaise and place a piece of fried fish on top. Add some shredded cabbage, and a piece of pineapple, and serve.

Chipotle Mayonnaise
Mix the mayonnaise, lime juice, cilantro and chipotle chili puree together in a medium bowl, add the salt and mix again.

Last edited by Goose (5/04/2016 9:29 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/04/2016 11:55 am  #2

Re: Fish Tacos

Love them. 

Never sounded good till I tried one a couple of years ago. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/04/2016 3:26 pm  #3

My wife makes some kick-ass fish tacos. 

My favorite fish for tacos is mahi-mahi. Second would be talapia. But almost any whitefish will do.

Two other suggestions I would make

Take the shredded (purple) cabbage and sprinkle olive oil and salt and pepper on it.

And I'd swap mayo for Sour Cream for the Chipotle sauce.

And I'd also recommend a slice of avocado to top it with. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

5/04/2016 3:56 pm  #4

Great suggestions.
I often set mine out on a bar and offer people choices to customize their tacos as they wish.

What are we drinking?

Last edited by Goose (5/04/2016 3:56 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/04/2016 5:59 pm  #5

Corona beer.
Sangria.
Margaritas.
Tequila shots or on the rocks.

Life is an Orthros.

5/28/2016 5:40 am  #6

I had fish Tacos on the deck last night with a local brew.
Big Elm Brewing company's American Lager.
A very easy drinking beer made right here in the Berkshires.

Who's brewing interesting stuff near York?

Board footera