The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/30/2016 7:07 am  #1

FRAYING AT THE EDGES

This is a very long essay about a woman with Alzheimer's.
But, I think that this is an important bit of writing.

It is timely and well worth your time. Give it a go

FRAYING AT
THE EDGES

By N. R. KLEINFIELD

A withered person with a scrambled mind,
memories sealed away: That is the familiar
face of Alzheimer’s. But there is also the
waiting period, which Geri Taylor has been
navigating with prudence, grace and hope.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/05/01/nyregion/living-with-alzheimers.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/30/2016 7:33 am  #2

Re: FRAYING AT THE EDGES

My father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's several years ago. He eventually died as he retracted into the secret depths of this disease. When I heard of his diagnosis I wanted to learn more about this disease that would affect my mother and my siblings as the disease stole the father and husband we knew. A book that was recommended to me by one of the healthcare professionals was Losing My Mind: An Intimate Look at Life with Alzheimer's by Thomas DeBaggio. It is the true story of Mr. DeBaggio who was diagnosed with the disease at 57. He writes a sort of diary for as long as he can describing the struggles he faces as the disease progresses. At some point, he can no longer write but dictates his experience and his wife eventually takes up the narrative. I found the book quite insightful in providing some first hand experience of a person actually suffering with the disease. One description I will never forget was Mr. DeBaggio describing his struggle to write down a word in a sentence. He said he knew the word he wanted, but couldn't find it in his brain. He described himself seeing words floating around in his mind's eye, saw the word he wanted to write down but was unable to reach out and capture it. I would highly recommend this book to anyone wishing to better understand this disease, especially if it is affecting a loved on.

Last edited by Rongone (4/30/2016 7:35 am)

4/30/2016 8:28 am  #3

I imagine the person suffering from Alzheimer's knows, at some stage of the disease, that they are slowly losing themselves.

I find the concept of losing myself, one memory at a time, frightening.

At what point would you stop being you?

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

4/30/2016 8:31 am  #4

Thanks, for the recommendation, Rongone.
I think that many of us could benefit from greater insight into this disease. It is vital for the caregivers to gain as much insight, and support as possible. So many are suffering.
By the way, the book Ron mentioned is available from amazon in both paperback and kindle editions. About $12-$14.

I hope that the issue gets a great deal of attention, both here and on other forums.
It is a much more important issue than are many of the other things folks discuss.

Last edited by Goose (4/30/2016 8:32 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/01/2016 8:18 pm  #5

Today we got Mom to agree to attend a support group. 
She's been on the front line alone.
This is a major break thru

5/11/2016 1:47 am  #6

Well, this is certainly a topic I'm up to my ears in now. I'll have to read the article more closely when I get some functional brain err, function in the near future.

I'm so scattered lately that I get that sinking feeling in my gut whenever I catch myself staring at a cup, wondering what I intended to put in it or some other awkwardly blank situation. With my aunt in the final stages and my mother in the deep end of the pool, I wonder when it's going to be my turn. And seeing first hand how it all goes down makes me (pardon the bluntness/darkness) certain that I will have a bullet reserved for the time when it finally gets kicking in my own brain. I'm all my mom's got, and we're pretty much a sinking ship...so I can only assume if I get a turn in this nasty little disease, I'll be on my own.

5/11/2016 4:54 am  #7

Hang in there, Joey. You aren't alone.
My father is sinking, and just made a frightening turn.

5/18/2016 1:41 pm  #8

Goose wrote:

Hang in there, Joey. You aren't alone.
My father is sinking, and just made a frightening turn.

Back atcha. Sorry you have to go through it all.

5/18/2016 8:25 pm  #9

oh Lord, sorry Goose... Joey, when you feel you're slipping, come down to Georgia so we can share whatever moments we can... I pray I don't get it but I already left instructions so my kids don't suffer because of me...

5/18/2016 9:34 pm  #10

Joey--have you no close cousins or other relatives or close, caring friends who will attend to your needs when needed.  Most of us will eventually suffer with some degree of dementia in our latest years and the time is now to make those arrangements, not to wait until you cannot be rational any longer.

I'm probably the oldest member of the Exchange and often find myself walking into the kitchen wondering why I wanted to go there; going into google and forgetting what I wanted to look up; not remembering how to spell some words when I'm typing on the keyboard even though I never had a problem before with spelling. We're all pone to maladjustments of our brain waves at one time or another and we all hope it is later than sooner.  My father died of an heat attack at age 78 so he never reached that stage and my mother died in her late eighties and still had all her marbles so I'm hoping I have inherited their genes.

Board footera