The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/29/2016 4:58 pm  #1

Turtle Soup

Outside of PA, are there many places that still have turtle soup ? 

I know I don't normally see it on the menu many places. Personally, I like it with a touch of sherry.

Here is an article about the demise of the soup (basically not enough turtles) 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/wild_things/2016/01/04/turtle_soup_disappeared_because_people_ate_too_many_turtles.html

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/29/2016 8:20 pm  #2

Re: Turtle Soup

There are lots of wetlands in western Massachusetts. And many snapping turtles. We will see them next month all over the place crawling out of the ponds to lay their eggs.
But, in 8 years living here I have never seen turtle on a restaurant menu, nor have I ever heard a long term resident talk about eating turtle. 
It's just not a MA thing, and it doesn't seem to be a question of supply, at least up here.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/01/2016 11:58 pm  #3

If you even mention turtle soup in Puerto Rico, and actually go through with acquiring the turtle, sit back and wait for the $25,000 fine!  Touch a manatee and the same thing goes... try to steal turtle eggs and you're in deep doo doo...

what kind of turtle is used here in the states?

5/02/2016 4:41 am  #4

In the US, especially the south, turtle soup is usually made with common snapping turtle, or the alligator snapping turtle.  I believe that they are farmed in the south.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/02/2016 6:18 am  #5

Offcenter Grille at the Yorktowne Hotel serves turtle soup with a decanter of sherry on the side.

It is one of their better offerings.

Life is an Orthros.

5/02/2016 7:00 am  #6

Tarnation wrote:

Offcenter Grille at the Yorktowne Hotel serves turtle soup with a decanter of sherry on the side.

It is one of their better offerings.

Thanks. 

I will have to try theirs. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/02/2016 9:18 am  #7

On our recent sailing trip to St. Martin, Anguilla, and St. Barth's we sailed to a small island called Flat Island between French St. Martin and Anguilla. We tied up to a mooring ball as the island and it's surrounding waters are a preservation area. After having lunch onboard we snorkeled in the bay that was a feeding ground for hawksbill turtles. We have snorkeled in places with turtles before, but this place was loaded with them and they pretty much ignored your presence. They would surface and dive right in front of you. It was pretty cool. I don't know how you guys can prepare, make soup out of, and eat these things . . . They are bigger than a soup bowl.

Board footera