The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/12/2015 8:41 am  #1

Baby Wrapped in American Flag

What do you think? Ok or not?

Baby Wrapped in American Flag Photo Stirs Up Controversy / Vanessa Hicks

U.S. Code § 8 - Respect for flag:

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

Last edited by Common Sense (3/12/2015 8:41 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/12/2015 10:08 am  #2

Re: Baby Wrapped in American Flag

In the scheme of things happening around the world, from my perspective, this falls into the same category as whether the dress is white & gold or blue & black.

It is not news. It is somebody drumming up an divisive issue to play upon the emotions of people.

Americans spend waaaay too much time worrying about the flag.

3/12/2015 10:11 am  #3

I'm all for respecting the flag, but some of those seem rather excessive to me.  JMO.

3/12/2015 10:48 am  #4

Rongone wrote:

In the scheme of things happening around the world, from my perspective, this falls into the same category as whether the dress is white & gold or blue & black.

It is not news. It is somebody drumming up an divisive issue to play upon the emotions of people.

Americans spend waaaay too much time worrying about the flag.

TOTALLY agree ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/12/2015 10:52 am  #5

Did a quick Google search and their are many pictures of babies ensconced in, wrapped around, or just generally loungind around on the American flag

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

3/12/2015 11:06 am  #6

While I don't believe this story is of the utmost importance -- (using the words that were from The Cuban Missile Crisis announcemens that were aired all day on most radio stations 53 years ago on that dark October day when the following announcement was given "...President Kennedy has a matter of the utmost importance to discuss with the American people tonight..", I do believe the use of the American flag in this manner is in very poor taste at the least, and at the most, disrespect for the greatest country and the many veterans who have fought to keep it that way.  What ever happened to respect and common decency?

Unfortunately I have never served in the U. S. military, but every veteran has a deep respect for the flag which represents the country they love and respect. However, one of the greatest experiences of my life was being a Boy Scout and eventually becoming an Eagle Scout. That experience taught me to respect and honor the flag as a symbol for the country that is still the greatest in the world. When I taught school I always tried to convey to my students that respect for our country as we pledged allegiance to the flag each morning - many times discussing what the pledge means and the benefits that we all enjoy from being a citizen of this great country. Not that we worship the flag but that we honor and repect the country that has given us so many blessings and freedoms and the many who sacrificed to make our country what it is.

I believe every American should follow the flag etiquette as stated above -- it is a sign of decency, and respect. We will always have those in our society who have no concept of good manners, etiquette, respect for others and their sacrifice, and politeness. I remember seeing the Hippie generation showing much more serious disrespect for our flag in the 1960's and 1970's, I remember seeing a few disrespecting the flag during the Civil Rights Movement, I remember anti-war protesters burning and tramping on the flag during the Vietnam War, and yes, even in recent times there have been examples of people deliberately disrespecting the flag as a means of protest. Old Glory has weathered all these and I believe (hopefully) will weather all the current and future mishandling and disrespect.

Last edited by JimmyBear (3/12/2015 11:15 am)

3/12/2015 11:27 am  #7

And yet the person holding the baby IS a US Navy sailor.  I understand the symbolism of what the veteran way trying to say despite the protocol surrounding the flag and its use. I actally looked at it as patriotic vs being a desecration in any sense. 

I guess that is what has stirred all the controversy. 

In any case I stand by my and Rongone's earlier statements on the whole issue. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/12/2015 12:09 pm  #8

Patriotism gone astray.

3/12/2015 12:29 pm  #9

I also look at the pic as being patriotic rather than being disrespectful.

3/12/2015 12:33 pm  #10

Being a former graphic designer, we often used flag graphics for Fourth of July sales and such.  Decorative painters use flag graphics and call it Americana.  No disrespect intended.

Board footera