The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/10/2015 4:30 pm  #11

Re: Republicans Warn Iran -- and Obama -- That Deal Won't Last

Yeah, I just thought that having a meeting with the big defense contractors (after the Netanyahu thing, and the letter he authored to Iran, and his stance he's been taking in the media that if Iran doesn't do exactly what the  U.S. says that we should pre-emptively take military action), would just be over the top. It gives me great cause for concern, especially because he does seem to be a very dangerous politician from what I've seen.

I just learned that Tom Cotton won his Senate seat with around 450,000 votes. York county has around that same number of people. That's not many votes for an entire state. It explains alot to me.

I also just realized that Cotton's only been on the job for 9 weeks or so, and he's already trying to herd us into another war. What the hell is with these people wanting to fight everybody all the time?! There is a good quote that says - "If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your enemies." By that parameter, you can tell who's really interested in peace and who's not.

Last edited by BYOB (3/10/2015 5:26 pm)

3/11/2015 7:10 am  #12

More information concerning the Logan Act from an article by Steven Nelson in US News & World Report:

GOP Senators Probably Broke Law With Iran Letter

Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., recruited nearly half of his colleagues in the Senate to sign a letter warning Iran's leaders they may oppose a nuclear deal.

Senators who reached out to Iran’s leaders to undermine President Barack Obama’s nuclear negotiations probably broke the law, and they're going to get away with it.

The law they probably broke, the Logan Act of 1799, allows for fines and up to three years in prison.

The act bans U.S. citizens from engaging “without authority of the United States” in “correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government ... with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government ... in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States.”

Fortunately for Republican Sen. Tom Cotton of Arkansas and the 46 Senate co-signers of his open letter to Iran, the law is not enforced and is likely unconstitutional.

“They probably were in violation of the act, yes,” says Stephen Vladeck, a professor at the American University Washington College of Law.

House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, probably broke the law, too, by working with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to undermine the nuclear negotiations with Iran, he says.

But Vladeck, co-editor-in-chief of the legal blog Just Security, says senators could argue they were indeed acting with the authority of the United States or more convincingly that the act violates the First Amendment.

“The Logan Act is a vestigial and anachronistic holdover from a bygone era,” he says. “There's never been a successful prosecution under the act, and the last indictment was in 1803."

[b]Jonathan Turley, a law professor at the George Washington University, says "if the Logan Act was ever enforced you would have to frog march half of Congress out the front doors and into a federal penitentiary."[b]

Turley compares the likelihood of a prosecution under the act to “the chances of being eaten by a Tyrannosaurus rex on Capitol Hill.”

“The Logan Act comes from a rather dark period in which this country imposed the Alien and Sedition Acts,” he says. “The language of the Logan Act is sweeping and in my view facially unconstitutional.”
A spokeswoman for Cotton did not respond to a request for comment.

The obscure, unenforced act periodically becomes a topic of conversation, such as when then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi met with Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad in 2007, and likely will continue to do so until it’s repealed.

I kind of like the visual of "frog marching half of Congress out the front doors and into a federal penitentiary". Maybe we should enforce the law.

3/11/2015 11:56 am  #13

I'm down with that.

I do have to wonder whether the list of past Congresspeople doing similar stuff is accurate. Were those instances actually in the middle of a multi-country negotiation?

Looks like PA Senator Pat Toomey was a signer of the letter. God, I just love Pennsylvania.

3/11/2015 12:52 pm  #14

Worth a read......

The 47 Republican signatories to an open letter discouraging the Iranian government from striking a nuclear deal with the Obama administration have been denounced for committing a broad spectrum of infractions: from the conceptual misdemeanor of embarrassing the president as he conducts U.S. foreign policy to genuine felonies like violating the Logan Actwhich prohibits individuals from conducting freelance diplomacy with foreign governmentsand outright treason.

These critics are so fixated on the form of the action these senators took that they’ve drowned out most substantive criticisms of its inept strategy and the GOP’s unspoken foreign policy objective
regime change in Iran. With respect to both the merits of the accusations, and the direction of their focus, they’re also wrong.

To see why, consider these two thought experiments.

First, imagine that Senator Tom Cotton, who drafted the offending document, had written it as an opinion column rather than an open letter. Senate Republicans didn’t send the Iranian government any private correspondence as far as we know. They didn’t “send” anything at all, really, except perhaps to select reporters. They issued a press release, and then slapped the equivalent of “Dear Sirs” on top of it. If 47 Republican senators had instead co-bylined an op-ed containing all of the same factual information that appears in the letter, and with Iranian officials as its intended audience, nobody would’ve questioned its legality or legitimacy.

The letter begins, “It has come to our attention while observing your nuclear negotiations with our government that you may not fully understand our constitutional system. Thus, we are writing to bring to your attention two features of our Constitution.” This is a genuinely preposterous supposition. But imagine it appeared in the Wall Street Journal’s opinion section rendered as, “It has come to our attention while observing nuclear negotiations between our government and the government of Iran that some of the parties may not fully understand our constitutional system. Thus, we are writing to raise awareness of two features of our Constitution.”

This would have been a terrible, tedious op-ed. Its subversiveness might have caused a stir. But I can’t imagine anyone would have called it treasonous.

Cotton’s execution here was reckless and feckless in equal measure. And yes, it’s unconventional for a partisan congressional caucus to undermine a sitting president’s foreign policy like this. But you can’t untangle his tactics from his goals unless you’re willing to accept a certain level of congressional abdication from foreign policy under all circumstances. What makes Cotton reckless isn’t so much that he’s willing to go to extraordinary lengths to achieve his purpose. Its that his purpose is extremely unwise.

Not everyone in Congress has such bad ideas. In 2003, too many Democrats voted to grant President George W. Bush the authority to use military force in Iraq. This was a generational error. We’d all be better off today if they’d refused, and that wouldn’t have violated any vaunted foreign policy norms. But what if convincing fellow Senate Democrats to resist the Bush administration required extraordinary interference? If a Democrat had read conflicting weapons of mass destruction intelligence into the record on the Senate floor and warned the British government and other allies that Bush was manipulating them into war. This would’ve ruptured the normative foundations of foreign policy like an earthquake. It also would have been protected by the Constitution, and worth the damage.

An alternate history in which a meddling Democrat derails (or merely disrupts) war with Iraq must also include the fact that Republicans like Tom Cotton would have called him a traitor. And that they’d probably have destroyed his political career—especially if the effort had been successful, and thus never vindicated by a disastrous war.

But hypocrisy is beside the point. What matters is whether Republicans today are acting out of a sense of public duty, and whether their objectives are wise and achievable.I think scuttling a deal to clear the path to regime change is both irresponsible and far-fetched. I also think the atmospherics surrounding the letter itself—that it was written by an ambitious Republican freshman, that GOP presidential hopefuls signed the letter but moderates and experienced foreign policy hands did not, that Cotton is hoping to recruit Republican signatories outside the Senate—suggests Cotton is engaging in intra-coalition politics, rather than solely advancing his substantive foreign policy goals.

Last edited by TheLagerLad (3/11/2015 12:53 pm)

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

3/11/2015 1:03 pm  #15

The word WILL reach Tehran that there is a totally mixed political agenda here when trying to strike any deal and that alone could nix a deal of any sort. It is really a sad commentary of trying to do any negotiations. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/11/2015 1:14 pm  #16

'Thought experiments',.............I like it!

I mostly agree with what the article says, but the Bush/Iraq war thing sounds a little off to me. How could members of Congress be against the Iraq war if they didn't know they were being lied to at the time? I'm sure there were some who were against it simply because they are generally against war, but back then, they didn't have the luxury of hindsight yet.

In my opinion, what makes Cotton reckless and unwise is the fact that he doesn't seem to know when he should or shouldn't be willing to go to extraordinary lengths to achieve a purpose. The ability to know the difference is important.

3/11/2015 1:18 pm  #17

BYOB wrote:

What the hell is with these people wanting to fight everybody all the time?! There is a good quote that says - "If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your enemies." By that parameter, you can tell who's really interested in peace and who's not.

They are itching for a war.  They want Armageddon because they think it will bring on the Rapture and they will float to Heaven.  They want to fulfill their Biblical prophesy.  They don't care about soldiers, their families, civilians or anyone who gets hurt or killed.  They care only for themselves.

3/11/2015 1:30 pm  #18

florentine wrote:

BYOB wrote:

What the hell is with these people wanting to fight everybody all the time?! There is a good quote that says - "If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your enemies." By that parameter, you can tell who's really interested in peace and who's not.

They are itching for a war. They want Armageddon because they think it will bring on the Rapture and they will float to Heaven. They want to fulfill their Biblical prophesy. They don't care about soldiers, their families, civilians or anyone who gets hurt or killed. They care only for themselves.

If it's war they want, by all means they should hop on a plane to Iraq or Syria. I heard you can sneak in through Turkey.

3/12/2015 7:59 pm  #19

The Hill's A.B. Stoddard nails the real screw up by the GOP with their "letter" to Iran....

Torpedoing a bipartisan, veto-proof majority to cement Congress’s role in a deal with Iran, undercutting pledges of the new GOP majority in the Senate to govern and undermining a future Republican president — these probably weren’t freshman Sen. Tom Cotton’s (R-Ark.) goals with his open letter to the leaders of Iran. 

But some or all of these will be the result.

Dissenters have now agreed publicly that the letter was a dumb idea. Even some who signed it lament that it perhaps was an error. Cotton might have realized when Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) said no thanks that the letter would be counterproductive, not just controversial. Corker, working to round up enough Democratic votes to override a presidential veto of legislation requiring any deal to be submitted to Congress for a 60-day review, has spoken openly about how the letter hampers his efforts. One can only imagine what he told Cotton behind closed doors.

What the letter, signed by 46 other Republican senators but no Democrats, said was partly true. Should the White House bypass the U.S. Congress, “the next president could revoke such an executive agreement with a stroke of a pen and future congresses could modify the terms of the agreement at any time.” Sounds like a great talking point for the Sunday shows or an op-ed in a newspaper, all of which would have been digested by every key party in Iran, from the supreme leader down to the body men of those negotiating the specifics. 

Instead, Cotton’s snarky letter sparked a backlash not only from the president, the vice president, congressional Democrats and the foreign policy community, it shifted the debate from the substance of a deal to tactics that portray the United States as so woefully divided that its leaders are willing to circumvent and embarrass one another. The letter was especially tone-deaf because it came just days after Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell attempted to put Corker’s bill up for a vote — before the March 24 deadline for the framework of a deal — but pulled it after Democrats planning to vote for it accused him of using the issue for political gain.

This breach of protocol is hardly the first. Democrats, and other Republicans, have long interfered with the foreign policy moves of presidents from the opposing party. These 47 Republicans are not traitors, and probably didn’t violate the Logan Act of 1799. Moreover, President Obama’s refusal to engage Congress on the terms of the deal with Iran is wrong. Republicans concerned about the deal, and the Democrats who agree with them, are justifiably frustrated that they are being shut out. On Fox News Channel’s “On The Record,” Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said of the letter: “Maybe that wasn’t exactly the best way to do that, but I think that the Iranians should know that, that the Congress of the United States has to play a role.”

This cheap mistake surely, in even a small way, jeopardized the odds of getting the strongest deal possible with Iran and, more importantly, making sure Iran — not the United States — shoulders the blame for failure to reach one. Heaping wrong upon wrong cannot help our efforts to prevent a nuclear Iran. The Cotton letter not only threatens the deal but our relations with the other permanent members of the United Nations Security Council that the United States is counting on to continue multilateral sanctions against Iran. It also promises to inspire the worst behavior from the left of the Democratic Party next time there is a Republican in the White House. 

Maybe Cotton the rookie didn’t know better, but many of his 46 co-signers did. They should have stopped him.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

3/13/2015 12:38 pm  #20

It does make one wonder why his fellow Republicans did let him do this. Is it because they are using some type of weird reverse psychology to out him as a nut to get him and any credibility he had kind of out of their way for the future? I'm stumped. Or are they just all hyped up on a Netanyahu speech high like a bunch of meth heads?

Board footera