The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2015 1:51 pm  #1

Republicans Warn Iran -- and Obama -- That Deal Won't Last

Republicans Warn Iran -- and Obama -- That Deal Won't Last

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-03-09/republicans-warn-iran-and-obama-that-deal-won-t-last

A group of 47 Republican senators has written an open letter to Iran's leaders warning them that any nuclear deal they sign with President Barack Obama's administration won’t last after Obama leaves office.Organized by freshman Senator Tom Cotton and signed by the chamber's entire party leadership as well as potential 2016 presidential contenders Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz and Rand Paul, the letter is meant not just to discourage the Iranian regime from signing a deal but also to pressure the White House into giving Congress some authority over the process.“It has come to our attention while observing your nuclear negotiations with our government that you may not fully understand our constitutional system … Anything not approved by Congress is a mere executive agreement,” the senators wrote. “The next president could revoke such an executive agreement with the stroke of a pen and future Congresses could modify the terms of the agreement at any time.”

Last edited by Common Sense (3/09/2015 1:51 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/09/2015 1:54 pm  #2

Re: Republicans Warn Iran -- and Obama -- That Deal Won't Last

Advice & Consent
https://www.senate.gov/general/Features/Treaties_display.htm

Treaties The Constitution gives to the Senate the sole power to approve, by a two-thirds vote, treaties negotiated by the executive branch. The Senate does not ratify treaties. Instead, the Senate takes up a resolution of ratification, by which the Senate formally gives its advice and consent, empowering the president to proceed with ratification. The Senate of the First Congress set the precedent for how it would handle treaty consideration. When President George Washington visited the Senate Chamber in August 1789 to seek advice and consent on a pending treaty, he became frustrated when the senators referred the treaty to committee for further discussion. Another 130 years would pass before another president of the United States personally delivered a treaty to the Senate. On July 10, 1919, President Woodrow Wilson asked for a quick consent to the Treaty of Versailles.

Last edited by Common Sense (3/09/2015 1:54 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/09/2015 2:17 pm  #3

Okay, but since when does a small group of affiliated members of one segment of one branch of the federal government have the unmitigated hubris to independently decide that their small caucus has the right to dictate the intent of international agreements with a sovereign foreign government?

I believe these self confident "patriots" have only one goal in their misguided missive to Iran. And it is purely political. It is to undermine presidential authority and personally demean the current duly elected occupant of the White House.

From my perspective, actions such as this do not bode well for the stature of the United States domestically nor on the international stage. Shame on those children and their childish ways who initiate these ill thought out childish pranks.

3/09/2015 3:08 pm  #4

Correct me if I am wrong, but whatever agreement that was going to be worked out in regards to Iran wasn't going to be a treaty anyway. It was going to be an agreement between several nations, including the U.S. But wouldn't rise to the level of needing the Senate to advise and consent to the deal.

I suppose the Senate republicans are correct in saying that a future president could scrap the deal, (although that future president may feel blowback from Britain, France and Germany, all who are participating in the negotiations) but I'm fairly certain the Iranians knew that anyway.

Seems like a bunch of nonsense to me, and to Rongone's point, reflects poorly on the United States to provide a unified front to the rest of the world regardless of what internal squabbles we are having about it.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

3/09/2015 3:50 pm  #5

Well, now they're taking their hissy fit global. I can not tell you how embarassed I am of these people and their incessant acts of sabotage and the lengths to which they will go to try to take this elected president down. Whether you agree with the President's political leanings or not, this is just stupid, and childish as Rongone said. 

That was a good point Lager, about the other nations participating in the negotiations. I feel like they are completely disregarding that factor, as if it's just us and Iran. If that alone dosen't illustrate the fact that this is about politics foremost, then I don't know what does.

3/09/2015 5:22 pm  #6

And if you look at the people who signed this, it is almost entirely white, southern men.  They cannot let it go.  They are obsessed with bringing our president down.  Shameful.......

3/09/2015 7:18 pm  #7

The Logan Act 

In United States v. Curtiss-Wright Export Corp. Justice Sutherland wrote in the majority opinion: "The President alone has the power to speak or listen as a representative of the nation. He makes treaties with the advice and consent of the Senate; but he alone negotiates. Into the field of negotiation the Senate cannot intrude, and Congress itself is powerless to invade it." Sutherland also notes in his opinion the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations report to the Senate of February 15, 1816:

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/10/2015 8:20 am  #8

Well tennyson, it doesn't look like the Logan Act means squat to those 47 Republicans. I watched Senator Tom Cotton on Morning Joe this morning, and all he could say was to basically just keep repeating "we do not want Iran to have nuclear weapons" in answer to all the questions. Well no s*#t sherlock! No one wants Iran to have nuclear weapons. What the hell does he think the President and his administration are doing over there - helping them build one? Oddly, they are against the agreement the President is working towards, without even knowing what the agreement is!     ???????

3/10/2015 3:44 pm  #9

3/10/2015 3:59 pm  #10

Cotton is a highly educated snake oil salesman who wraps himself in his self styled patriotic cloak of infallibility due to his combat service in Iraq & Afghanistan. His entire campaign against his senatorial opponent in Arkansas revolved around his military service. It is no surprise that he would suck up to lobbyists that represent defense contractors.

While I respect his service, I cannot accept his chicken hawk positions that seems to highlight his complete misunderstanding of international affairs, diplomacy, and constitutional authority. I consider Mr. Cotton a very dangerous, tunnel visioned, self engrandizing politician. Think of him as Ted Cruz with half of a brain . . . I consider Cruz of lacking a brain.

Board footera