The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/07/2015 3:44 pm  #1

Spring forward!

Why We Have Daylight Saving Time

Here are some DST facts:

• Daylight Saving Time originated in Germany on April 30, 1916.
  • In the U.S., a seasonal version of DST was signed into law in 1918 by President Woodrow Wilson to help World War I efforts.
  • President Franklin D. Roosevelt enacted year-round DST in the U.S. in 1942.
  • DST caused confusion for bus and train schedules when states and localities were not mandated to use it. In 1966, congress passed the Uniform Time Act declaring everyone must participate.
  • More than 70 countries world-wide honor Daylight Saving Time.
  • The current U.S. schedule began in 2007 and follows the Energy Policy Act of 2005.

Source: TimeAndDate.com

Last edited by Common Sense (3/07/2015 3:46 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/07/2015 3:47 pm  #2

Re: Spring forward!

I still say we should spring forward 2 hours. Give me sunlight until 10:00 during the height of summer so I can get a full 18 in after work.

3/07/2015 5:49 pm  #3

I love DST.  I find standard time downright depressing.

3/07/2015 8:02 pm  #4

The problem with the time zones is that they were established for the convenience of the railroads and drawn so that the major terminals were at zone boundaries. The western boundary of the Eastern Time zone is really too far west...it should have been at Columbus but was set at the OH/IN boundary. At the other edge, the state of Maine should really be in Atlantic.

As for the 2005 changes implemented in 2007, the morning darkness we will experience for the next week or so is no worse than what we have from December 22 through January 15.   The difference is that the solsticetide sunrise doesn't budge for three weeks; but  now the sunrise will be earlier by one or two minutes each day.   Plus the sun angle is higher so morning twilight begins earlier before sunrise.

Life is an Orthros.

3/08/2015 7:42 am  #5

This always wears me out.

I'll be ragged for the next two weeks or so.

I can see the logic behind DST but they're enacting it way too early in the year and letting it run way too long.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

3/08/2015 8:45 am  #6

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

This always wears me out.

I'll be ragged for the next two weeks or so.

I can see the logic behind DST but they're enacting it way too early in the year and letting it run way too long.

I am with you 1000%! I don't like the change.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/08/2015 10:25 am  #7

Like the change in time for the longer daylight in the evening.  Not happy with the earlier beginning date though.  April was soon enough. 

3/08/2015 2:51 pm  #8

The first week in March seems one week too early, IMHO.

The only good thing is that, with this change, the "spring forward" day will never affect western Palm Sunday or Easter.   Often churches have a slightly altered schedule on one or both of those days.

While we're on that, why should DST always begin on a Sunday?  It would be good for the business and financial world to endure what churches have had to put up with for decades.  Maybe DST should be on a definite day--say, March 15, the foreboding "ides of March"--irrespective of the day of the week.   Some years a Monday, some years a Sunday, some years a Saturday.

Life is an Orthros.

3/09/2015 6:41 am  #9

When we lose an hour, I always feel like I have some sort of weird mild jet-lag. (without the added benefit of having traveled to somewhere nice) Boo/hiss. 

Last edited by BYOB (3/09/2015 6:42 am)

3/09/2015 8:41 pm  #10

Growing up, my dad had the habit of advancing the clock (last Sunday of April way back when) in the late afternoon, so that evening meal, activities, and most, importantly, bedtime were all on the DST.

It has taken me many decades but now I am realizing his wisdom.   I made the change around 7:30 standard/8:30 daylight, slept well, and woke refreshed.   No sense of fatigue.  

I mind the fall change more.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera