The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/06/2015 3:01 pm  #11

Re: Private police carry guns and make arrests, and their ranks are swelli

The more I think about this, the more wrongs I see with it. How are average people supposed to differentiate between somebody impersonating a cop for nefarious reasons, and one who is a 'private' cop impersonating a 'real' cop? Why not just go become a 'real' cop?

And it also makes me think of the disaster of 'private' contractors in war. That all started out hunky-dory too.

(Can I also say that when I read the title of this topic it's kind of alarming, like a headline from another country.
"Private police carry guns and make arrests, and their ranks are swelling" )

Last edited by BYOB (3/06/2015 3:12 pm)

3/06/2015 3:09 pm  #12

Makes me think of George Zimmerman

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/06/2015 3:24 pm  #13

Mmmm, me too, and that's disturbing. That's just what we need, a fleet of Zimmermans, seal-team-sixin' it around our neighborhoods at night. Somethings bound to go wrong. Probably sooner rather than later.

3/06/2015 3:25 pm  #14

It would scare the bejesus out of me if one of these self-appointed yahoos came up to me toting a gun.  Just what the country needs is self-appointed, righteous ignoramuses going around flashing badges and guns "arresting" people.  What do  trhe real police authorities have to say about them?

3/06/2015 3:27 pm  #15

BYOB wrote:

Mmmm, me too, and that's disturbing. That's just what we need, a fleet of Zimmermans, seal-team-sixin' it around our neighborhoods at night. Somethings bound to go wrong. Probably sooner rather than later.

Put your hands in the air, and step away from the Skittles!

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/06/2015 3:32 pm  #16

Goose wrote:

BYOB wrote:

Put your hands in the air, and step away from the Skittles!

At least you're giving the option to step away. Hey, want a gun and a badge? You sound qualified! All you need is what, a work week's worth of training?

Last edited by BYOB (3/06/2015 3:32 pm)

3/06/2015 4:23 pm  #17

Is this really just a naming thing? I mean, private companies, homeowners associations, etc hire security firms all the time. Some of those security forces are armed and have arrest or detention capabilities.

If I understand the Virginia law, this just allows people to be independent contractors instead of working through an agency.

The requirements to be a Virginia SCOP seems exessively weak. The WaPo article says they are increasing training but I still think they seem to be too low. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

3/06/2015 4:27 pm  #18

I get homeowners' associations hiring people to provide security for their private property.
But, empowering these guys to do traffic stops, and write tickets for a suspended driver's license or other infractions of law?
I don't think it's a good idea.

3/07/2015 10:59 am  #19

Didn't we used to call these groups "Vigilantes"?

Although it could lead to a resurgence of such groups like The Guardian Angels, Hell's Angels acting as concert security, and the KKK.

Can't wait for the barrage of lawsuits that will be inevitably filed on behalf of plaintiffs arrested, fined, or just generally harassed by these pseudo "law officers".

3/07/2015 12:02 pm  #20

Training that a police officer would attend.

Virginia Criminal Justice Services Training Manual and Compulsory Minimum Training Standards
http://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/standardsTraining/compulsoryMinimumTraining/cjsmanual-LAWCH5_PerformanceLE.pdf

Virigina State Police AcademyOne of the Academy's chief functions is to conduct training for the Department's new Trooper Trainees.  Each basic session consists of 33 weeks of training, to include:

• Fourteen weeks of basic classroom instruction
  • Four weeks of field training in their home county with an experienced Field Training Officer (FTO)
  • An additional 15 weeks of classroom instruction
  • Six to eight weeks of post-academy field training

The curriculum includes 123 subject areas and over 1,536 hours of instruction.  Classroom subjects include laws of arrests, search and seizure procedures, and testifying in court.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Training_Basic.shtm

Last edited by Common Sense (3/07/2015 12:03 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

Board footera