The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2015 11:51 am  #1

Continued updates on Oral Arguments in King v. Burwell

Continued updates on Oral Arguments in [i]King v. Burwell [/i]

http://www.scotusblog.com/2015/03/continued-updates-on-oral-arguments-in-king-v-burwell/#more-225683

Last edited by Common Sense (3/04/2015 11:52 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/04/2015 12:16 pm  #2

Re: Continued updates on Oral Arguments in King v. Burwell

What a "mess" for millions of Americans that will not be able to afford their insurance IF the subsidies are taken away for those who purchased on the government system !! 

Of course some of the recent SCOTUS decisions have not worried too much about public impact. 

Also, what a mess for the R-tribe to come up with some alternative since THEY are the ones responsible for wanting the ACA shutdown. 

Last edited by tennyson (3/04/2015 12:24 pm)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/04/2015 12:19 pm  #3

Good post Common. SCOTUSblog is where it's at.

The oral arguments only provide tea leaves so I would caution anyone from reading too much into what justice asked what, or whether a lawyer nailed or flopped on an answer. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

3/04/2015 12:21 pm  #4

tennyson wrote:

What a "mess" for millions of Americans that will not be able to afford their insurance if the subsidies are taken away for those who purchased on the government system !! 

Of course some of the recent SCOTUS decisions have not worried too much about public impact. 

Also, what a mess for the R-tribe to come up with some alternative since THEY are the ones responsible for wanting the ACA shutdown. 

The GOP may want the ACA shut down, but if the court rules in favor of King, it's the Dems who will have to kick themselves for making the wrong assumptions about the implementation of the ACA. 

Last edited by TheLagerLad (3/04/2015 12:27 pm)

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

3/04/2015 12:39 pm  #5

The GOP may want the ACA shut down, but if the court rules in favor of King, it's the Dems who will have to kick themselves for making the wrong assumptions about the implementation of the ACA. 

So then fix it.  The proponents of affordable health insurance for everyone may have assumed each state would set up their own exchanges not taking into account the political disfunction that has paralyzed our country.  Some states punted on that one.  I get that.  Ok, so what was the intent of the law in the first place?

So take affordable health insurance away from 8 or 10 million of our fellow citizens and if faced with a medical bill crisis, they (or their friends) could do what that Richard Mack guy did and beg for help.  sounds like a solid plan to me. 

3/04/2015 1:01 pm  #6

TheLagerLad wrote:

tennyson wrote:

What a "mess" for millions of Americans that will not be able to afford their insurance if the subsidies are taken away for those who purchased on the government system !! 

I doubt if the people who would be loosing coverage will blame the D-tribe since all the ones making a fuss over this and wanting it repealed are from the R-tribe.  

We obviously WILL see the reaction IF the SCOTUS rules that the subsidies are not valid for the government purchased plans. 

Last edited by tennyson (3/04/2015 1:02 pm)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/04/2015 1:37 pm  #7

Here is an interesting opinion piece that claims there will be more losers than just the people losing insurance IF the courts decide abainst some of the subsidies. 

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/court-ruling-overturning-obamacare-could-hurt-your-wallet-2015-03-04

3/04/2015 2:18 pm  #8

Do you think the court will rule only on the actual law OR will they look at what could happen if they rule against or for ACA?    

Wish we could be there when the justices gather to discuss this case.

Last edited by Common Sense (3/04/2015 2:19 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/04/2015 2:32 pm  #9

Good question, Common.  It is my hope they take the intent of the law into consideration. 

3/04/2015 3:35 pm  #10

Just Fred wrote:

So then fix it.  The proponents of affordable health insurance for everyone may have assumed each state would set up their own exchanges not taking into account the political disfunction that has paralyzed our country.  Some states punted on that one.  I get that.  Ok, so what was the intent of the law in the first place?

So take affordable health insurance away from 8 or 10 million of our fellow citizens and if faced with a medical bill crisis, they (or their friends) could do what that Richard Mack guy did and beg for help.  sounds like a solid plan to me. 

You say fix it as if everyone is Congress is on the same page in wanting to even have the law. Clearly, this isn't the case.

But let's forget about all of that for a second. We have no idea how the Court will rule. This may be a lot of worrying for nothing.

Board footera