The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/20/2016 6:40 am  #1

Death, the Prosperity Gospel and Me

Deat

Last edited by Goose (3/06/2016 6:23 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/20/2016 9:13 am  #2

Re: Death, the Prosperity Gospel and Me

The "prosperity gospe" or "health and wealth" is the most pernicious and destructive heresy of our day; ignoring the plain words of Christ to take up one's cross and follow; the latter writings of the New Testament; and the witness of the martyrs.

God had a way of dealing with heretics throughout the ages.   His preferred m.o. is death.

The health and wealth folks have no explanation for death except to "blame the viciim"; and in one sense, they are right:   Death is a consequence of sin and all sin.  Of course the blamers themselves will fall under the same sentence in due time.

Life is an Orthros.

2/20/2016 10:42 am  #3

Death is merely a consequence of life. 

It is what we do in between that counts. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/20/2016 11:13 am  #4

True. Although there are SOME who are not just looking at the money side, most seem to appear on the surface as the poster depicts. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/20/2016 1:10 pm  #5

tennyson wrote:

Death is merely a consequence of life. 

It is what we do in between that counts. 

Life is fatal.

Most tombstones have a name with dates beneath:
XXXX - XXXX
It is how we deal with the dash that matters.

My favorite meditation on death was written in the eighth century by John of Damascus

I Called to mind the Prophet who shouted, "I am but earth and ash." And once again I looked with attention on the tombs, and I saw the bones therein which of flesh were naked; and I said, "Which indeed is he that is king? Or which is soldier? Which is the wealthy, which the needy? Which the righteous, or which the sinner?" But to Your servant, O Lord, grant that with the righteous he (she) may repose.

The death which You have endured, O Lord, is become the harbinger of deathlessness; if You had not been laid in Your tomb, then would not the gates of Paradise have been opened;wherefore to him (her) now gone from us give rest, for You are the Friend of Mankind.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera