The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2015 2:57 pm  #1

Top 5 scams that affected Pennsylvanians in 2014

Attorney General Kathleen Kane lists top 5 scams that affected Pennsylvanians in 2014
http://www.ydr.com/local/ci_27627566/attorney-general-kathleen-kane-lists-top-5-scams

No, your grandchild probably doesn't need you to wire thousands of dollars to an offshore account to get out of trouble.That's probably just another telephone scam.Such scams have been a problem in York County, according to two local officials. In total, 1,300 local written consumer complaints were submitted to the Pennsylvania Attorney General office's Bureau of Consumer Protection in 2014.That office received more than 124,000 consumer-related inquiries throughout the year for the state, which is 14,000 more than it did the year before, according to Carolyn Myers, an assistant press secretary for the agency.

Last edited by Common Sense (3/03/2015 2:57 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/03/2015 7:29 pm  #2

Re: Top 5 scams that affected Pennsylvanians in 2014

Seriously?

Someone fell for someone telling them they had to wire money to get their grandchild out of trouble?

Wouldn't it be a good idea to call the parent to find out what the trouble is?

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

3/03/2015 8:06 pm  #3

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

Seriously?

Someone fell for someone telling them they had to wire money to get their grandchild out of trouble?

Wouldn't it be a good idea to call the parent to find out what the trouble is?

Unfortunately, this scams work mostly on the elderly, who may not have all their mental faculties they once possessed. 

3/03/2015 8:13 pm  #4

Isn't one of Dante's circles in hell reserved for scammers that target the elderly? If not, there should be. I've helped out a few elderly people who got wrapped up in bad stuff, and it makes me very angry.

3/03/2015 9:03 pm  #5

BYOB wrote:

Isn't one of Dante's circles in hell reserved for scammers that target the elderly? If not, there should be. I've helped out a few elderly people who got wrapped up in bad stuff, and it makes me very angry.

I see this sometimes at work.

I just get so worked up but there isn't a damn thing I can do about it.

I'd be breaking the law by reporting it.

What do you do when there's nothing you can do?

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

3/03/2015 9:06 pm  #6

Why would you be breaking the law by reporting it?

3/03/2015 9:15 pm  #7

BYOB wrote:

Why would you be breaking the law by reporting it?

Everything in a client's record is either covered under HIPPA or the State's laws and regulations.

One of my coworkers was suspended for three days without pay for looking up someone's address.

I'd probably lose my job if I reported any personal or financial information.

No good deed will go unpunished.

-Me again

3/03/2015 9:22 pm  #8

Oh, got it. I didn't realize you meant personal records. That's tough to know what you know and not be able to set the wrongs right. It can wear on your soul. You must be a strong person to do what you do.

As far as no good deed going unpunished, that may be true while we're here, but karma doesn't work on earth time.

3/04/2015 6:37 am  #9

Brady Bunch wrote:

Unfortunately, this scams work mostly on the elderly, who may not have all their mental faculties they once possessed.

And who also grew up in a time when phone and internet scams didn't really exist, and a person's word was more frequently taken at face value.

Friend of mine used to work at a convenience store and he could spot this stuff a mile away - seniors would come in and purchase high-value prepaid debit cards/money cards (a common tactic by the scammers, who then have the unwitting purchaser provide them with the card's number and info so they can access the money). He'd often make small talk with them, ask them what they were buying it for, and if it sounded like they were wrapped up in a scam he'd advise them to check into who they were sending the money to, or to talk to the police first. Beyond that there was only so much that could be done, sadly.

3/04/2015 8:50 am  #10

I think Max power has the answer. The people being taken advantage of grew up at a time when a person’s word and a hand shake actually meant something. That’s how business was done. Verbally and a hand shake! Our older generation takes a person’s word as the gospel. So the vile scum will exploit that. I hope there is a special place in HELL for someone who takes advantage of and older person. Just think of the fear that person has after it is found that they were scammed…………….

Last edited by Common Sense (3/04/2015 8:51 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

Board footera