The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/10/2016 9:29 am  #1

Sears announces it's closing at least 50 stores

I got my first credit card with Sears. It had a $300 limit. Many, many years ago.

Sears announces it's closing at least 50 stores
http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/09/news/companies/sears-kmart-stores-closing/index.html

Sears doesn't want to waste any time.The retailer announced on Tuesday that it planned to "accelerate" the closing of at least 50 "unprofitable stores."Sears (SHLD), which also owns Kmart, originally planned to close the stores over the next few months, but poor sales have sped up the timeline.In its earnings report Tuesday, Sears said it expects total revenue to hit $7.3 billion for the fourth quarter -- down from $8.1 billion last year.

Shares of the company's stock were valued at more than $15 on Tuesday -- down from nearly $45 a share in May 2015.Sears said warmer weather and increased competition were partly to blame, as they hurt sales during the important winter holiday. Apparel sales in particular took a big hit.Sears said apparel sales have "a substantial impact on our overall profitability." The retailer said it planned to improve this area by adjusting clothing prices and offering more variety. 

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

2/10/2016 9:38 am  #2

Re: Sears announces it's closing at least 50 stores

Minor point, it was KMART that bought SEARS in 2004 for 11 Billion. 

Seemed to me it was delaying what was wrong with BOTH brands and it seemed (again to me) that neither fixed themselves for the better.  

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/10/2016 9:45 am  #3

I guess it's just the way people shop now. On-line shopping takes many customers away.
Sad that Sears is slowing failing.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

2/10/2016 1:07 pm  #4

Never was a Sears shopper outside of the absolute best grilled hot dogs and a frosty mug of ice cold Hires root beer most of the stores had years ago.

2/10/2016 1:11 pm  #5

flowergirl wrote:

Never was a Sears shopper outside of the absolute best grilled hot dogs and a frosty mug of ice cold Hires root beer most of the stores had years ago.

OMG you just took me back to when I was five years old and that was a major treat for me and my sisters. I totally forgot about that.

Here's a fun game to play.....

When was the last time you bought something from Sears?

For me, it was 2006. I bought my first hi-def TV from them. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

2/10/2016 1:58 pm  #6

When was the last time you bought something from Sears?

2015 -- bought a stainless steel Kenmore range & oven from the Sears outlet store in Newark, DE

We also plan on purchasing kitchen appliances for my daughter's beach house renovation from the same place.

2/10/2016 4:00 pm  #7

flowergirl wrote:

Ditto those wonderful old memories of Sears. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/10/2016 4:01 pm  #8

Don't even remember now but it was many years ago. Might have been some of their hand tools. They had a life time warranty. Not happy with it just take it back and they would replace it.

2/10/2016 5:29 pm  #9

tennyson wrote:

flowergirl wrote:

Ditto those wonderful old memories of Sears. 

Likewise.

My parents swore by the Sears laundry powder and for years that was the only type I would buy.

When I learned that by national policy Sears does not permit The Salvation Army to have its trademark red kettles at its stores I switched brands....to a WalMart brand, in part because WalMart supports the kettles.

Life is an Orthros.

2/10/2016 7:49 pm  #10

Hmmm.  Seems I remember way back when of at least one person I knew who felt the same way about Sears laundry detergent.  Maybe others too.  These things seem to gravitate to neighbors, friends and relations.

Board footera