The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2015 3:02 pm  #11

Re: What About Iran

BYOB wrote:

I would also like the President to give a speech on his goals with Iran. 

Netanyahu may have some decent points, but...........says the guy who seemed to have no qualms about killing a whole lot of Palestinian children. I feel like I can't totally trust him, and that is a problem for me.

At the end of the day, none of this matters. 

It's not like the GOP was going to back Obama on whatever deal he came up with Iran. And Obama has no reason to change his gameplan with Iran. They're too far into the negotiations.

I'll agree with those who say this was some political theater for both Bibi and the Republicans. 

But I also thought Netanyahu made some legitimate points in his speech.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

3/03/2015 3:16 pm  #12

At the end of the day, none of this matters.  - Lager

True, but it gives us something to discuss anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsMI9MEkNiA

Last edited by BYOB (3/03/2015 3:17 pm)

3/03/2015 3:27 pm  #13

A bit off topic, maybe, but as long as Israel exists in this part of the world, this ain't ever going to end and I'll be damned if they're going to suck us into another war over there.  Netanyahu can go pound sand for I care and I hope he loses his re-election.

Prediction:  If we are on the verge of WWIII, Netanyahu will light the fuse.  I don't like this guy.  I really don't.

3/03/2015 3:45 pm  #14

Just Fred wrote:

A bit off topic, maybe, but as long as Israel exists in this part of the world, this ain't ever going to end and I'll be damned if they're going to suck us into another war over there.  Netanyahu can go pound sand for I care and I hope he loses his re-election.

Prediction:  If we are on the verge of WWIII, Netanyahu will light the fuse.  I don't like this guy.  I really don't.

Hold on now Fred. From the speech.....

Now we're being told that the only alternative to this bad deal is war. That's just not true. 

The alternative to this bad deal is a much better deal.

A better deal that doesn't leave Iran with a vast nuclear infrastructure and such a short break-out time. A better deal that keeps the restrictions on Iran's nuclear program in place until Iran's aggression ends. 

A better deal that won't give Iran an easy path to the bomb. A better deal that Israel and its neighbors may not like, but with which we could live, literally. And no country...

... no country has a greater stake -- no country has a greater stake than Israel in a good deal that peacefully removes this threat.

Plus, in general I think Netanyahu is more bark that bite. He knows that WWIII started in the Middle East means the end of Israel as much as it does Iran or any other of Israel's enemies.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

3/03/2015 4:08 pm  #15

Maybe we can get the Iranians to convert to Judaism while we are at it.
Iran is not going to a deal that totally dismantles all nuclear energy  capability.
Bibi is smoking weed.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/03/2015 4:30 pm  #16

Which is now perfectly legal in DC.

3/03/2015 4:35 pm  #17

Iran is not going to a deal that totally dismantles all nuclear energy  capability.

Fair point. What about the second part. Stop being a theocracy, end all sponsorship of terrorism and move toward freedom of speech, religion, assembly, etc. inside Iran?

3/03/2015 5:28 pm  #18

TheLagerLad wrote:

Fair point. What about the second part. Stop being a theocracy, end all sponsorship of terrorism and move toward freedom of speech, religion, assembly, etc. inside Iran?

That sounds like regime change rather than a treaty.
I'm not impressed with how well that historically works out.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/03/2015 6:15 pm  #19

I just got to see some of Netanyahu's speech to congress. WTF? Why can't they treat our president that way?! I don't get it. I just don't get it.

3/03/2015 6:34 pm  #20

BYOB wrote:

I just got to see some of Netanyahu's speech to congress. WTF? Why can't they treat our president that way?! I don't get it. I just don't get it.

So sad, but so revealing of our current disjointed political environment. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera