The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2015 8:57 am  #21

Re: Hillary Clinton Used Personal Email Account at State Dept.

Just Fred wrote:

Let's back up the train ya'll as it may turn out that the rules Hillary is supossed to have brokenmay not have existed during her time as Secretary of State  -  Lager

That's what I thought.  Anyway, sounds like a case of shoddy and sloppy journalism from the start.

Disagree. Learned a couple of pretty important things such as cabinet government correspondance is going through private e-mail servers. Also, that the individuals serving in high level positions have control over their e-mail instead of the public. Also, that the same government that puts regulations in place like Sarbanes-Oxley that requires private businesses to have standards regarding record keeping didn't until very recently have any standards of thier own.

I expect better. Everyone else should to.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

3/04/2015 9:16 am  #22

Oh for f**ks sake. This seems secure, auditable, and in the the best interest of the public.....

Clinton ran own computer system for her official emails 

WASHINGTON (AP) — The computer server that transmitted and received Hillary Rodham Clinton's emails — on a private account she used exclusively for official business when she was secretary of state — traced back to an Internet service registered to her family's home in Chappaqua, New York, according to Internet records reviewed by The Associated Press.

The highly unusual practice of a Cabinet-level official physically running her own email would have given Clinton, the presumptive Democratic presidential candidate, impressive control over limiting access to her message archives. It also would distinguish Clinton's secretive email practices as far more sophisticated than some politicians, including Mitt Romney and Sarah Palin, who were caught conducting official business using free email services operated by Microsoft Corp. and Yahoo Inc.

Most Internet users rely on professional outside companies, such as Google Inc. or their own employers, for the behind-the-scenes complexities of managing their email communications. Government employees generally use servers run by federal agencies where they work.

In most cases, individuals who operate their own email servers are technical experts or users so concerned about issues of privacy and surveillance they take matters into their own hands. It was not immediately clear exactly where Clinton ran that computer system. Clinton has not described her motivation for using a private email account — hdr22@clintonemail.com, which traced back to her own private email server registered under an apparent pseudonym — for official State Department business.

Operating her own server would have afforded Clinton additional legal opportunities to block government or private subpoenas in criminal, administrative or civil cases because her lawyers could object in court before being forced to turn over any emails. And since the Secret Service was guarding Clinton's home, an email server there would have been well protected from theft or a physical hacking. 

But homemade email servers are generally not as reliable, secure from hackers or protected from fires or floods as those in commercial data centers. Those professional facilities provide monitoring for viruses or hacking attempts, regulated temperatures, off-site backups, generators in case of power outages, fire-suppression systems and redundant communications lines.

Last edited by TheLagerLad (3/04/2015 9:20 am)

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

3/04/2015 9:32 am  #23

Ok, what's to become of all of this?

As a side note, I'm not necessarily a Hillary Clinton fan.  Personally, I'm not real keen on the idea of playing musical chairs with royal families occupying the White House.  I'm no fan of Jeb Bush, either, for the same reason.

3/04/2015 9:35 am  #24

Just Fred wrote:

As a side note, I'm not necessarily a Hillary Clinton fan.  Personally, I'm not real keen on the idea of playing musical chairs with royal families occupying the White House.  I'm no fan of Jeb Bush, either, for the same reason.

Nothing will "come of it" per se. But this is something that could haunt Hillary as she ramps up her run for POTUS because it plays into the narrative of the Clintons being generally shady.

3/04/2015 9:54 am  #25

Just wait till some of her e-mails start showing up! The attempt to shield them from over sight may back fire big time!

hdr22@clintonemail.com.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/04/2015 9:56 am  #26

Nothing much will come of it.

But, the practice was improper, and did not serve the public interest in several ways. I feel the same as does Lager.
To me, it's a big deal actually.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/04/2015 10:20 am  #27

And for anyone who thinks this isn't a big deal, simply replace the name Hillary Clinton with the name Dick Cheney in the AP story I posted above and then tell me you feel the same.

3/04/2015 10:37 am  #28

Ok, I say the D-tribe should toss her aside and look for a real progressive candidate for a change.

3/04/2015 10:43 am  #29

Just Fred wrote:

Ok, I say the D-tribe should toss her aside and look for a real progressive candidate for a change.

That won't happen but what I hope does happen is that those who would be viable candidates in the Dem nominating process start to see the chinks in her armor and decide to take a shot at the nomination.

3/04/2015 10:48 am  #30

TheLagerLad wrote:

Just Fred wrote:

Nothing will "come of it" per se. But this is something that could haunt Hillary as she ramps up her run for POTUS because it plays into the narrative of the Clintons being generally shady.

BINGO ! 

A little hard to determine just yet how effective it will be, but it COULD be big trouble. It certainly is not going to go away ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera