The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2015 4:23 pm  #1

Bakken crude travel through York, Lancaster and Lebanon

Information for safe oil transport lacking for York County emergency responders
U.S. agency wants local emergency responders to know about Bakken oil shipments, but not all do.

http://www.ydr.com/local/ci_27612464/bakken-oil-transport-details-might-not-be-york

Multiple trains per week carrying Bakken crude travel through York, Lancaster and Lebanon counties, including one line along the Susquehanna River. The Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency said it posted the information online and sent it to each county. But that information hasn't reached all county and local emergency responders in south central Pennsylvania, according to a York Daily Record investigation.In York County, three fire chiefs initially said they hadn't received the specific information from the county or the state.

Last edited by Common Sense (3/02/2015 4:23 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/02/2015 4:42 pm  #2

Re: Bakken crude travel through York, Lancaster and Lebanon

Given that the Susquehanna River is one of the watersheds for the Chesapeake Bay the emergency responders should be equipped to contain a large spill in the river.

Apparently they aren't

Shouldn't this be addressed?

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

3/02/2015 4:54 pm  #3

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

Given that the Susquehanna River is one of the watersheds for the Chesapeake Bay the emergency responders should be equipped to contain a large spill in the river.

Apparently they aren't

Shouldn't this be addressed?

Absolutely. A spill in that watershed could be a disaster.
Looks like a glaring example of a need that government should address.
Where are they when you need them?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/02/2015 4:59 pm  #4

I'm surprised the shipments were allowed.

Doesn't someone have to approve the transport of dangerous material?

Did anyone even ask if we were prepared to deal with a spill?

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

3/02/2015 5:42 pm  #5

I think we ALL would be greatly suprised to see how much dangerous materials is shipped BOTH near sensitive natural resouce areas as WELL AS large population areas. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/03/2015 9:38 am  #6

Personally, my resistance to more pipelines can be explained by googling 'oil pipeline spills' and checking out the photos of what the realities are when, not if, something goes wrong. Our area is not any different than the neighborhoods and farmlands that any of those pipelines go through.

I have a pretty hardcore stance when it comes to things like this. If the problems and devastation something creates are not solvable, then it shouldn't be done. I don't give a flip about convenience. Trains are the lesser of the two evils I guess, as only the amount of oil in a train car can spill, a pipeline keeps gushing.

3/03/2015 2:38 pm  #7

It’s a lot riskier to move oil by train instead of pipeline

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/02/20/its-a-lot-riskier-to-move-oil-by-train-instead-of-pipeline/

So it's pretty clear here that moving oil by pipe is a less risky proposition than moving it by rail. Both the rate of accidents and the total amount of spillage varies less for pipe transport than for rail transport. To the extent that we can shift some of that transportation burden from rails to pipes, we can drastically lower the odds of spill incidents, and potentially lower the overall volume of oil spilled as well.

Last edited by Common Sense (3/03/2015 2:38 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/03/2015 2:43 pm  #8

Good article. I've now changed my position to against rail and pipeline. I hate oil.

3/03/2015 2:54 pm  #9

Are you going to get rid of your vehicle and buy a horse soon? 

3/03/2015 3:08 pm  #10

If I had a barn, I absolutely would! The only "fuel spill" they have is an unattractive pile on the road. But until I get that barn built, I'm gonna have to go with my usual recourse of not driving around much, consolidating my trips, and driving a fuel efficient car. I'm lucky enough to work close to home so I only put in maybe $20 a week or 2 of gas.

Board footera