The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2015 12:59 pm  #81

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Heavy discussion here ............. I just tuned in and read the last several posts.  Maybe it's a slow day for me.  I'm really tired of winter and the gray gloom that has been with us for the last several months.

Concerning the the 'life after death' thing, I'm convinced it was a human invention.  Why, you might ask?

Well, because I think it's actually more difficult to comprehend "nothingness" than it is to believe we can somehow live forever after we physically leave the planet as we are and become fertilizer.  No other species has to wrestle with the thought of "non-existence" except man.

Last edited by Just Fred (3/24/2015 1:01 pm)

3/24/2015 3:13 pm  #82

Just Fred wrote:

Heavy discussion here ............. I just tuned in and read the last several posts.  Maybe it's a slow day for me.  I'm really tired of winter and the gray gloom that has been with us for the last several months.

Concerning the the 'life after death' thing, I'm convinced it was a human invention.  Why, you might ask?

Well, because I think it's actually more difficult to comprehend "nothingness" than it is to believe we can somehow live forever after we physically leave the planet as we are and become fertilizer.  No other species has to wrestle with the thought of "non-existence" except man.

Yep, no one want to think that it just might be over when we croak. Talk about depressing. 

Yet, even if it IS over, we still live on in the ways we have touched others (good and bad) so in that sense at least we do live on no matter what. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/24/2015 3:58 pm  #83

I don't think it's too depressing, Tennyson.  The solution is to live life like this is all there is. 

3/24/2015 4:12 pm  #84

Just Fred wrote:

I don't think it's too depressing, Tennyson.  The solution is to live life like this is all there is. 

Yeah, guess I should have said like you that it doesn't have to be. That said, I believe the vast majority of people would still find it depressing. Since many people believe in a religion that touts an afterlife, it would kind of shoot holes in that whole thing for them. Not sure how that would go over and still keep your faith. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/25/2015 2:32 pm  #85

The average man, who does not know what to do with his life, wants another one which will last forever.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/26/2015 5:11 pm  #86

Goose wrote:

The average man, who does not know what to do with his life, wants another one which will last forever.

And he'd likely do everything the same way.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

3/26/2015 8:23 pm  #87

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

Goose wrote:

And he'd likely do everything the same way.

Works for me as a definition of Hell.

Life is an Orthros.

3/26/2015 9:20 pm  #88

Here is a question for everyone. 

Would you live your life differently if you knew there was no afterlife ?? 

4/06/2015 5:01 pm  #89

tennyson wrote:

Here is a question for everyone. 

Would you live your life differently if you knew there was no afterlife ?? 

I've been pondering this for some time.

I know there's no afterlife, just blessed oblivion.

Not sure what I could do differently.  Just live as much as possible.  

Enjoy the moments.

Savor the small joys.

Although I find the prospect of losing everything in my or anyone else's mind disturbing.

A lifetime of memories is a significant thing.

And there are millions of stories never to be told.

Lost for all time.

I find this distressing sometimes.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

4/13/2015 5:22 pm  #90

Okay.

So we've been online for three months now.  There are over 400 topics and over 3000 posts.

I'm happy to report there have been no abuse reports, no banned users, no personal attacks, and no censorship.

I'm liking this board!  

Does anyone have any ideas on how we can attract new members?

-Me again

Board footera