The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/07/2016 4:41 pm  #291

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

CT,
Thank you for sharing in forum what some may have long suspected.

You have learned to work with your condition, and in spite of the challenges have served our nation in uniform.  You continue to offer yourself in public service as you work with people who face enormous obstacles in their own lives.  Your different-ability makes you especially suited for the work that you do.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Life is an Orthros.

8/08/2016 3:26 am  #292

It takes courage to share something about yourself that others may not understand or may misconstrue.
Thank you.

For what it's worth, we are all on a journey of understanding.
Or we darn well should be!

Last edited by Goose (8/08/2016 3:33 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/12/2016 5:23 pm  #293

08/12/2016

The mood is unstable.

I want to preface this by saying I'm not in danger. For those of you who might, please don't worry. This is in my head and that's where it's staying.

I have to write this. But it's so hard to face. And face it I do. Every year.

I'm haunted.

Not by horror story ghosts but the ghosts of every one of them. All the ones who died by their own hand. They tell me they changed their minds at the last second. That they saw the yawning pit of oblivion opening beneath them and they thought wait, stop, I changed my mind.

And I wonder if they're telling the truth.

Their sins hang on me like Marley's chains. Every one a different link. No cash boxes or safes. Oh, no. It' s decorated with the noose, and the pills, and the guns, and the razor blades.

Every single person. Forged together by the worst decision they ever made. A decision that they finally realized was so very, very permanent.

My mother's birthday was Wednesday. The anniversary of her suicide is September 1st.

This is what I face. This is what I have to experience. Over and over again. There's no locking it away, there's no letting it fade. It's as hard and as sharp as the first time and it always will be.

It's difficult to separate my feelings.

I'm experiencing deep lows, manic highs, foggy melancholy, you name it. All over the course of an hour...or less.

So it gets a little confusing.

On the up side, I can feel myself leveling out. This is doing me some good.

There's anger. Anger at her leaving me. Anger at her for making me the last person she spoke to in this world. For forging the heaviest link in the chain. The anger from this dredges up memories of the period in my life where we lived with a demon.

It was large, six feet four inches. It was old, in its late fifties. And it hated children. And all the abuse, the mistreatment, the attempt to crush any dreams we might have, is right there.

Sorrow, certainly. That is what it is.

A certain detachment. As if I'm just observing.

Anyway. The trip home was a nightmare and didn't help things in the least. I just got in the door but I really felt like I needed to do this so here it is.

Gonna have a shower and lay on the couch, typing.

Or reading.

Or watching Netfilx.

Anything but thinking.

Thanks for listening.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

8/22/2016 4:38 pm  #294

08/22/2016

The mood is flat-lined.

At present I don't much care about anything. I don't mean people and such, I mean everything else. I feel distant. Removed. An observer.

I don't know how else to describe it.

I'm having good days...mostly. There were a couple of wrinkles last week but before that it was three weeks without having to flee back to my house. At this time of year, that's unusual. This is the worst of it. It's not something I can just put down.

So maybe the aloofness is helping. Or maybe it was caused by this. I can never tell.

A song played on my iPod on the way home and I flashed back 30 years. I was on active duty. Of course, I had a family that adopted me, just like ever other base I'd been assigned to. We were all friends.

Then something happened.

Both of my married friends insisted they had an “open marriage”. The explanation was they're married but they don't mind the occasional fling. The wife expressed an interest in me. I think she realized at some point early on that I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. Neither physically nor socially.

She approached me like someone would approach a stray kitten that looks like it's about to bolt. It was the most wonderful experience I'd had in my life. It was gentle and close and I was hit by a massive wave of emotion.

Ask anyone who knows me. I mean really knows me. The stronger the emotion, the more erratic my behavior becomes. In this case I began to cry. I wasn't upset. Quite the opposite, in fact. I just...just couldn't contain it.

It was my first time.

And someone made it very special for me.

It's not just the bad memories that are stored without a date-stamp. There is also no temporal distance for good memories.

I can still feel the emotion.

And still moved to tears.

I can feel.

Thanks for listening

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

8/29/2016 6:00 pm  #295

08/29/2016

The mood is...strange.

That's the best I can do with that. It's not strange in a bad way, just abstract. Like the reaction isn't relative to the situation at all. Which, while distracting, is actually entertaining on some level. Like looking at all the same things but seeing them differently...somehow.

Writing, writing, writing. I'm supposed to write about things. Things about my day. Or the week. Or that endless linear gauge. Hey, that was kinda profound.

I have no idea what I should be writing about right now I feel like I have to do it but the direction is unclear. What path to follow?

Today is Monday. My day...my whole week began in death.

It's not that unusual. I handle Medicaid eligibility for the kind of people who are racking up ten-thousand bucks per month in medical bills. Folks who need around the clock care. Elderly and disabled. I make that distinction because not all of my clients are well past seventy.

I've had people as young as twenty-three.

But I digress.

My very first task this morning was closing out people who died. Between the electronic and the paper notifications there were a total of seven. I look at their age. The year they were born. The year they began receiving Medicare.

And powerful memories emerge.

I was in basic training when she began receiving Medicare. When she was born, heavier-than-air flight was still rare. Airships plied the sky's. This was before The Great Depression. And The Dust Bowl. Earth-shaking disasters. World War's I and II. Korea. Vietnam.

I think about how much the world changed in her lifetime.

All of the things I grew up with were still on the horizon during her childhood. I try to step back to see the whole time-line but I just can't get a grip on the scale.

I think about how much the world has changed since I was born.

I went to Wilson Elementary in North York in first and second grade. The school had a library but we weren't allowed in. On Tuesday's and Thursday's, the teacher would hand out little slips of paper with book names on them; we were allowed to pick two. I would always pick Cars of the Future, every time. and anything that has any kind of aircraft for my second book.

So that book is open in my mind. I see the pictures and read the words. Some of them are preposterous. A three wheeled rocket car? Yeah, that's what you want. Someone with their attention on the text message while doing 120mph.

But, again, I digress.

When I remember those pictures, I can just open my blinds and see all of the same cars. I have one myself. I carry a computer in my pocket. If someone built a computer with the same amount of power in the year I was born it would probably take up several rooms.

It's just so fascinating. I can see the lines and angles of the present-day patterns and I can almost...just almost see the possibilities. It would take a lifespan measured in centuries to satisfy my curiosity.

My past.

And I'm living my past's future.

As I said in the beginning.

It's strange.

Thanks for listening.

-Me again

8/29/2016 8:20 pm  #296

08/29/2016 addendum

The mood is kinda cranky.

I was experiencing some difficulty with my vision about six months ago. I have vision through the VA so I made an appointment and got new glasses. I asked to have the line bifocals because the fuzzy view to the sides gives me headaches.

The doctor had actually prescribed tri-focals. And that just didn't work. The focus flipping and a narrow field of view. Impossible. So she prescribes bifocals. The bottom part of the bifocal was set so I could see something close enough that I'd be able to see it without glasses.

I'm at work trying to use the damn things when they doctor calls. She heard me typing in the background and asked if I worked with a computer. Then she goes on to tell me that she has a prescription for that very thing.

The arrived fairly quickly, about two weeks. I tried them on and they worked great. But there was some cloudiness on the right side. I take a close look at the lens and it's scratched right in the middle of the lens. Right in front of my eye.

I sent a message to the doctor. She said to drop them off and they'll send them back to the manufacturer. And she ordered another pair.

They arrived today.

Scratched. Very. Obviously. Scratched.

I would like to think this is coincidence, not contempt.

I just sent the message to the doctor.

Thanks for listening

-Me again

8/29/2016 10:05 pm  #297

How frustrating!  Hope you soon get a good pair.

8/29/2016 10:11 pm  #298

A glasses lens scratch is an annoyance.

A cataract would be a problem.

MD would be a crisis.

Perspective.

Life is an Orthros.

8/30/2016 3:54 pm  #299

Tarnation wrote:

A glasses lens scratch is an annoyance.

A cataract would be a problem.

MD would be a crisis.

Perspective.

History of MD in my family.

Big concern.

-Me again

9/06/2016 4:59 pm  #300

09/06/2016

The mood is very erratic.

The erratic part is actually not too terrible. It's mostly up but it's flipping around so fast that I'm losing track of things.

So, I went to Target because I need a new cooler bag. I haven't been in Target in months and I usually have a Wendy with me but my current cooler bag is getting on my nerves. It's way too small, the zippers are arranged in a very clumsy manner. They snag at the bends in the lid.

The funny thing is, I picked that one out. Personally. Out of everything else on the shelves I chose that one bag. This was in the middle of the trip to see my brother in Houston so I'm claiming emotional distress from the drive.

Some Ben Logic:

[list=1]
[*]There is a quarter of an inch of milk in the fridge.
[*]I can't drink it because if I do I'll be out of milk.
[*]I need more milk.
[*]I can go get more milk.
[*]I would much prefer someone bringing the milk to me.
[*]Didn't they used to deliver milk?
[*]I remember a milk-box on the front porch.
[*]There were also milk trucks.
[*]I liked riding on the bumpers.
[*]Just climb on when the driver's back is turned.
[*]I ended up on the other side of town doing this.
[/list]

This is my usual thought process. The subject just drifts away into something completely unrelated. And this is going on all the time. It never stops. There is no quiet in my mind.

My therapist said this is called thinking.

Seriously, I had no idea.

It's noisy but I'm okay with it.

Thanks for listening.

-Me again

Board footera