The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/01/2016 7:44 am  #261

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

No, it was the abandoned house near where Pauline Drive meets Springwood Rd, just south of where Springwood Rd goes underneath I-83

6/01/2016 6:02 pm  #262

06/01/2016

The mood is ruffled and irritable.

I've discovered online grocery shopping. My pod-spouse, Deb, suggested it after having to listen to me complain loudly about the difficulties I have in crowded environments. If I'm going to some place like a grocery store, I either have to do it in the middle of the night or have a chaperone.

Usually, one of the Wendy's would go with me. 90% of the time that was Nice Wendy. I'm fortunate to have her in my life. The Wendy's are about the only people I know that can tolerate me over long periods of time. I just get far too agitated in social situations and have a tendency to either withdraw or start babbling.

The babbling part almost always includes saying things that people just don't say. Mostly because I'm clueless when it comes to socializing. I mean, I can learn about social situations but my ability to adapt to them is always minimal.

For example, I just cranked out three paragraphs that are completely unrelated to what I began talking about.

So, back to online shopping. It's possibly the coolest thing I've encountered in years. For a fee of 2.50, someone at Weis Markets will gather everything I need and haul it out to my car. I don't have to worry about a rising sense of panic and end up leaving the store with a lot of stuff I didn't really need and without most of the stuff I did need.

I can assemble a list over a period of days, review it as needed, then place my order. If they're out of something they'll call, we'll kick some alternatives around, then they get everything together. This has done wonders for my emotional state. I don't get upset while shopping and I don't upset other people by chattering away to myself. Generally, the more agitated I become, the more I begin to vocalize what I'm thinking.

Apparently this makes other people uncomfortable. Sucks to be them.

The drive home was much better today. The construction at the top of the hill at Mount Rose Avenue and Route 24 is nearly done. The intersection that was traditionally backed up for half a mile or so every day between 3 and 6 in the afternoon now has two lanes in each direction with additional turn lanes.

No more traffic jams. Yippee!

Someone told me the reason for all of the traffic yesterday was because an abandoned house at the intersection of Springwood Road and Pauline Drive had caught fire and burned down. Now, this is just one intersection. And blocking that intersection clogged up traffic, not only for miles to either side of it, but for miles in every direction.

This brings to mind a question. If there are 4 fire trucks, an ambulance, and 11 police cars on the scene, why isn't anyone directing traffic? I would think it would just be common sense to have the roads in the area cleared in case other emergency vehicles need to get through. Also, it would make sense to keep traffic moving to avoid the collateral events involved when people do things like driving over peoples lawns, over curbs, or into an oncoming traffic lane in an effort to get out.

Okay, so that's the traffic rant.

I picked up some pork ribs today. I did some beef ribs over the weekend that I wasn't thrilled with so I though it'd try pork this time. I did forget to get some marinade so I had to be a little creative. I have some V-8 punch that may or may not have actual fruit-juice in it so I used that for a base. I mixed in some mesquite liquid-smoke, teriyaki sauce, and some molasses-bacon spice.

I've always preferred a fruit-juice base for pork ribs. Pineapple is preferred but just about any kind of juice will do in a pinch. I'm marinading what are called 'ribblets'. They're basically a rack of ribs cut off short. The bones are about an inch or so long. I'll be slapping some hickory smoke barbecue sauce on them.

It seems that no matter what I talk about, writing seems to calm me. I mean, it's just a one-way conversation but it always helps to tell someone your troubles. Sort of unburden, if you will. I spend a significant amount of time alone so, outside of my bi-weekly therapy sessions, this is about my only option.

It's hard to do sometimes. I'm writing this knowing that someone else will be reading it. That's the idea, after all. But people aren't the same all the time. We have many faces. Or many masks. The personalities we wear when we're in public differ greatly from the one beneath the mask.

So I tell myself that I have to say what's really on my mind. Otherwise, this is just a work of fiction. A story that I tell that is nowhere near the truth. And, sometimes, it's difficult to open up. Sometimes it's hard to see myself. The real me. The one I have to live with.

What I choose to say is just as important as what I choose not to say. I have to ask myself why I want to keep something to myself. Embarrassment? Shame? Possibly guilt?

Wringing out a soul can be painful sometimes.

But keeping it inside can be worse.

Thanks for listening

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

6/01/2016 9:46 pm  #263

Regarding the online grocery shopping, Giant's Peapod will do the same and deliver the groceries to your door.  Not sure if Weis delivers or not.

Regarding your comment on the traffic mess the other day--a couple of comments. Why was it necessary to have so many police vehicles on hand at the scene during the fire of an abandoned building?  And yes, why were not some of those officers out directing traffic at intersections to relieve the backups?  I was not down there at the time and not affected but I've experienced similar scenes where there was no effort on the part of any officials to ease the situations and get traffic moving again.  Sometimes common sense should rule.  

6/02/2016 8:14 am  #264

CT it's really good you have found an outlet to help clear your mind of all the pain/clutter/life we are exposed to everyday.

My Mom (84) does a journal, hand written on yellow legal pad everyday. She starts in the morning and usually it's the last thing she does before going to bed. It's an extremely high priority for her. Even if exhausted she has to write in the journal. No detail is too small to write about. My guess is she has been doing this for 30 years or more and has saved every journal written. I have wondered at times if there would be someway to make all of journals into a book. I guess it would be like the Seinfeld show where the plot of the show was about nothing. Important to the people involved but not so to others.

Keep writing it's good for your soul!

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

6/02/2016 12:08 pm  #265

Flower:  I exaggerated the number of police cars somewhat.  Not sure of the exact count but there were at least five.

CS:  That must be a fascinating read.  Have you read it?

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

6/02/2016 2:21 pm  #266

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

Flower:  I exaggerated the number of police cars somewhat.  Not sure of the exact count but there were at least five.

CS:  That must be a fascinating read.  Have you read it?

I have read some of them but not many. She will from time to time go back and read them.
I will be talking with her and she will say do you remember X. And then go in great detail about it or she will read what she wrote. The last time she did it the stories were from when we were in school. Memories from long ago.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

6/02/2016 5:04 pm  #267

06/02/2016 

The mood is trending toward level.

It was not that way this morning. I woke up cranky and stayed that way. My therapy appointment was a wash. I really didn't feel like talking and I was getting angry because my therapist was just sitting there waiting for me to say something.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my therapist. I've been seeing him since the last hospitalization in January of 2013. The first thing I ever said to him was “what do we talk about?”. I had seen a handful of therapists since I was 14. I never liked any of them and wasn't shy about telling them that.

I pointed out to one therapist that all he was doing was listening to me talk then telling me not to do what I was talking about. Seriously? So your approach is 'stop it'? Now why the hell didn't I think of that? All these years and all I had to do was not do what I was doing.

Brilliant.

I'd spent many years convinced that therapy was a racket. Just listen to people complain about things, tell them not to do the things that make them upset, then charge them 100 bucks an hour.

Okay, I'm getting off the subject.

I like my therapist. I can't quite put my finger on what's different about this chap. Why I actually look forward to my sessions. He's just a likable kind of guy. But not every session goes well and this was on of those days. I didn't want to talk. And I certainly didn't want to listen.

So I left just as angry as I was when I got there.

I'm becoming concerned about my ability to do my job. I have to be able to form things into functional patterns in order to manage. And a lot of stuff changed all at once. This meant the former patterns were either crippled or completely useless. And when things get to a point where I have trouble understanding them I become very upset.

Ask my pod spouse or my pod mom. They've seen what happens when the rug gets pulled out from under me. It becomes impossible to focus on any one task at a time because I can't see the flow. I can't see how things are supposed to move. Can't shape things into something I can manage.

Too many variables.

On top of all of this, I'm becoming concerned about my vision. There are times when I have a great deal of difficulty seeing what's on my screens or what's on my desk clearly. And switching between things that are close-up and things that are farther back doesn't always work. This invariable causes the worst headaches I've ever had.

That does nothing at all for an already shaky mood.

I have an ongoing prescription for some big-league pain killers because of the damage to my spine but I don't like to take them at work because they make my thinking fuzzy. I mean, I can function just fine but things tend to get a little abstract. But, at least, the headache dulls out a little.

I've been to the VA optometrist at the York Clinic three times in the past two months. She prescribed trifocals at first. I requested the type with the lines because the progressive type have a very narrow area in which I can see clearly and everything to the sides is always blurry.

It's annoying.

The trifocals didn't work out very well so I got a prescription for bifocals in the same style. They work okay but I still have problems focusing. It seems to come and go. Anyway, this has really slowed me down with regard to an already staggeringly huge caseload.

I love my job. I really do. And I like having money for a change. So I'm worried about my ability to function. I'm getting through my work but, where I used to request additional work because I was on top of everything, it's now like I have more than I can do.

I'm not the least bit happy about this.

So I get frustrated, angry, and irritable which doesn't help either. And I just can't seem to relax. I always feel tense.

I need to let it go.

And that's a problem.

Thanks for listening.

-Me again

6/03/2016 5:22 pm  #268

06/03/2016

The mood is highly agitated.

I'm having trouble sitting still and focusing on one thing at a time. Way too scattered. This is not an unusual state at the end of a week but it's much more severe.

I spent the last hour or so at work sorting mail. I didn't have a great deal of it but most of it was perplexing in a way that had nothing to do with the fact that I currently have the laser-sharp focus of an eight-year old...after about twelve sodas.

I've been working for the state for fifteen years. I know what sort of stuff to expect. But, even after all this time, I'm still running into things that just leave me stunned. I ask why. I ask how. I ask these things knowing the answer will always be “because”. Period.

Things that don't fit into the functional patterns fall under the heading of 'variable'. Variables are generally set aside until things that do fit have been dealt with. Today, most of what I was working on ended up being set aside.

This tends to upset me. So, right now, I'm trying to put it all down. Hence the agitation.

Okay, the good things from today.

I've begun using a different route home and it's been working out very well. I spend very little time sitting in traffic, it passes right by the grocery store where I do my online shopping. And...drum roll...there's a Wendy's!

Woo hoo!

So I picked up some stuff from the store then reloaded my Frosty supply. Got four of those puppies in the freezer. I'm hooked up for the weekend! I have a few Twisted Tea's in the fridge so there will be some alcohol and some NetFlix movies tonight.

I've been thinking a great deal about the nature of reality.

I find the whole thing both fascinating and perplexing. I'm self aware. I have senses that engage with everything outside of myself. I know things. I have memories. So how could I end up not being? How can all this just be shut off? For good?

It's completely possible that everything I sense has no actual reality. The brain can be fooled into perceiving things that simply aren't there. The allegory of line and cave. The only thing I can truly be certain of is thought. It's the only thing that doesn't originate outside of the self.

The senses we rely on most do not function in real time. You are not seeing objects. You are seeing the light reflecting from objects. And light has a limited rate at which it moves. With objects close by the lag time is so short that it's not noticeable.

But stretch that distance several hundred thousand miles and you are now not seeing what is, you are seeing what was. If the sun were snuffed out in an instant, it would take seven and a half minutes before we'd know about it. Nothing we see in the nighttime sky is where it appears to be. Some of what we see may not even exist anymore.

Sound also moves at a set rate of speed. Something causes a vibration in a medium, it travels to our ears, and the eardrum resonates.

So, if we can only perceive what was, how can we be sure of what is? By altering light or vibrations in a medium we could see and hear things that aren't actually there. How can we distinguish between something that actually is and something that was? Or even something that isn't?

Is it even possible?

It looks like I'm going to be doing a great deal of pondering tonight.

Thanks for listening. 

-Me again

6/11/2016 5:19 pm  #269

06/11/2016

The mood is upset.

I do not process emotion correctly. Any response to any kind of emotional stimulus will generally result in an illogical response. If I said this to my therapist, I'm fairly certain he would point out that logic and emotion have little to do with each other.

So, I know this thing about myself. But knowing has only been marginally helpful. I mean, I can tell myself I should pause, take a breath, then decide what I will say or do. But in the initial part of the experience, I do the same thing everyone else in the world does.

I say or do something stupid.

It's funny, you know. I can feel shame, guilt, regret, all without any kind of difficulty. Those three emotions are something that occurs when I've had time to think about things. They're something that I 'ease' in to...for lack of a better word.

Okay, so here goes...

Something happened at work on Tuesday.

To set the background; the State has an extensive set of laws regarding qualification for the types of Medicaid that I'm specialized in. The spouse of an applicant can protect a surprising amount of money in bank accounts, investments, property, and suchlike. But the qualification process stipulates I'm required to review five years of an applicant's finances.

That's every bank account, stock account, retirement account, vehicles, boats, airplanes, palaces...you know, all that finance stuff. I actually enjoy doing this kind of thing. I have no problem at all picking apart five-hundred to a thousand, to two thousand pages of documents, categorizing them, and carefully labeling them.

It's a process that has a nice, angular pattern that's easy to fall in to. I'm good with that.

So, on Tuesday, I had finished up with the last bit of work I'd had to do and was finally going to get some cases scanned into the document imaging system. This is accomplished by using a nine-year old desktop scanner and software that would required extensive repairs to even qualify as inadequate.

When it was implemented, we were completely unable to scan anything at all for a little over three weeks. In terms of cases consisting of the number of documents I'd mentioned this amounted to over three thousand individual pieces of paper that had to be fed into the scanner, scanned, categorized, and labeled.

This is a very time-consuming process.

Now, the categorizing and labeling part is already done. Each packet has a small post-it indicating what that packet contains. I just put the packets in the scanner and scanned them all. After that was done, I went through the document set and separated and labeled each group of documents. This process took and hour and around forty-five minutes to complete. Once all of that was done, I pressed the button to commit the document set to the system.

And it crashed.

Every last document, every note, every label. Gone.

Now, I said before that everything is separated and labeled. I remove the paper clips and post-it notes when I feed the packets into the scanner. I've never had a reason to need to put all of that back after the packet comes out of the scanner. So I had around seven-hundred fifty documents that were no longer in any logical order that all needed to be scanned again.

I blew a fuse.

My reaction consisted of first uttering a string of curses, then picking up the file in question and slamming it back down on the filing cabinet it was sitting on. I scared both my pod-wife Deb and my pod-mom Joan. My supervisor also happened to be standing right behind me at the time and I was told to take a walk for five minutes.

I'm ashamed of myself.

I sometimes resort to colorful language, never loudly nor excessive, but any kind of physical response is rare. I know both Deb and Joan are aware of my stance on injuring people. It's not something I would ever do. But when a 6 foot tall 210 pound guy slams a ten-pound object on a thin metal box, it makes a significant amount of noise.

You can't help but get a fright.

And I'm ashamed of myself. And I feel guilty. And I'm ashamed of myself.

So, for past four days, I've been at home. I called off from Wednesday through Friday. All of the blinds are drawn. The windows are closed. The air conditioners are running. It's cool and as dim as I can make it in here and I haven't left. Not even to go get the mail.

I'm struggling with this.

I have to apologize, I know that, but “I'm sorry” somehow seems inadequate.

I feel like my face should be covered.

Like I should hide.

And curl up. And keep curling up until the crushing guilt goes away.

I don't know what else to say.

Thanks for listening.

-Me again

6/11/2016 6:44 pm  #270

You should apologize to that poor innocent filing cabinet.  

LOL.

Seriously, you've had some time in seclusion, you've confessed the less-than-appropriate (but perfectly understandable) response to a bizarre attack of the cyber-gremlins; now it is time to step out and step us; say something like "I really didn't intend to frighten you and I feel horrible that I did--please forgive me"; and move one.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera