The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/28/2015 12:00 pm  #111

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Amen. Journaling got me through some really tough times in my life.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5/28/2015 6:54 pm  #112

A spiritual elder suggested I start journaling 14 years ago....just began the 100th single spaced 10 point font page.

Which means that I don't write every day, or even every week.  Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Life is an Orthros.

6/06/2015 4:14 pm  #113

06/06/2015

The mood is...well...flaky. That's the best adjective I can come up with.

There are ants in my mailbox.

No, this is not a zen thing. There are truly hundreds of ants in my mailbox. They're scrabbling around like they're on ant-acid or something. I've examined the mailbox thoroughly. There is nothing even remotely edible in there—not even my mail, which they never touch.

WTF?

So I put one of those liquid ant baits in there. They work very well. I use them every year when the ant war begins. Usually they invade the kitchen. Not sure why they want to capture the mail box. Maybe they think my master battle plan is in there? For the record, it's not. I just put down the ant bait and in a few days there are tiny corpses all over the place.

The annual spider invasion has been defeated. Or at least, deflected. During the winter, I noticed I could actually see through the gap where my bedroom wall meets the floor. No kidding! I could see right through to the outside.

So that's how they were getting in. And spiders just love setting up shop somewhere nice and warm. Like in my bed. With me in it. There was screaming involved. The chemical warfare was effective but I've run out of chemicals. And, for some reason, I always forget to get more when I'm out. Looks like this is in my blind spot.

So, anyway, I headed off the invasion with good old duct tape. Taped all around the room at the join with the floor. I haven't seen any spiders yet. I'm hoping if they do break in, they'll go for the nice, tasty, toxic, poisonous ant corpses.

I can only hope.

I was out of just about everything so I had to go to the grocery store today. Alone. By myself. This is never fun. Usually Nice Wendy goes with me but she's busy today. I texted Bad a few times, didn't get a response. Never do. No idea what the hell she's doing.

Any rate, I did okay. Although people were staring at me when I stopped at the entrance, took all of my groceries out of the small cart, and loaded them into a big cart. It's that lack of a sense of scale, you see. I had a list but had no idea how much crap it really was...until things started sliding off the top of the little cart.

I've been examining that aspect of my personality. The lack of scale. I've discovered it applies to a lot more than just physical size. I also have no concept of temporal movement. I believe I could leave in the middle of a conversation with someone, come back fifteen years later, and pick it right up again.

Things change. Everyone knows this. But I see things both as they were, as they are. Sometimes there's a might be in there somewhere. You see, placement in time doesn't make any sense. It won't process. In order for things to be the way they are now, they also have to be the way they were then.

With out a was, there can't be an is.

So I get the tenses a little confused sometimes. My therapist calls this nostalgia but I'm not really longing for things that have passed because they're still there. They have to be.

People will say that we, as a species, move forward in time. I believe this is incorrect. We aren't moving. We're static. It's everything else that's moving around us. But we've sliced everything up in to seconds, minutes, hours, days, and so on. We're just measuring something that's moving around us without really understanding what it is.

I honestly don't think something like a time machine is possible because you're not moving.

So that was the philosophical moment for today.

I like my thoughts. They can get a little out of control sometimes, become distracting, sometimes depressing or distressing. Anything observed in any way will trigger a thought string that ends up all over the place. It's interesting what you can discover when you just let things run.
  Kinda like what you just read.

Thanks for listening

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

6/06/2015 6:47 pm  #114

06/06/2015 addendum

The mood is up.

Have you ever walked into a room, or your house, or some other place and gotten the feeling that something isn't quite right? Or that something is very wrong? Or that you could be in danger?

Anyone will tell you that humans have five senses: Hearing, seeing, touching, tasting, and smelling. So what is triggering that feeling? Nothing looks out of place, there's no odor, you've touched nothing, you hear nothing.

Yet you still sense something.

I think we probably have more senses than we know about. Or will acknowledge. Or believe are outright fraudulent. You can feel without touching. So what is that sense? It's not an emotion, it's not a thought. It's just...something.

We, as a species, rely mostly on only two of our senses, those being sight and hearing. Neither of those senses operate in real time. When you see something, you are not seeing the thing, you're seeing the light reflecting off of the thing. Okay, admitted, light travels very, very fast. The imaging is almost instantaneous. But there's still that microscopic lag time between when the light hits the object and is picked up by your eyes. Not in real time.

You are seeing what was, not what is.

I find this very curious. Why do we depend so much on something that isn't showing us what's really there? When you see the stars at night, you're seeing into the past. Billions of years. Stars that have long since died but that light we depend on hasn't reached us yet.

Close your eyes and just visualize the room you're in. Try to feel it. The tingle of the air moving over your skin. The sounds. You know where everything is so just build that picture in your mind. Use that latent sense to...feel what's around you.

I think we are a lot more than we give ourselves credit for.

I think if we really, really tried, we could all know each-other, no matter where you are.

But most minds are closed. Secure in the knowledge that they know all there is to know and that everyone else is completely wrong.

There is only one way.

How sad.

Thanks for listening.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

6/07/2015 8:28 am  #115

Didn't proof read this one, sorry if it's confusing.
06/07/2015

The mood is upwardly optimistic with a teaspoon of apprehension.

I went off the wagon. Way, way off the wagon. Like an entire carton of Marlboroughs off the wagon. All the benefits I'd gained by putting them down came back with a vengeance. A setback. It happens.

I let the cigarette supply run out again. Yesterday at about 4. There is no tobacco of any kind in the house. If I can just resist buying I think I can pull this off.

I wanted to write a fantasy novel. I have a lot of good scenes but can't see where everything is going or how it ends. There has to be some sort of overall plot. I've decided to just start writing scenes in short-story format. Maybe after reading some of them I can string them all together.

Bad is coming over today so I'm going out into the world. Yippee! Want to wander around the mall, eat some things, buy some incense because The Stealth House smells like smoke, have a milkshake.

As long as there's someone acting as a buffer between me and everyone else, I can relax and enjoy myself.

I live in mortal fear of a stranger attempting to speak to me when I'm alone. Also, when I'm by myself I frequently vocalize my thoughts. So people stare at me. And that makes me even more anxious. Which makes me vocalize even more.

A vicious cycle indeed.

I've talked to my therapist about this. I told him that there is a voice in my head, but It's my voice. And it's chattering constantly. And haring off in random directions all the time. Anything can trigger a lengthy soliloquy in stentorian fashion, explaining or exploring anything and everything.

He said that was called thinking.

Really? So everyone else has this constant chatter going on in their heads? Constantly being driven to distraction? Probably not to this degree. I think about this a lot. I think the reason it's so lengthy and so detailed and so distracting because all I do in my spare time is read.

When I'm reading, if the writing is any good, it's like you're watching the story. People, places, and things all seem very real. Like everything I'm reading happened or is happening. So when I'm not reading, all these stories are bouncing around in my head and I'm picking things apart.

I would probably be nice to be in a reading group of some kind. I can't imagine a fantasy reading group would be easy to find.

I have three Kindles. The one I bought is called Portal, the Kindle Fire is called Gate, and the Kindle that Bad gave to me is called Doorway. I thought those were appropriate because they transport me to other places. I love to read. I'm an addict.

I'm very hard on Kindles for some reason. Probably because I'm always carrying one of them. The Portal is in very hard shape. Cracks, burn marks, and a chip broken off which I repaired with duct tape.

Anyway, the fantasy series I'm reading now is called The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. If you're fan of epic fantasy, I highly recommend reading this series. I believe there are nine books in the original series. There there are spin off books and short stories.

The writing is magnificent. Complex, detailed, very easy to fall in to. It's one of those stories that starts off without explaining everything. You get a feel for what's going on, how things work, and where things are going by getting into the story.

My dishwasher is broken. It's one of those roll-away models that has an adapter with two hoses that you connect to your sink faucet. I works pretty well and I can use it as extra counter space. So I'd loaded all of the crap from the barbecue last weekend, rolled it over to the sink, and grabbed the adapter and pulled.

The damned thing snapped right off the end of the hoses.

I've had this dishwasher for four years and this is the first problem I've had with it so I wasn't too angry. Near as I can tell by examining both hoses will need to be replaced. The fittings are still screwed on to the adapter. There is no way to reconnect the hoses because the sleeves snapped off at the hose ends.

I have tools and such and can order parts but after careful consideration I reached the conclusion that this is not something I could do myself. It looks like in order to access where the hoses are connected to the dishwasher, the entire housing has to be removed. Not something I could do.

So I called Sears

I tried calling the store here in York. They have one of those automated operators that gives you a list of options that are in no way related to the reason for your call. So I asked for customer service. Auto-Annie said please wait, then transferred the call.

The phone rang. And rang. And rang...no answer, no voice message, nothing.

I gave up on that and went to the Sears website. You can actually schedule an appointment yourself. I tried to do that. Failed. Said no service in this area. I clicked on the chat button and some guy in India calling himself Jeff got on the chat with me.

Jeff asked what he could do for me. I told him about all of the above. Then I said “I tried calling but every time I asked to speak to customer service I was transferred to a phone no one answered. I posted that and before Jeff could answer I posted another line saying “That says a lot about Sears when you think about it...”.

There was a very protracted pause.

Then Jeff posted the standard stock apology, probably a macro, and we moved on. Jeff was able to schedule to have someone come out on Wednesday. The appointment time is 8am to 5pm. They're supposed to call the day before and tell me if it will be morning or afternoon so I'm hoping I won't have to use up too much leave for this. They do not have weekend appointments.

Bummer.

So I'm currently washing clothes and just bouncing around the house.

I seem to have an excess of energy.

And a positive outlook.

So far a very fine day.

Thanks for listening.

-Me again

6/08/2015 6:46 pm  #116

06/08/2015

The mood is good. Optimistic and level.

I don't like to see myself in picture.
  It's not that I don't like the way I look, it's that I have no idea who that person is. I haven't got the first clue what I look like. I see myself in the mirror every morning and by the time I have my shoes on I've forgotten myself.

I think the cause of this is the temporal displacement in my head. Again, that lack of a sense of scale. I haven't aged. Not at all. I just know more stuff. So who is that guy carrying my brain around?

Damned if I know.

Giving up cigarettes, redux. My last smoke was about 4 pm on Saturday. There is now no tobacco of any kind in the house. The vape is keeping me from slipping into a simmering anger state. Seems to be effective. I feel quite good.

I've reached the bargaining stage.

If you've tried to quit before, you know what I'm talking about. You know, that thing where you tell yourself that just one won't hurt. Then you think, okay, I'll get a pack but just smoke one every day...this lasts about a day. Then you're back to sucking up two packs, in secret, because you don't want your friends to know you crumbled—without realizing you smell like smoke from fifteen feet away because your sense of smell quit working again.

So, no. No just one smoke.

I'm getting urges. I'm sorta human after all. But they're getting easier to overcome. Well see how it goes.

Bad came over on Sunday afternoon and we spend some quality time. We went to the mall, I bought a candle warmer to try to overcome the horrifying smoke odor in The Stealth House, ate at McDonalds, the came back here and read and talked for a couple of hours.

The silences between us are always comfortable ones. We each know the other will talk if they want to. Doing this really levels me out. Quality time with Bad is a very infrequent thing so I like to enjoy it while it lasts. Nice and I will be doing our usual pay-weekend thing this Saturday.

It's good to have friends.

Not a lot else to say tonight.

Thanks for listening.

-Me again

6/08/2015 9:46 pm  #117

Please continue your stop smoking campaign and continue to tell yourself no, it won't hurt me, but it will KILL me!

6/09/2015 7:01 am  #118

Every time I get a craving and can't use the vape I just inhale deeply through my nose and take in a full breath.

Something I could't do when I was smoking.

-Me again

6/13/2015 5:10 pm  #119

06/13/2015 addendum

The mood is level. Easy. Even mellow.

After a brief hospitalization in January of 2013 I turned my back on the world. It was just becoming too much. All of the wonderful things we do to each other were filling up my memory with the screams of the hatred and violence we are so very good at.

So I just stopped listening.

No more cable TV. No more commercial radio. No more internet news. No more newspapers. I feel that this, more than any of the other aspects of my psychiatric and psychological treatment, has helped level me out.

The unfortunate side effect is that I have no idea what's happening in the world of entertainment.

Did you know that the whole Hobbit movie trilogy was finished? Even available on DVD? I had no idea. Today was the bi-weekly economic stimulus trip with Nice. We do this every pay weekend. It's a fun day. We have breakfast, go shopping, just basically hang out and spend money. I found all three movies at Best Buy.

I'm very much looking forward to a movie and popcorn marathon.

Nice has been under a great deal of stress lately with her boyfriend's job. He runs his own business doing promotions. He even has his own record label. There is a great deal of work involved especially when there are openings or promotion events.

Nice has been supporting boyfriend (didn't get permission to use his name, maybe later) in his efforts. Apparently he's really good at his chosen profession. Which means he's always working his ass off. And so is she. In addition to her full time job. And both their families.

It's hectic.

I think today's trip was the first time that I was providing the decompression, not receiving it. It's a strange feeling. Imagine, someone feeling relaxed and unruffled just by being around me. Normally it's a whole bucketful of crazy. She apparently finds this relaxing. Who knew?

I get along well with children. At least for the most part.

A nine year old once described me to her mother as freakin hilarious. A fifteen year old told his mother that he liked me I treated him like a person. I think the reason I get along with young children is because we like all the same toys. Seriously. That and I find children so refreshingly uncomplicated. They haven't yet learned things like deception. At least not to the point where they're any good at it.

Which puts us mostly on the same level. At least from a sociological perspective.

One of the things I learned in my college psychology classes was that adults have an annoying tendency to treat small children like they're just smaller grown-ups. Some children seem to be expected to know things about social interaction or basic behavior that they were never taught and never encountered. Even more, they're expected to fully understand these concepts.

A brain grows, just like a body. It doesn't come with preloaded software. It isn't a recording device. It's isn't a sponge. What I'm getting at is this; you wouldn't send your child off to work in a steel mill. Their bodies aren't developed enough for something like that. So expecting them to comprehend something it's taken you a lifetime to learn is unreasonable because their brains aren't developed enough.

And I think this is why children seem to like me.

I listen to them. I'm genuinely interested in what they say. Because it's just so enlightening. Every concept is stripped of all meaning other than what they're trying to express. Straightforward. Even profound.

The next time you get to spend time with a child, ask them what they think about something. Then listen, just listen, to their reply. Don't direct, don't correct. Just hear what they have to say.

Who knows, you might learn something.

I certainly do.

Thanks for listening

-Me again

6/15/2015 9:59 am  #120

06/15/2015

The mood is very good.  Upbeat without being manic.  My favorite kind of day.

This morning was the monthly trip to the VA hospital in Lebanon.  Nice usually goes with me.  She drives because I’m really not enthusiastic about driving that early in the morning.  I went solo today.  It was my first long trip in The Thingy.

Wow.

I never realized just how loud the road noise was in the Elantra.  In The Thingy Icould hear the radio without cranking it all the way up.  I felt much more relaxed when I arrived.  In the Hyundai I would always be overstressed because the harmonic buzzing just wouldn’t quit.

I take the Strinestown exit on the way back.  I would avoid interstate 83 completely if that was an option…but it isn’t…so I don’t…I’m a little distracted right now.  I enjoy using the secondary roads between Strinestown and York.  They’re the typical country roads for this area.  They rise and fall and twist and wind all through forest and farmland..  Somewhere between Mt Zion and Emigsville I saw a rocking horse left out with the trash.  It was one of those really old ones that just look like a wooden horse attached to the rockers from a chair.  It looked to be perfectly intact.  The paint was a little faded but that was it.

I was pondering why someone was throwing something like that out.  I thought just about anyone would like to have something like that if they had children, or even as a decoration or an antique.  The very few new rocking horses I’d ever seen had a square base made of tube aluminum with the horse attached by springs.  The rocking-chair type might still be available but I doubt they’d be anywhere near the quality of the older ones.  But I digress.

This line of thought connected with another from about fifteen years ago.

The elderly man about four houses down from my then-girlfriend’s house had died.  I believe he was in his eighties.  I don’t know if it was family or the realtor that did this but they had basically removed everything from the attic and basement and put it out on the curb for the trash collectors.

My friend, Bill, was an artist.  He did both painting and sculpture so he was always on the lookout for material.

The stuff that had been put out had the usual amount of junk, some boxes…and a rocking horse.  This horse was in bad shape.  It looked like the wood was infested with something at some point.  It was dry rotted and riddled with small holes.  It must have been in storage for years.

Along with the horse there were boxes of photo albums filled with all sorts of snapshots.  There were pictures of birthday parties, graduations, vacations…that kind of stuff.  I recall taking the albums back to my girlfriend’s house and looking through them.  I started with the oldest looking pictures and moved forward from there.  We passed them around and talked about them.

Those albums contained the entire story of a life.  Possibly  several lives.

There were ancient black and white pictures of a young couple.  From the way they were dressed, I guessed it was very close to the beginning of the 1900’s.  The man was wearing a suit and a hat.  The woman was dressed in a very conservative dress that looked like it weighed a ton; she was holding an infant.

There were other old pictures in that first album from the same period.  I’d guessed they didn’t own a camera themselves since they seemed to be formally posed every time.  As was the cultural norm in that period, in every picture the man, woman, and small boy were smartly dressed and looking very serious.  Not a simile to be found. 

The time like jumped around a lot but that first album was the photo record of the man who’d just died from birth through about his twenties.  Subsequent albums picked up from there and moved forward.  There were pictures of him on active duty in the army, pictures of him and young woman, wedding pictures, snaps with infants and children…and so on.

There were seven albums.  All filled.  It was his life, and the life of his children, and his children’s children.  So much time.  So many lives connecting and reconnecting.  The story of a man and his family over decades.

All left out with the trash.

I was moved to tears.  This was something irreplaceable, unique, something that will never be found in this world again.  And it was all being thrown away.  I suppose it’s possible that he had no family left in this area; or at all.  I suppose it’s possible there was a break in the relationships.  Perhaps he and his extended family didn’t get along.

What made me cry was that the only people who even cared about this wonderful record of a life were complete strangers who happened to notice them in the trash.  He lived a long life, full of all the magic and tragedy of which all lives are made…and it was just disposed of.

Sometimes I find it strange that people take pictures or videos of events in their lives then file them away, never to be viewed again.

He was real.  He was there.  Now he’s gone.  And in a few hundred years this modern “Thomas of Coventry’s” gravestone with no longer be readable.  No one will remember him.

It’s at times like this that I realize how very important it is to treasure every moment you have.  I don’t think it really matters if you keep a record or not.  This life is for you to live; to fill with all of the small joys that make living the truly magical thing that it is.

Everything you’ll ever need in life is always with you.

Sometimes I forget that.

Sometimes all it takes is a little wooden horse to remind me.

Thanks for listening

-Me again

Board footera