The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2015 6:39 pm  #91

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

04/13/2015
  The mood is very good.

This morning was auspicious. It was the first morning, in as long as I can remember, where it wasn't a battle to go out into the world.
  I was actually well rested, energetic, and looking forward to going to work.

A few weeks ago I had to go to the VA clinic, real all of a sudden like, in the middle of the week. I was having an episode. I have to say that the psych clinic at the VA in York is fantastic! They're attentive, they listen, and they're there when you need them.
  I had some meds adjusted. Things were very difficult at first. I was feeling washed-out and very run down. I was sleeping a lot. In fact, it's about all I wanted to do. I told the doctor this and he told me I would adjust. So I soldiered on. Looks like I found the light at the end of the tunnel. And, for once, it wasn't a train.

Things are looking up.

I've been reflecting on my life since I returned from Florida in 2011 and I have a list of things that are worth mentioning: 1. I've had the same phone number for four years. 2. None of my utilities have been shut off, or even threatened to be shut off. 3. I have reliable transportation. 4. I have money between paydays and even have money going to a savings account. 5. I have a home that I love and wouldn't trade for anything. 6. I have people who love and care about me.

That last one is the most important of all.

I actually feel good about myself.

I'm a little worn out now. Been nothing but frenetic motion since I got home. Going to relax a bit, read, get a good night's sleep, and wake up ready to go.

It's been a good day.

Thanks for listening.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

4/19/2015 6:04 pm  #92

04/19/2015

The mood is erratic but manageable.

My view of this world is an intricate web of interlocking patterns. It's the only way I can function. This is an effect of low-grade autism. Autism is defined in the DSM-IV but it isn't a mental illness. It's a matter of brain function. I have difficulty in social situations because there is no way to account for a variable. And that's all interaction is. I frequently find myself faced with a situation I can't understand and tend to say or do things that aren't in any way related.

There's no cure for this.

I'm fortunate enough to have friends. Not necessary because I managed to cram them into a pattern but more because they know what to expect. It takes a very patient person do this. While I'm not religious, I consider myself blessed anyway.

There's a pattern for everything. I did well in the military because of the structure. I'm doing well in my current job for the same reason. It seems that the only people I can work for are some sort of government because everything we do is defined, and in writing. I'm fortunate enough to have a job where I'm mostly left to do things however I like...as long as they are done and done correctly.

I had an episode on Friday.

To be honest, it started on Thursday night. I knew what was coming but I went to work anyway. I haven't had to call off for nearly three weeks. I didn't want to do it on Friday. All of my assignments are back under control. Fitted neatly into the work pattern. I'm winning back the trust of my coworkers.

An episode consists of thoughts running outside established patterns.

I can't handle them. They don't fit, they don't belong, they're illogical. Nevertheless, I can have periods where I lock on to an irrelevant detail and follow it in a series of connecting thoughts. This is a straight line. It is not a pattern. It does not connect to anything relevant. Every thought is examined and discarded as unrelated.

In short, I forget how to do things.

This is upsetting to say the least. My emotions become uncontrollable. My anxiety level spikes. I'm being professionally treated for these things but they are symptoms. The cause isn't treatable.

But I manage. As best I can. Because I have to. That's all.

Some jackass left a big box full of children's toys sitting in my driveway. I have no idea why. As I was kicking it out of the way, it tipped over and spilled toys out on the car dealer's part of the property. I was inclined to leave it there. And I did. At least for awhile.

But there was the Tonka Truck.

It was the first thing to fall out of the box. It was just lying there on its side. Perfectly intact. Nothing wrong with it at all. So I'm trying to read and my thoughts keep circling back to that flaming truck. I'm thinking some child loved that toy. Another child could love that toy. I was feeling like I wanted to cry.

So I gave in.

I went out to the driveway, kicked every last toy back into the box, turned it upright, carefully placed the truck on top, and dragged it under the carport. It's not something I can lift off the ground so it's sitting next to my front door. It should be protected from the rain.

So what do I do with it?

I saved it.

Now what?

Illogical. There is no pattern for this.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Conspiracy Theory (4/19/2015 6:05 pm)

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

4/19/2015 9:16 pm  #93

Just a guess, Ct.  Is it possbile someone who knew of your employment left the box of toys thinking you would know how or where to dispose of them so that other children could have them to play with?  I'm thinking CPS, Salvation Army or other such organizations of which there are many in the York area.

4/19/2015 9:27 pm  #94

To both of you:

It is of great--superlatively great--benefit mentally and spiritually when we put the best possible construction and ascribe the best possible motives to someone's actions, even (especially) when we do not actually know that person.

FG has some great advice.  CPC, Bell Family Shelter, ACCESS....there are many children who could benefit from these "misfit toys" (think the ending of the "Rudolph" classic TV movie).

Life is an Orthros.

4/20/2015 6:00 pm  #95

After careful consideration, lengthy analysis, and thorough questioning, I've come to the conclusion that, no matter how vitally important your message is, no one will listen if it's written in yellow crayon.

-Me again

4/20/2015 9:24 pm  #96

Not even yellow crayon on black construction paper?

4/21/2015 6:33 pm  #97

04/21/2015

The mood is erratic.

Hampton Virginia has two of the most fascinating pieces of architecture I've ever seen. They're called the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnels.

The road goes straight out over the bay, then plunges under water for about a mile, then surfaces again. This was their answer to either a draw-bridge or a bridge that rises hundreds of feet. There's a large navy base in Norfolk and warships with very high conning towers present a problem for bridges.

The solution was brilliant.

Instead of trying to go up far enough or having to stop traffic to lift the road out of the way they decided to go under it. But the fascinating part is the combination of bridge and tunnel. How was this done? How does one build a bridge a third of the way over the bay then have the tunnel go underwater?

I'd spent hours pondering this. It's simply amazing.

Okay. I wrote all of that stuff above because I'm trying to avoid the real reason for this entry.

About a month ago, I tagged my brother Chris in a Facebook post. My sister in law bought a brand new Chevy Camaro. The thing looks like a space-ship on wheels. I thought older brother would be envious because he absolutely loves Camaro's. Hence the tag.

Brother is not very good about monitoring his Facebook account. He just read the tag last weekend. He sent me a message saying thanks and he was surprised because he thought I wasn't acknowledging him anymore.

Needless to day, this stirred up a whole hornet's nest of emotion that I was doing my best to avoid.

As you know, I don't handle strong emotion well. There are too many variables. Emotions fit poorly into the functional patterns so it's best to exclude them altogether.

This is, of course, preposterous.

While I'm not able to experience emotion in a manner consistent with everyone else, I am still human. Like it or not it's going to happen. The goal, when this does happen, is to take deep breaths, try to clear my mind. And dial down whatever it is I'm feeling.

I'm not always successful.

At any rate, I was left with a bit of a dilemma. I didn't want to blow off the message. I also didn't want to reply. I found it rather odd that Chris contacted me when I was recovering from a severe episode. The last time I saw him was on the anniversary of my mother's suicide. How the fuck does he manage that kind of timing?

Anyway. I decide to take a middle approach. I sent him a text message saying he should go to my Facebook profile, go to February of last year, and read the journal posts forward. He might better understand.

I don' know if he'll do this. He's an intelligent guy. He likes to read. But what I wrote might be painful. Or hurtful.

I don't know how this will turn out.

It's just too much to handle.

Thanks for listening.

-Me again

4/21/2015 10:11 pm  #98

CT,

That is the beauty of one-way communications like FB posts and texts.   Read at your own pace.   Respond when ready.   Type a response, edit it, erase it.....hit the "send" key only when truly ready.

Life is an Orthros.

4/22/2015 5:15 pm  #99

I actually made the attempt.  I sent a text message:  received a reply from someone saying I had the wrong number.

Got a updated number from one of my friends whom he had given his new number to.  Sent the same text message, got a reply--from my brother--saying 'you have the wrong number, this is a business phone'.

My best guess is he was shit-faced when he sent the Facebook message on Saturday and had completely forgotten he'd done it.  Since there was no context for the message I sent and it didn't ID because I'm not on his contacts list, he didn't realize it came from me.

I'm done.

-Me again

5/12/2015 2:16 pm  #100

Quiet in here, isn't it? 

-Me again

Board footera