The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2015 6:08 am  #1

Justice Department to Fault Ferguson Police, Seeing Racial Bias

Justice Department to Fault Ferguson Police, Seeing Racial Bias in Traffic Stops

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department has nearly completed a highly critical report accusing the police in Ferguson, Mo., of making discriminatory traffic stops of African-Americans that created years of racial animosity leading up to an officer’s shooting of a black teenager last summer, law enforcement officials said.

According to several officials who have been briefed on the report’s conclusions, the report criticizes the city for disproportionately ticketing and arresting African-Americans and relying on the fines to balance the city’s budget. The report, which is expected to be released as early as this week, will force Ferguson officials to either negotiate a settlement with the Justice Department or face being sued by it on civil rights charges. Either way, the result is likely to be significant changes inside the Ferguson Police Department, which is at the center of a national debate over race and policing.

Ferguson erupted into angry, sometimes violent protests after a white police officer, Darren Wilson, shot and killed an unarmed black teenager, Michael Brown, in August. The Justice Department investigated that shooting, and officials have said they will clear the officer of civil rights charges. That finding is also expected soon.But the report into the broader practices of the local police department will give the context for the shooting, describing the mounting sense of frustration and anger in a predominantly black city where the police department and local government are mostly white.

While the Justice Department’s exact findings are not yet known, Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr., who is expected to leave office in the next few weeks, and other officials have said publicly that their investigation has focused on the use of excessive force and the treatment of prisoners in local jails as well as the traffic stops.

Blacks accounted for 86 percent of traffic stops in 2013 but make up 63 percent of the population, according to the most recent data published by the Missouri attorney general. And once they were stopped, black drivers were twice as likely to be searched, even though searches of white drivers were more likely to turn up contraband.

For people in Ferguson who cannot afford to pay their tickets, routine traffic stops can become yearslong ordeals, with repeated imprisonments because of mounting fines. Such fines are the city’s second-largest source of revenue after sales tax. Federal investigators say that has provided a financial incentive to continue law enforcement policies that unfairly target African-Americans.

In an unrelated but similar case, the Justice Department recently filed court documents in a lawsuit over whether the city of Clanton, Ala., is running a debtors’ prison. The lawsuit says city officials there keep poor people in jail simply because of their inability to pay fines.

“Because such systems do not account for individual circumstances of the accused, they essentially mandate pretrial detention for anyone who is too poor to pay the predetermined fee,” wrote Vanita Gupta, the top civil rights prosecutor at the Justice Department, who is also supervising the Ferguson inquiry.

Investigators do not need to prove that Ferguson’s policies are racially motivated or that the police intentionally singled out minorities. They need to show only that police tactics had a “disparate impact” on African-Americans and that this was avoidable. Nevertheless, the Justice Department’s report is expected to include a reference to a racist joke that was circulated by email among city officials, according to several law enforcement officials.

James Knowles III, the mayor of Ferguson, said last week that he did not know what the Justice Department had found or would conclude. But he criticized Mr. Holder for saying recently that wholesale change was needed in Ferguson’s police department.

Continued at 
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/02/us/justice-department-report-to-fault-police-in-ferguson.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Last edited by Goose (3/02/2015 6:08 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/02/2015 8:12 am  #2

Re: Justice Department to Fault Ferguson Police, Seeing Racial Bias

I see 2 major problems with all of this. First being the racism, which is wrong. Period.
Second being the hideous practice of using police activity as a funds generator for communities. It's right up there with for-profit prisons. I mean, how much do we have to be shown that we may have capitalism as our way of life, but we sure as shit don't handle it well.

3/02/2015 8:36 am  #3

We will just have to wait and see what the actual report holds. 

An interesting article about the area and crime was the one below from St Louis. 

Crime up after Ferguson and more police needed, top St. Louis area chiefs say

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/crime-up-after-ferguson-and-more-police-needed-top-st/article_04d9f99f-9a9a-51be-a231-1707a57b50d6.html

Last edited by tennyson (3/02/2015 8:37 am)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/02/2015 8:45 am  #4

We will see when the full report comes out.
What has been released so far supports the narrative that the shooting occurred in an already charged atmosphere. And that policing policies may have been a factor in poor relations with the community..

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/02/2015 8:53 am  #5

What exactly are we waiting to see?

3/02/2015 8:56 am  #6

BYOB wrote:

What exactly are we waiting to see?

In my understanding, the full justice department report has not been released.
The article was written based upon briefings that officials were given about the report's conclusions.

Some may feel the need to read the full report before commenting.

3/02/2015 9:39 am  #7

Geez, sorry! I thought the purpose of posting a topic was so people can comment. I was commenting on what I read that was posted. I can't comment on the full report yet, but I think I'm safe to comment on what I did read of their conclusion of facts so far.

Did I do or say something to piss people off here? If so, I apologize.

3/02/2015 10:08 am  #8

BYOB wrote:

Geez, sorry! I thought the purpose of posting a topic was so people can comment. I was commenting on what I read that was posted. I can't comment on the full report yet, but I think I'm safe to comment on what I did read of their conclusion of facts so far.

Did I do or say something to piss people off here? If so, I apologize.

I'm not pissed at all. In fact I respect you and enjoy reading your posts.

I am - like you - comfortable commenting on the conclusions that were shared in the briefings that form the basis of the article. Don't see that the release of the full report will contain anything that contradicts the conclusions.
I'm just explaining a rationale to answer your question.
We good?

3/02/2015 10:16 am  #9

Nothing wrong with commenting on the articles. I don't believe anyone is pissed off. What we have so far is some previews of the full report. Once it is out we will know more. There obviously are things in it that will point to changes that should be made in the police department handling of things. 

One thing that in my mind would help is to have a PD that is entirely representative of the community. Ferguson has changed a lot over the years, but the PD makeup has reportedly not changed. When there is racial friction between police and the community, it is always better to have the community more represented. This also goes directly to the issue of the community itself being actively involved in the community itself in terms of voting in their desired representatives. 

On the other hand, I also posted the article from St Louis about the need for MORE police in certain areas. 

Obviously there is never a one solution fits all. 

Most PD whether they be urban or rural are under tight monetary budgets. Just look here in York with the budetary constraints and the possible need to get rid of police and firefighters vs raising taxes. It is becoming more and more of a problem for all localities to maintain a correct balance. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/02/2015 2:08 pm  #10

Mea culpa, I took it wrong.

It's been one of those days. Burnt my mouth on coffee this morning and nothing's been going right since.

Sadly, as I'm writing this, the news is showing video of the LAPD shooting and killing a homeless man. 

Board footera