The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/25/2016 11:24 am  #51

Re: Timing: LATE FRIDAY INTO EARLY SUNDAY PRECIPITATION TYPE: HEAVY SNOW

Snow plow finally opened the road early this morning, which of course meant rescraping the lane flare, a little hand work to finish that up; all done in about an hour.   Put a fresh layer of ash on that end of the lane to keep icing to a minimum.

It was bitter cold over night:  6.3 degrees for the low but now warming up to nearly freezing.  I expect a fair amount of melting this afternoon.

Life is an Orthros.

1/25/2016 4:11 pm  #52

flowergirl wrote:

Hey The Man--if you're not busy tomorrow morning sure could use and extra blower up here at exit 35.  The truck just finished placing another 4' in front of a driveway that already has that much and more to be cleared.  I can't get out of any of my doors or windows including the garage door.  Totally snowed in and it's going to take more than one monster snow blower to get me out.  Could I call the National Guard?

Times like this I really wish I had a pickup truck or some other way to haul a snowblower so I could go around helping people out.  I work in York City and I can't believe the roads there!  Many of them haven't had a snow plow yet, at all.  There were people attempting to shovel and snowblow the streets, but it's piled so high after digging out their cars.

Last edited by The Man (1/25/2016 4:15 pm)

1/28/2016 10:39 am  #53

This was one heck of a snow storm. The snow was bad but then add the wind and you know why there were blizzard warnings. We had snow drifted 4 foot high on our front door. Never have seen it that high before. Opening the driveway to our street was a challenge. Between the actual snow, then add in blowing snow and what the snow plow pushed up. The drift was about 4 to 5 feet tall and about 8 to 10 feet deep. Thank goodness for the snow blower.

After I finished with our cleaning I did help some of the neighbors. There was just so much snow to try and hand shovel it. I get a feeling there are going to be more snow blowers for the next snow storm! 

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

1/28/2016 3:04 pm  #54

Thank you for helping your neighbors.  In the past and until recently I watched neighbors with very large snow blowers clean off their own drives & walks then put away the snow blowers.  I shoveled my own drive & walks until I couldn't lift another shovel of even air and several winters ago saw a good buy on a snow blower I could handle and bought it.  After using it for several winters I never could understand why the neighbors did their own and put it away.  I love using my blower but this latest storm was no match for it.  A neighborhood newby with a monster snow blower cleared me out and retuned this morning to do more after the mailman decided it was too much trouble to stop at my box.  For this neighbor there is a luscious chocolate cake in his future.

1/29/2016 9:52 am  #55

flowergirl wrote:

Thank you for helping your neighbors.  In the past and until recently I watched neighbors with very large snow blowers clean off their own drives & walks then put away the snow blowers.  I shoveled my own drive & walks until I couldn't lift another shovel of even air and several winters ago saw a good buy on a snow blower I could handle and bought it.  After using it for several winters I never could understand why the neighbors did their own and put it away.  I love using my blower but this latest storm was no match for it.  A neighborhood newby with a monster snow blower cleared me out and retuned this morning to do more after the mailman decided it was too much trouble to stop at my box.  For this neighbor there is a luscious chocolate cake in his future.

Good to hear you had some help! I know your snow helper will really enjoy the delicious chocolate cake!
I know what you mean about shoveling till you could not do it any more. Same thing caused me to get the snow blower. I have a monster snow blower so that is why I can help others.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

Board footera