The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/23/2016 9:12 am  #41

Re: Timing: LATE FRIDAY INTO EARLY SUNDAY PRECIPITATION TYPE: HEAVY SNOW

Weather report from Southern York County

Winds are steady at about 12 and peak gusts of 22. Heavy snow currently.  Temp is 19
I think we have about 17 inches of snow but it is hard to get a good measurement. Lots of drifting. Can not open the front door because there is snow about a foot high on the storm door. There are easily 3 foot drifts on the east garage door. At times the heavy snow is going sideways.

I stocked the bird feeders so our feathered friends are at the window feeders taking advantage of all the food. Cardinals, Several types of wood peckers and a bunch of smaller birds.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

1/23/2016 9:56 am  #42

Common Sense wrote:

Winds are steady at about 12 and peak gusts of 22. Heavy snow currently.  Temp is 19
I think we have about 17 inches of snow but it is hard to get a good measurement. Lots of drifting. Can not open the front door because there is snow about a foot high on the storm door. There are easily 3 foot drifts on the east garage door. At times the heavy snow is going sideways.

I stocked the bird feeders so our feathered friends are at the window feeders taking advantage of all the food. Cardinals, Several types of wood peckers and a bunch of smaller birds.

It is hard to measure.  I just say that we have A LOT of snow, and increasing.  About noon today I'm going to take the snowblower on its maiden voyage.

1/23/2016 10:25 am  #43

The Man wrote:

Common Sense wrote:

It is hard to measure. I just say that we have A LOT of snow, and increasing. About noon today I'm going to take the snowblower on its maiden voyage.

Have fun with your new toy. It sure beats the heck out of shoveling!!

I going to try to attach my camera to the snow blower and shoot a short video . 
It's hard for people who are not here to understand what it is like with the wind and snow.
hope it works.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

1/23/2016 10:30 am  #44

Snow in York County: Up to 3 feet possible

http://www.ydr.com/story/weather/2016/01/22/when-snow-start-york-county/79157494/

Bill James, of the York County Department of Emergency Services, said YCDES is not responding any differently now that the storm has shifted north and the forecast has gone up to three feet of snow in most of York County.

The main concerns are possible power outages and drifting when the winds are expected to pick up in the afternoon, James said.“We’re in contact with the utility companies and get updates from them, and they’re staffed and ready,” James said. “If it gets bad, we can get ahold of them and get them shifted to do the things we need.”Update: 9:51 a.m.AccuWeather meteorologist Tyler Roys said the York area could see between one and two feet through the remainder of the storm. Some areas could see up to three feet.

Snow storms that have tallied up to two feet of snow in the York area include storms from 2010, 1994, 1996, 1987 and 1978.

Last edited by Common Sense (1/23/2016 10:30 am)

1/23/2016 6:45 pm  #45

NEW RECORD: Biggest snowfall of all time in Harrisburg
This storm is shaping up to be historic for most of the Susquehanna Valley 

This storm is historic for most of the Susquehanna Valley.Just after 5 p.m. on Saturday, the News 8 Storm Team says this is now the BIGGEST snowfall of all-time for Harrisburg International Airport!

28.6 inches at the Airport

Last edited by Common Sense (1/23/2016 6:45 pm)

1/24/2016 5:39 pm  #46

The snowblower is awesome!  One of the best purchases I've ever made.  What a maiden voyage it was, the most snow we've ever received.  I was completely cleared out in about 3 hours total.  60 feet of driveway, 100 feet of sidewalk, a 6 foot tall, 10 feet wide mountain courtesy of the snow plow, my front porch and part of my deck, and I don't feel like a 90 year old man when I'm done!

1/24/2016 6:13 pm  #47

The Man wrote:

10 feet wide mountain courtesy of the snow plow,!

What's a snow plow?

Have not seen nor heard one since mid afternoon Saturday.  At least 15 imore nches fell in the area that was plowed.

My tractor mounted snow thrower blew its tensioner just after the final clearing.   We were going to grind back one more "snow wall" when suddenly the auger stopped turning.   Fortunately this looks like a DIY repair, and very fortunately there is no immediate need for the equipment looming on the horizon.

Life is an Orthros.

1/24/2016 7:01 pm  #48

What's a snow plow?

Ha!  I would get the same response from my daughter who lives in Tampa. 

1/24/2016 10:12 pm  #49

Hey The Man--if you're not busy tomorrow morning sure could use and extra blower up here at exit 35.  The truck just finished placing another 4' in front of a driveway that already has that much and more to be cleared.  I can't get out of any of my doors or windows including the garage door.  Totally snowed in and it's going to take more than one monster snow blower to get me out.  Could I call the National Guard?

1/25/2016 7:24 am  #50

Our son-in-law and grandson arrived around 5:30 yesterday evening after plowing out their farm lanes and a road out to 74 near the Brogue. They brought the pick up with plow and a trailer that hauled a Cat skid steer loader. So, they cleared out our lane, dug out the mailbox that was buried by road plows, and got our cars clear where they sat at the turn around. So, thanks to their effort, we're good to go.

Still have a little manual digging out around the wood pile, back patio, and a path to fill the bird feeders.

Board footera