The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/22/2016 8:01 am  #31

Re: Timing: LATE FRIDAY INTO EARLY SUNDAY PRECIPITATION TYPE: HEAVY SNOW

The Bread Isle in a grocery store in Alexandria

Panic much?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/22/2016 8:11 am  #32

Goose wrote:

The Bread Isle in a grocery store in Alexandria

Panic much?

What is the deal when snow storms hit and the must buys are Bread, Milk and Toilet paper??
You are going to be stuck in the house for maybe a day and a half.

Have you noticed now with the weather reports that they use a number of people that will be effected by the storm.  100 million people will be effected by the storm.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

1/22/2016 10:14 am  #33

You snooze you loose!  I like the photo/story in this morning's YDR showing an asst. manager at a Weis store restocking bread and milk on the shelves--anticipatory action.

1/22/2016 10:29 am  #34

The latest run of the NAM (North American) forecast model has the storm shifting to the north. If that happens, good luck central PA 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

1/22/2016 1:27 pm  #35

Uh oh.  Not good.

1/22/2016 6:54 pm  #36

I'm not as stressed about this devastating winter snowstorm now that I've learned that it's been named after a pop boy band.

Winter storm Jonas.

Why does it need a name?

1/22/2016 7:04 pm  #37

Rongone wrote:

I'm not as stressed about this devastating winter snowstorm now that I've learned that it's been named after a pop boy band.

Winter storm Jonas.

Why does it need a name?

Good question.  I've never heard of a winter storm receiving a name before this.  I guess some marketing group thought a name might help boost headlines and ratings?

1/22/2016 7:12 pm  #38

The NAM map is pretty much in agreement with the present radar.

Life is an Orthros.

1/22/2016 9:20 pm  #39

Got the floodlights turned on watching the blizzard outside while ingesting a blizzard inside:

Life is an Orthros.

1/23/2016 9:05 am  #40

Rongone wrote:

Winter storm Jonas.

Why does it need a name?

When did winter storms start getting names?
http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2014/01/when_did_winter_storms_start_g.html

"Winter Storm Leon" turned up in a few placesthis week as a name for the cold snap and precipitation that paralyzed south Louisiana, and much of the South, for two days.

That raises the question: Just when did winter storms start getting names? Sure, tropical weather storms have carried official names, courtesy of the National Weather Service, for more than a half century. But the federal agency doesn't name winter storms.The Weather Channel, however, does.

On its own, the commercial television and online service began naming winter storms in 2012. On weather.com, Tom Niziol explained the decision.South Louisiana might be forgiven for missing this would-be trend. It suffers few winter storms -- and, indeed, not much of a winter at all.And it turns out that not all smile on The Weather Channel's practice. "T=1emhe likely reason for the naming of winter storms is, of course, ratings. ... Without viewers, they don't exist," says a blog post on wunderground.com. Sa=1emid Joel Myers, AccuWeather founder and president: "We have explored this issue for 20 years and have found that this is not good science and will mislead the public."

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

Board footera