The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2016 10:55 am  #1

Timing: LATE FRIDAY INTO EARLY SUNDAY PRECIPITATION TYPE: HEAVY SNOW

https://www.facebook.com/SsStormChasingAndForecastingTeam

It's time to gas up the snow blower! If you don't have one head out and get one. Looks like you will need it if the predictions are correct after this storm.

GOOD MORNING !

As we have seen a few more model runs, they have gone back to a slightly more north solution. This is a first call map and we believe it is a conservative first call at this time. Numbers may very well be increased on our second call tonight at 8 p.m. As you can see start time will be late Friday and the storm system will last through most of the day Saturday into early Sunday morning. Conditions will likely be near blizzard like at times.

We DO EXPECT winter storm watches to be issued soon and some areas in our coverage may very well get a blizzard warning during this event. Now is the time to make any final preparations to last you til Tuesday. Please make sure your neighbors especially any elderly people you may know have food water and batteries for flashlights as well as prescriptions to get them through into next week. Also do not forget the pets ! Winds will be a big factor in this storm and may very well knock out power.

Snowdrifts may be very high in spots and create extremely dangerous conditions for traveling. Again this is a first call and these numbers are likely to be increased if we gain for their confidence throughout today with new data coming in. Our SECOND CALL will be tonight at 8 p.m. There is always the possibility that things can change in either direction so stay tuned to updates throughout the day.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

1/20/2016 11:26 am  #2

Re: Timing: LATE FRIDAY INTO EARLY SUNDAY PRECIPITATION TYPE: HEAVY SNOW

Who knows, they could be correct ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

1/20/2016 11:27 am  #3

I've been in full weather nerd mode the past couple of days following along with all the forecast models and meteorological commentary.

And my know nothing know it all forecast at this time, based on all that I have read, is that the storm will track south and clobber Washington D.C and the mid-Atlantic, but Central PA and Southeast PA will be spared the brunt of the storm.  

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

1/20/2016 11:28 am  #4

Just about every forecast I have seen today has us at least 12+ inches of snow, and if the storm moves a little north we could be close to 2 feet.

1/20/2016 11:30 am  #5

I am PRETTY SURE Florida will be spared ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

1/20/2016 11:31 am  #6

I haven't seen local weather forecasters this excited since reporting on how many 90+ degree days in a month last summer. Seems as though the frantic emotional news reporting has leeched into the realm of weather forecasting.

Time to rush to the supermarket and stock up on essential foodstuffs so we don't starve to death during this snow crisis.

1/20/2016 11:44 am  #7

Rongone wrote:

I haven't seen local weather forecasters this excited since reporting on how many 90+ degree days in a month last summer. Seems as though the frantic emotional news reporting has leeched into the realm of weather forecasting.

Time to rush to the supermarket and stock up on essential foodstuffs so we don't starve to death during this snow crisis.

To give credit where due, the NWS has been reminding people throughout the week that the storm will be very unpredictable and that everyone should be wary of snow total forecasts issued more than 72 hours before the predicted start of the storm. 

I know the NWS Philly office isn't issuing accumulation predictions until late this afternoon or early this evening. 

That said, down in D.C., they already have Blizzard Watches posted for Friday night and Saturday. So I guess we're getting something. 

The next weather models will be out in about 30 minutes or so. 

Personally, I love everything about a big snowstorm. Playing with my kid in the snow. Making a snowman. Engendering good will with my neighbors by busting out my snowblower and clearing their sidewalks. 

When there's a particularly good storm, I'll move our firepit to to the driveway, get a good fire going and invite the neighbors over for some beers and booze. That usually leads to questionable decisions, such as tying the kids snow tube to the back of a car and pulling each other around the neighborhood, but you know,  that's what adulthood is for, right?

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

1/20/2016 12:13 pm  #8

TheLagerLad wrote:

Rongone wrote:

To give credit where due, the NWS has been reminding people throughout the week that the storm will be very unpredictable and that everyone should be wary of snow total forecasts issued more than 72 hours before the predicted start of the storm. 

I know the NWS Philly office isn't issuing accumulation predictions until late this afternoon or early this evening. 

That said, down in D.C., they already have Blizzard Watches posted for Friday night and Saturday. So I guess we're getting something. 

The next weather models will be out in about 30 minutes or so. 

Personally, I love everything about a big snowstorm. Playing with my kid in the snow. Making a snowman. Engendering good will with my neighbors by busting out my snowblower and clearing their sidewalks. 

When there's a particularly good storm, I'll move our firepit to to the driveway, get a good fire going and invite the neighbors over for some beers and booze. That usually leads to questionable decisions, such as tying the kids snow tube to the back of a car and pulling each other around the neighborhood, but you know,  that's what adulthood is for, right?

Well, IF you can get enough beer and booze for anti-freeze, here is a good adult snow activity. 

1/20/2016 1:37 pm  #9

Here is another way of looking at it ! 

1/20/2016 1:49 pm  #10

I'm sorta with Tennyson on this one.  While hoards of people will be out there buying bread and milk, I'm off to stock up on beer and cigars.  I can survive for days (maybe weeks) without bread and milk.

Board footera