The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2016 10:16 am  #1

ISIS destroys Iraq's oldest Christian monastery, satellite photos

ISIS destroys Iraq's oldest Christian monastery, satellite photos confirm

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/01/20/isis-destroys-iraqs-oldest-christian-monastery-satellite-photos-confirm.html?intcmp=hpbt1

ERBIL, Iraq –  Satellite photos obtained by The Associated Press confirm what church leaders and Middle East preservationists had feared: The oldest Christian monastery in Iraq has been reduced to a field of rubble, yet another victim of the Islamic State group's relentless destruction of heritage sites it considers heretical.St. Elijah's Monastery stood as a place of worship for 1,400 years, including most recently for U.S. troops.

In earlier millennia, generations of monks tucked candles in the niches, prayed in the chapel, worshipped at the altar. The Greek letters chi and rho, representing the first two letters of Christ's name, were carved near the entrance.This month, at the request of the AP, satellite imagery firm DigitalGlobe tasked a high resolution camera to grab photos of the site, and then pulled earlier images of the same spot.Before it was razed, a partially restored, 27,000-square-foot stone and mortar building stood fortress-like on a hill above Mosul. Although the roof was largely missing, it had 26 distinctive rooms including a sanctuary and chapel.

One month later photos show "that the stone walls have been literally pulverized," said imagery analyst Stephen Wood, CEO of Allsource Analysis, who pinpointed the destruction between August and September 2014."Bulldozers, heavy equipment, sledgehammers, possibly explosives turned those stone walls into this field of gray-white dust. They destroyed it completely," he said from his Colorado offices.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

1/20/2016 10:50 am  #2

Re: ISIS destroys Iraq's oldest Christian monastery, satellite photos

Reminds me of the Taliban destroying the Buddhist shrines ! 

There is religious intolerance in all lands -- all that changes is the degree. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

1/20/2016 11:38 am  #3

These people are beyond my understanding.
They are from a different millennium.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/20/2016 6:35 pm  #4

Taliban-Moslem Brotherhood-ISIS-ISIL.....just different heads of the same serpent.

They are stuck in the early 8th century--yes, another millenium.

Life is an Orthros.

1/22/2016 3:02 pm  #5

tennyson wrote:

Reminds me of the Taliban destroying the Buddhist shrines ! 

There is religious intolerance in all lands -- all that changes is the degree. 

I remember seeing video of that.  Using RPG's to blow up carvings and such.

How sad.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

1/22/2016 3:03 pm  #6

I'll never understand the need to destroy.

This serves no purpose at all.  None.

It's just senseless.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

1/22/2016 7:33 pm  #7

I think I might have an explanation for this kind of thing:

Throughout history when there is a conflict between one nation or religious belief system and another, one side believes they can destroy another by wiping out the symbols of the opponents' belief system.  It never really works, because the dopes that try to do that actually think if they can destroy the symbols, they can remove the mindset of those that created those symbols.

To reference a simple analogy, think what the Grinch did to try to stop Christmas ........ he stole their stockings, their toys, their gifts, their Christmas trees, etc.  But, in the end, did he stop Christmas?  No, because Christmas is a concept ........ an idea that transcends the symbols of the belief or faith.

As someone who has studied art history, it saddens me to see these artifacts and artworks destroyed and gone forever, but the criminals that ruined the symbols only make the believers stronger and more determined.  It never works, but the destroyers are too near-sighted and stupid to realize that.

Last edited by Just Fred (1/22/2016 7:35 pm)

1/22/2016 9:22 pm  #8

As Tertullian wrote in the bloody third century, "the blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church"

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera