The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/28/2015 1:23 am  #1

Difficult Decisions for the York County Heritage Trust

Recently there was a story in our local newspapers about the serious problems and difficult decisions facing the York County Historical Trust (Historical Society). Because of impending maintenance and increased costs and dwindling funds the following actions and/or other ideas are being considered.

Option #1 the Status Quo with liquidation of the J. E. Baker Buiding (currently used for storage) and reduction in times of operation and cutting some employees,

OPTION #2 Consolidation of York County Historical Trust Properties and disposing of the Agricultural and Industrial Museum

OPTION #3 Consolidation of York Historical Properties to the Agricultural and Industrial Museum on West Princess Street.

OPTION #4 The buying of the old Metropolitan Edison Steam Plant Complex and refurbishing the building.

These are only the general ideas of each of these proposals. You can stop by the Trust and get full details.

Meanwhile each of us can do something to help. First, after many years of letting my membership expire - I went to the Trust Museum and started a new membership - you can do the same. You can also make an outright contribution to help the Trust which I have also done . Secondly, you can visit the museum properties - a great percentage of York County residents have never visited any of the York County Heritage Trust properties. Third, you can find out more about the options currently being considered and let your voice be heard, but hurry your comments must be heard before March 31, 2015. You can respond by phone, mail, email, in person or on the Trust's website.

There are some very important and long reaching decisions which will impact this wonderful Trust and its long standing vital contribution to the history and culture of our community. It would be really helpful and convenient and perhaps stir up greater public interest and sentiment if a public hearing/informationa/discussionl meeting were held somewhere that people could express their views publicly. Such a meeting might get our community more involved and come to the rescue of the Trust. Here is the recent article from the Daily Record. http://www.ydr.com/local/ci_27445141/heritage-trust-mulls-major-changes

Last edited by JimmyBear (2/28/2015 7:43 am)

3/15/2015 1:01 pm  #2

Re: Difficult Decisions for the York County Heritage Trust

There is still time to let your voice be heard about the difficult decisions that the York County Historical Trust must consider. There is a public meeting being held on Saturday, March 21 at 9:30 am in the Historical Society building on East Market Street, There is also the possibility of additional meetings being held. If you are free and want your voice heard about the possible changes the York County Historical Trust is considering, please try to make this meeting. 

Last edited by JimmyBear (3/15/2015 10:37 pm)

3/15/2015 6:10 pm  #3

Thanks, JimmyBear.  Tough decisions.  I'd say lose the J. E. Baker building.  That's so far out of the way and doesn't seem to fit in with the other properties to me.  JMO.

3/15/2015 8:56 pm  #4

Someone correct me if I am wrong--I thought the Baker building mentioned is a few doors down from the YHT building on E. Market St.

3/15/2015 9:37 pm  #5

You are correct.   The Baker building is just to the west of the YCHT main building containing the museum and library.

Life is an Orthros.

3/16/2015 2:58 pm  #6

Yesterday I heard that only one person showed up for the March 9, 2015 meeting -- that is really sad. Hope more people come to this Saturday's meeting at 9:30 am at the Historical Society on East Market Street. I fear part of the problems facing the York County Historical Trust is due to lack of public support and interest. 

3/16/2015 5:27 pm  #7

I thought it was in West York near Medusa.....

3/16/2015 5:35 pm  #8

Ooooops.  I just looked on www.showmystreet.com.  It's J.B.Fishel's that is in West York.  Sorry guys.

Nevermind.....

Last edited by florentine (3/16/2015 5:37 pm)

Board footera