The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2016 11:32 am  #31

Re: U.S. stocks; Dow futures plunge more than 300 points as China fears re

Airlines have continued to increase fares in spite of their lower fuel costs;

That's because the airlines usually try to stave off dramatic price swings by purchasing fuel in advance at whatever negotiated price they can get. This keeps fares down when gas prices spike, but unfortunately don't have the ability to lower fares at the same time gas prices are down.

That said, I am sure the airlines are buying up all the fuel that they can right now while prices are low as a hedge against any future increases.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

1/14/2016 6:15 pm  #32

DOW UP 228 !
Is is OK to post that here or is this just topic just reserved for downers ? 

Last edited by tennyson (1/14/2016 6:16 pm)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

1/15/2016 8:49 am  #33

Looks like we can get back on track with the "downer news" today ! (and I am NOT talking about the GOP "debate")  

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

1/15/2016 10:34 am  #34

tennyson wrote:

DOW UP 228 !
Is is OK to post that here or is this just topic just reserved for downers ? 

That is great!   up 228!

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

1/15/2016 10:36 am  #35

Dow briefly plunges 400 points after oil rout; transports fall 2%
Lets hope for a buying spree this afternoon?

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/15/us-markets.html

Last edited by Common Sense (1/15/2016 10:37 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

1/15/2016 11:30 am  #36

When oil prices drop we cheer because it costs less to fill the tank, but realize it also causes the DOW to drop, too.  Anyway, coupled with the mess in China and the understanding that our stock market is tied into a global economy, I'm not sure there is much we, as a nation, can do alot about it. 

But low, sell high sounds easy doesn't it?  Wasn't there some tycoon some years ago who said he bought when the rest of the investors were selling, and sold when the rest were buying?  Anyone know who that guy was?

1/15/2016 11:54 am  #37

Just Fred wrote:

When oil prices drop we cheer because it costs less to fill the tank, but realize it also causes the DOW to drop, too.  Anyway, coupled with the mess in China and the understanding that our stock market is tied into a global economy, I'm not sure there is much we, as a nation, can do alot about it. 

But low, sell high sounds easy doesn't it?  Wasn't there some tycoon some years ago who said he bought when the rest of the investors were selling, and sold when the rest were buying?  Anyone know who that guy was?

It is not really that low oil prices cause the DOW to go down, but more that low oil prices reflect two things - a slowing global economy and an oversupply of oil. The former is more responsible for the DOW to contract as most companies nowadays are firmly entrenched in the global economy. 

Last edited by tennyson (1/15/2016 11:55 am)

1/15/2016 12:45 pm  #38

Agreed.  My point was that oil pricing has a ripple effect throughout the market regardless of the reasons behind it.  I get the feeling the fossil fuel industry is a global government entity that answers to no one but themselves.

1/15/2016 3:13 pm  #39

Getting pretty bloody out there.
On the bright side, I cashed in a fair amount of stock in January 2015 to have cash on hand for youngest Daughter's college in 2017.

Also prepaid some mortgage.

Those two things were my best "investments" in 2015.

Too bad I didn't put the 401k in cash 

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/15/2016 5:15 pm  #40

Just Fred wrote:

Agreed.  My point was that oil pricing has a ripple effect throughout the market regardless of the reasons behind it.  I get the feeling the fossil fuel industry is a global government entity that answers to no one but themselves.

IF the global fossil fuel industry answered to no one, then they would be in the cat bird seat instead of losing big time right now. I am not worried about the really big players. They have deep pockets. 

Please explain just how the oil pricing itself ripples through the market. I would be interested in how you think that works. 

Board footera