The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/04/2016 6:11 am  #1

The Scam Of Olive Oil, And Its Antidote

The

Last edited by Goose (3/06/2016 6:50 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/04/2016 8:37 am  #2

Re: The Scam Of Olive Oil, And Its Antidote

Good piece.  For me, personally, when I travel to Florence/Tuscany every year I buy a few bottles of the 'good stuff' from small family run farms that don't pick their olives and send the harvest off to a co-op.  They process the stuff right there on the farm.  It rarely makes it to a store.  In fact, many of the workers take their pay in the form of olive oil instead of a paycheck.

1/04/2016 2:01 pm  #3

Checking my two Trader Joe's bottles of olive oil I do not see any dates except on the cap of one bottle.  Written in Italian and English the date is 7/18/16.  One bottle is from olives grown & harvested in the Puglia, Calabria & Sicily regions of  Italy and the other is Kalamata olive oil from Greece.  The Greek bottle I see a 8/2016 date and lot #363.  I suppose I could contact TJ's and ask what they can tell me of the origins of their olive oil but do I care enough to know.  Probably not.  I've used TJ's olive oil for several years and it is all I need since I do not use it that often.

1/04/2016 2:14 pm  #4

You mean I've been lubricating my olives with some cheap knock-off ! ? ! ?

What's this world coming to?

Board footera