The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/23/2015 12:19 pm  #11

Re: House GOP's interim budget plan draws governor's veto threat

Goose wrote:

When bad punctuation happens to good people. 

Another personal attack? Just can not help yourself?

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

12/23/2015 12:20 pm  #12

Common Sense wrote:

Goose wrote:

When bad punctuation happens to good people. 

Another personal attack? Just can not help yourself?

Not a personal attack at all.
The choice of punctuation made your statements confusing.
I asked you to clarify, and you offered a non response.

Last edited by Goose (12/23/2015 12:21 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

12/23/2015 12:49 pm  #13

Common Sense wrote:

So two democratic members votes are being manipulated while they are not even in the capital complex and you are upset at Scott Wagner? 

The vote is taking place in the house and he is a Senator? He votes in the Senate? Not the house?
Bad, bad Scott Wagner he is the cause of the current trouble in the state house?
Well some people think that?? 

Let me ask you something Common: do you ever write, call, e-mail, or directly contact your state senator or representative on issues that have an effect or interest to you? Or do you just copy and paste articles on a board like this?

I can assure you that I am in regular contact with both Wagner (my senator) and Saylor (my rep) to let them know my position on state issues. I am a regular recipient of e-mail updates from my elected reps on both state and federal levels. I have been asked to participate on certain forums with elected officials. I read about issues and check how my elected officials vote on issues. I firmly believe and practice the adage that a representative republic is a participatory form of government.

First of all, you posted the comments made by senator Wagner concerning the workings of the general assembly. I commented on his observations based on his voting record and his obstructionist position on his sworn duty under the state constitution to perform his duties regarding the development and passage of an agreed to annual budget. He, himself, has been derelict in that duty - many times due to purely politically partisan, uncompromising positions. For senator Wagner to call out the entire house and two representatives (of the opposite party, by the way) for playing politics is an insidious, self serving charge.

I also let my elected reps know when I agree with their positions, and I have agreed with senator Wagner's stance on some issues. However, the inability of our elected officials in both the state assembly and senate to develop and pass an annual budget on time is an egregious failure. It is up to the voters to make them aware of this fact.

I intend to continue to let my elected reps know how I feel about issues. The ultimate reflection of how I feel they have performed their duties is when I submit my vote in the next general election. As a registered Independent, in PA I rarely have the opportunity to vote in primaries. Right now, neither senator Wagner nor representative Saylor will have my vote. One of the big reasons behind that decision is because of the lousy job they both have done during this budget impasse that has had an overall negative effect on the lives of their constituents.

Now, I hope that explains my comments on your posting about Scott Wagner to your satisfaction.

12/23/2015 2:15 pm  #14

One of the issues blocking the budget is opposition to changing the public employees pension plan from a defined benefit program to a defined contribution plan. You know, change it to a 401K style benefit . . . Like most of the working world has come to live with. Despite the fact that the vast majority of their constituents favor moving the pension plan in this direction, state lawmakers are against this move. Perhaps because of their own greedy, self centered interests. Maybe incidents like this will help persuade them to get off their duffs, make the change, and include it in an approved annual budget (not a stop gap measure) that needs to be passed now:

By: Mark Scolforo
The Associated Press

HARRISBURG, Pa. -- Pennsylvania's state government pension system is about to send Jerry Sandusky a $211,000 check to cover payments going back to when it illegally stopped his retirement benefits after he was sentenced for child molestation.

The State Employees' Retirement System sent a letter to Sandusky's lawyer last week, informing him of the payment and that his $4,900 monthly annuity will resume in January. The Associated Press obtained the letter on Wednesday.

The 71-year-old former Penn State assistant coach is serving a lengthy prison term after being convicted in 2012 of sexual abuse of 10 boys.

A court ruled on Nov. 13 that the pension system was wrong to classify Sandusky as a university employee at the time of the abuse crimes that were the basis of his pension forfeiture.

Board footera