The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/25/2015 10:52 am  #11

Re: Obama vetoes Keystone XL

florentine wrote:

It does NOT benefit us. The oil is not ours. It is being pumped to the gulf so it can be shipped to other countries. We don't get the oil. The Koch brothers own the lease on the Canadian tar sands and they will make big bucks from this pipeline. That is why they have bought all these politicians to pass this so they can get richer while we get nothing. The real clincher is there are things written into the agreement that state if there is a leak or catastrophe, they are not responsible for clean up or compensation for damages their pipeline has caused. WE are responsible. We get no benefits from this and the American people are getting screwed by promises that this is a big job created. It will create only 35 permanent jobs when all is said and done. This is a bad, bad thing for America.

And to top it off, our legislators have given the power of eminant domain to a foreign COMPANY.....not country, but company. A foreign company can now come in to this country and take American's land by eminent domain. I don't like when our government takes citizens' land and I especially don't like it when a foreign company is allowed to do it.

This whole pipeline fiasco is made up of so many bad decisions. It is mind boggling
that this has gotten so many supporters.

It does indirectly benefit the U.S. florentine. You can't look at oil being pumped out of the ground as belonging to that country. We're a global society. All of the oil goes into a big pool and the prices are set on a global commodities market. Yes, we may ship oil out of the U.S. to a buyer in India, but we buy oil from Kuwait, and Germany buys oil from Russia, but it is priced (generally) on an open global market.

And while yes, people make money from drilling and shipping oil, we benefit from it because need it. To power cars, get goods to market, to hop on a plane and travel somewhere. We need this oil. Hopefully not forever, but until we have a better way of producing energy, we're gonna be sucking down oil.

Again, if the State Department can perform its review and say it's worth it to have the pipeline and we can mitigate the risk of spills to the greatest extent possible, then I say build the darn thing.

What I have hated about all this is it being a political football that people get all up in arms about when in reality, it's 95% built already. 

Let's move on and focus on more improtant stuff.

Last edited by TheLagerLad (2/25/2015 10:53 am)

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

2/25/2015 11:40 am  #12

"And while yes, people make money from drilling and shipping oil, we benefit from it because need it. To power cars, get goods to market, to hop on a plane and travel somewhere. We need this oil. Hopefully not forever, but until we have a better way of producing energy, we're gonna be sucking down oil." - LagerLad

This sounds like the old "energy independence" argument. While crude oil for energy is a global market, if we want to establish a market that ensures the U.S. maintains control over the oil resources we require (still highest dependence on the planet), why are U.S. producers shutting down facilities due to production costs, have dangerous poorly maintained and somewhat obsolete refining facilities, yet lag the rest of the world in developing alternative energy sources?

Long or short term benefits of building another pipeline are very hard to find, let alone justify.

2/25/2015 11:46 am  #13

Florentine nailed it.  Any counter arguments?

2/25/2015 12:22 pm  #14

Rongone wrote:

"And while yes, people make money from drilling and shipping oil, we benefit from it because need it. To power cars, get goods to market, to hop on a plane and travel somewhere. We need this oil. Hopefully not forever, but until we have a better way of producing energy, we're gonna be sucking down oil." - LagerLad

This sounds like the old "energy independence" argument. While crude oil for energy is a global market, if we want to establish a market that ensures the U.S. maintains control over the oil resources we require (still highest dependence on the planet), why are U.S. producers shutting down facilities due to production costs, have dangerous poorly maintained and somewhat obsolete refining facilities, yet lag the rest of the world in developing alternative energy sources?

Long or short term benefits of building another pipeline are very hard to find, let alone justify.

It's far from the enegy independence argument.

The reason we put all of the oil into a global pool is to try and maintain stability in prices. It's beneficial for companies to be make reasonable assumptions on energy costs rather than to have to deal with significant fluctuations in pricing because of natural disasters, labor issues, or any other supply chain disruptions.

You make some good points about our aging refining infrastructure. I would tie that to just about everything else around domestic manufacturing. It's cheaper to do it overseas.

Take cotton for instance. We grow tons and tons of cotton. And end up shipping it overseas where it is cheaper to produce clothing and then send the finished products back to be sold to consumers.

Forgetting the potential environmental impact for a second, if Canada  built a cotton pipeline to get raw cotton to the Gulf, so it could be shipped to China to make t-shirts that would eventually be sold at Target or Kohl's, would anyone have a major problem with that?

It's kind of the same thing with oil. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

2/25/2015 1:42 pm  #15

I'm trying to recall the last time we had worldwide stability in oil prices.

Especially when market manipulators have more influence on pricing than the so-called free market.

Here's an article from the Business Insider that shows how unrefined oil is moved around the U.S. today:

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-the-us-transports-oil-in-5-graphics-2015-2

Last edited by Rongone (2/25/2015 3:59 pm)

2/25/2015 3:59 pm  #16

Rongone wrote:

I'm trying to recall the last time we had worldwide stability in oil prices.

Especially when market manipulators have more influence on pricing than the so-called free market.

Here's the last 5 years. February 2011 to August 2014 were relatively stable, wouldn't you agree?

Last edited by TheLagerLad (2/25/2015 4:00 pm)

2/25/2015 4:16 pm  #17

I guess it's all in how you define "stability".

40-60% swings from Jan. 2010 to Jan. 2015 (or whatever that far right vertical line is supposed to represent)
Or 30% swings from Feb. 2011 to Aug. 2014.

If that is the definition of pricing stability, then the increase in the price of my multigrain Cheerios over that same period is a real bargain.

2/25/2015 6:12 pm  #18

So now that the XL pipeline is vetoed (at least for now), do you think less oil will be coming out of the tarsands in Canda and if so why ?  (and if NOT why). 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/25/2015 7:26 pm  #19

Rongone wrote:

I guess it's all in how you define "stability".

40-60% swings from Jan. 2010 to Jan. 2015 (or whatever that far right vertical line is supposed to represent)
Or 30% swings from Feb. 2011 to Aug. 2014.

If that is the definition of pricing stability, then the increase in the price of my multigrain Cheerios over that same period is a real bargain.

There are certainly going to be dips and peaks, but if you look from Feb 2011 to August 2014, for the most part oil didn't go $10 above or below the $110 a barrel mark. That's what I mean by stability.

2/25/2015 7:35 pm  #20

Any reasonable person would agree that the Middle East is a tinderbox on a gasoline barrel. 

If any part of the world can reduce its dependency on Middle East crude through better access to North American oil that is a good thing.   Take away the need for ME oil and there becomes less and less "strategic value" to the Arabian peninsula.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera