The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/24/2015 11:35 am  #1

State House poised to vote on liquor privatization legislation

State House poised to vote on liquor privatization legislation

http://www.ydr.com/politics/ci_27588250/state-house-poised-vote-liquor-privatization-legislation

HARRISBURG >> Delaware County political leaders remain divided on GOP-backed liquor privatization legislation as the legislation kick-starts its way back to the House this week.House Liquor Control Committee Republicans outnumbered committee Democrats Monday pushing the liquor privatization legislation onto the House by a 15-10 vote.The proposal creates 1,200 additional liquor licenses for retail businesses to sell wine and spirits, allow grocery stores to sell wine, increase penalties on license violators and provide assistance to liquor store employees expected to be jobless once state-owned stores close."At the end of the day, this is a private retail and wholesale business that, in every other state except for one is managed by the private sector," said Rep. Chris Ross, R-158, of Chester County, who also severs as the committee chairman. "We don't have state grocery stores. We don't have state gas stations."Ross, calling the current method a "fundamentally flawed system," said Pennsylvania legislatures have the opportunity "to move outside of a failed system that was never meant to be successful." Democrats continue to disagree with the GOP stance on liquor.

Last edited by Common Sense (2/24/2015 11:36 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

2/24/2015 11:42 am  #2

Re: State House poised to vote on liquor privatization legislation

What are the odds of privatization winning?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/24/2015 12:22 pm  #3

Not sure, Goose.  I can see both sides of this entire issue. 

On the one hand, our prices are higher than most other states and the selection of wines, for example, is rather pathetic. 

On the other hand, the state is projected to lose about 200 million dollars in revenue if alcohol sales were to be privatized.

I'm not sure it's simply a Republican vs Democratic thing.

2/24/2015 12:26 pm  #4

In answer to Goose's question it has a 0% chance at this point. 

There are far too many constituencies that need to be satisfied before this can get done.

The Democrats want to protect the union that staffs the liquor stores.

The Republican (and Dems as well) want to protect the small family run businesses that serve as the beer distributorships, bars, and taverns.

Liquor privitization will give the state a one time influx of cash to the general fund and will be a boon to big companies like Walmart, the big grocery chains, and the big convenience store chains (think Wawa, Sheetz, Rutters).

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

2/24/2015 1:20 pm  #5

Isn't PA, if not the only state in the Union, one of the very few which still regulate alcohol sales like a bully parent?  Doesn't the state realize how much money it loses in taxes by residents going elsewhere for better selection and cheaper prices?  There's absolutely no legitimate reason to continue to operate under a system  whose uesfulness  passed decades ago. There a zillions of companies just waiting to hand over millions & millions to the state initially to get the licenses and continue to pass onto the state coffers the money they will continue to collect in taxes.  That the governor would veto a bill if this change passes is beyond my understanding.

2/24/2015 1:44 pm  #6

flowergirl wrote:

Isn't PA, if not the only state in the Union, one of the very few which still regulate alcohol sales like a bully parent?  Doesn't the state realize how much money it loses in taxes by residents going elsewhere for better selection and cheaper prices?  There's absolutely no legitimate reason to continue to operate under a system  whose uesfulness  passed decades ago. There a zillions of companies just waiting to hand over millions & millions to the state initially to get the licenses and continue to pass onto the state coffers the money they will continue to collect in taxes.  That the governor would veto a bill if this change passes is beyond my understanding.

No. Several states heavily control alcohol. North Carolina, Alabama, Texas, and Utah all have state run liquor stores.

What is different about those states (except Utah) is that they don't have the wacky beer and wine laws like we do. You can buy those items just about anywhere.

The primary argument for keeping the liquor stores is that they are revenue drivers for the commonwealth. And I'm not talking about taxes. That's seperate. That's the profit made on selling alcohol. Fred said it's $200 million. I think the number is closer to $150 million, but either way that money goes into the general fund.

We very well could take a one time deluge of cash (about 1 billion in licenses) but that would be it. In the long run, we'd lose that revenue.

Is it worth it? Honestly, I don't know.

I will say that we could do something about how heavily beer and liquor is taxes in PA. I have a client in New Jersey that I visit a couple times a week. I can pick up a case of Troeg's Nugget Nectar beer at a NJ liquor store for $42.

That same case in Pennsylvania costs $50. That's all taxes.

Privitizing the liqor stores will not keep booze buyers near bordering states looking elsewhere for cheaper drinks.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

2/24/2015 2:22 pm  #7

Just came across this.....

State House aims at decriminalizing out-of-state liquor purchases

As the state House this week once again takes up the battle over liquor privatization, several Delco lawmakers are pushing for a more immediate cure.

They are pushing legislation to decriminalize out-of-state alcohol purchases. The proposed law would allow residents to bring home wine, beer and liquor purchased outside of Pennsylvania without facing legal ramifications.

Pennsylvania's current law restricts state residents from crossing borders and bringing back alcohol purchased outside the commonwealth, where they typically find cheaper prices. Violators could face up to 90 days in prison.

"It's almost a laughable offense," said state Rep. Joe Hackett, R-161, of Ridley Township.

Hackett and Sen. Dominic Pileggi, R-9, of Chester, introduced comparable legislation giving Pennsylvania residents more freedom when traveling to purchase alcoholic beverages beyond state lines.

"Many of my constituents frequently shop in Delaware, Maryland and New Jersey, and bring wine or spirits back into Pennsylvania not realizing they are creating a criminal offense under state law," Pileggi said Wednesday.

According to Pennsylvania State Police, 12,527 liquor law offenses, not including DUIs, were reported in 2013. It's a 13.3 percent decrease from offenses reported in 2012. The total number of sale and transportation of alcoholic beverage offenses are included in those figures.

A spokesperson from Pileggi's office said once the criminal penalties are eliminated, activity in out-of-state purchases isn't expected to increase.

Hackett, who reintroduced the legislation in the House, took over the bill from Sen. John Taylor's previous introduction of the bill last session. Taylor joined the House Transportation Committee this session.

"It's time to reform this system," Taylor, R-177, of Philadelphia, said last year in a prepared statement regarding the introduction of his legislation.

Decriminalizing liquor transportation for personal consumption could pose as a difficult amendment to pass if associated with liquor privatization. The House, which passed a liquor privatization bill for the first time every last year only to see it die in the Senate, is expected to debate the process again this week.

Hackett said it might be an issue if it gets "tangled in the privatization bill."

"There's a fundamental disagreement on privatization," Pileggi said, adding that it's facing opposition between Democrats and Republicans, as well as along party lines.

"These simple, common sense measures tend to get tangled up in some of the more contentious and less agreed-to provisions," he said.

2/26/2015 5:05 pm  #8

PA House passes liquor privatization bill
http://www.ydr.com/politics/ci_27603418/pa-house-passes-liquor-privatization-bill

Liquor could come to a privately owned store near you if the Pennsylvania House of Representatives has its way.House Bill 466 passed the House with a vote of 114 to 87, divided largely by party lines."Today's vote begins to move our Commonwealth out of a disjointed system of selling wine and spirits that runs against our free market system," wrote Republican members of the York County delegation to the house in a prepared statement following the vote."Most of us probably know someone in our region who regularly makes the trip south for adult beverages, maybe even throwing in a stop for something to eat at their favorite Maryland restaurant. It's time to bring that practice to an end and keep those consumer dollars north of the Mason-Dixon Line," the added.

Last edited by Common Sense (2/26/2015 5:06 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

2/26/2015 5:31 pm  #9

Does this mean the LCB will be going away?

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

2/26/2015 9:03 pm  #10

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

Does this mean the LCB will be going away?

It could, but at this time the bill isn't expected to pass the Senate and even if it did, Gov. Wolf would veto it.

I took a look at the bill tonight and after a closer examination I think it's reasonable if you really want the state get out of the booze biz.

The bill calls for the State Stores to the sold and the wholesale operation to be dismantled.

Liquor licenses would be sold to beer distributors first, and at a reduced rate. Beer distributors could also begin selling beer by the 6 and 12 pack. Tavern and bar owners could sell up to 4-6 packs, up from 2..

Any liquor licenses not bought by beer distributors will be made available to the public, but at a higher price.

Some Dem legislators are complaining that if we privatized now, we wouldn't get the most value out of the state stores (the physical space). I agreed with this argument in 2010. But real estate is up and I believe the Commonwealth would get reasonable value for the properties.

So I guess it comes down to whether you want to give up the yearly revenue we get from the state stores for a one time cash fix, or if you just have a philosophical disagreement with your government selling hooch.

Board footera