The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/08/2015 8:25 am  #11

Re: Gun stocks rally after Obama’s prime-time address on terrorism

Messages like this from Sheriff Wayne Ivey of Brevard County Florida may help spur the sales of firearms, especially with the advent of the new TV shop at home for weapons network coming soon.

http://www.floridatoday.com/videos/news/crime/2015/12/07/76944174/

Sheriff Ivey says his message is designed to 'prepare, not scare' citizens, but the tone of his message seems to tilt to the scare side of the scale. It's not that I disagree with everything he says. I kind of agree with some stuff at the beginning of the message, but when he gets into his 'if you don't have a gun, you should go out and get one, and then take our tactical shooting class on the last Saturday of each month' (I'll bet that's a pretty comprehensive course) I get a little concerned about his methods to combat crime, especially being the sheriff. When he builds up to as many citizens as possible should be armed and obtain concealed carry permits to defend themselves against terrorists, but then insists he is not condoning vigilantes seems contradictory. If everybody takes his advice, I wonder how long it will be until a bunch of citizens and a group of cops end up shooting it out with each other in a frenzied conflict involving a perceived terroristic threat. Is this the kind of country we want to become? If it is the type of country you'd like to live in today, I suggest you make a move to Yemen, Sudan, or consider Syria . . . I hear property values are really down in that market. You might find a nice fixer-upper outside of Raqqa.

Last edited by Rongone (12/08/2015 8:30 am)

12/08/2015 9:14 am  #12

This is freakin' nuts!  I can see it all now .................. Bob suspects Wally is a terrorist.  Bob pulls out his gun.  Wally now thinks Bob is a terrorist, so he pulls his gun.  A shootout in the parking lot ensues.  Wally is killed, the police show up and kill Bob.  In the meantime, 7 bystanders are shot and wounded while 4 are killed.  Neither Wally nor Bob turn out to be terrorists, but hey, Wally looked a bit suspicious pushing a shopping cart loaded with stuff that looked like pipe bombs.  Turned out he just bought a bunch of candles for his kid's Christmas play.

Excuse me again, I need to bang my head against the wall for the second time this morning.

12/08/2015 10:09 am  #13

The smell of fear.
How did we let a some thugs reduce us to this state?
So much for "the home of the brave".

Last edited by Goose (12/08/2015 10:09 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

12/08/2015 11:27 am  #14

Just Fred wrote:

Common, why do you think gun sales and stocks rise after mass murders, or when gun control discussions surface periodically?

In a weird and sick way, gun manufacturers actually benefit from mass killings don't they?  Sort of a backdoor marketing strategy.

No Fred I don't think it's the murder it's the President who makes wild charges and threatens to use Executive action on gun control! That is what concerns people. You are going to see a massive increase in weapons sales, ammo sales and application to carry between now and the end of the year.

So are you saying that gun manufactures hope for/support mass murder so they can sell more?

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

12/08/2015 11:37 am  #15

Just Fred wrote:

This is freakin' nuts!  I can see it all now .................. Bob suspects Wally is a terrorist.  Bob pulls out his gun.  Wally now thinks Bob is a terrorist, so he pulls his gun.  A shootout in the parking lot ensues.  Wally is killed, the police show up and kill Bob.  In the meantime, 7 bystanders are shot and wounded while 4 are killed.  Neither Wally nor Bob turn out to be terrorists, but hey, Wally looked a bit suspicious pushing a shopping cart loaded with stuff that looked like pipe bombs.  Turned out he just bought a bunch of candles for his kid's Christmas play.

Excuse me again, I need to bang my head against the wall for the second time this morning.

This is the same thing we heard time after time when state after state passed carry laws. Go look at the FBI stats!
Violent crime has been on a down trend for years as more people carry and that is a fact. (There has been an up tick of violent crime in major cities this summer as we have seen on TV.)There were a total of 167,656 licenses to carry firearms issued as reported in
PA in 2011.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

12/08/2015 11:37 am  #16

Common Sense wrote:

Just Fred wrote:

Common, why do you think gun sales and stocks rise after mass murders, or when gun control discussions surface periodically?

In a weird and sick way, gun manufacturers actually benefit from mass killings don't they?  Sort of a backdoor marketing strategy.

No Fred I don't think it's the murder it's the President who makes wild charges and threatens to use Executive action on gun control! That is what concerns people. You are going to see a massive increase in weapons sales, ammo sales and application to carry between now and the end of the year.

So are you saying that gun manufactures hope for/support mass murder so they can sell more?

I repeat my post #8 on this topic: "We have more guns per capita than any other country in the world. Just how many guns does every man, woman and child need?"

"massive increase in weapons sales, ammo sales and application to carry between now and the end of the year."

Man, talk about overkill.

12/08/2015 11:40 am  #17

Just Fred wrote:

As if gun news aren't already difficult to swallow a new gun shopping network is soon to begin ala QVC.

Are you serious?

Next year will be a banner year for you because GunTV, a new, 24-hour live-shopping channel dedicated to the sale of guns and gun-related gear, is scheduled for a January 2016 launch.The GunTV programming schedule will include a mix of live shopping segments, firearms safety public service announcements and infomercials about guns, ammunition, gun accessories and outdoor goods and apparel.“All kinds of firearms, munitions, outdoor and shooting sports products” will be available, the GunTV website explains to prospective sellers. “Each product is reviewed for attributes that have the best opportunity for success. Items should have many of the following attributes: best value to the GunTV consumer, new, revolutionary, demonstrable, exclusives, collectable, unique, problem solving, solution oriented, quality.”

12/08/2015 11:42 am  #18

Rongone wrote:

Common Sense wrote:

Just Fred wrote:

I repeat my post #8 on this topic: "We have more guns per capita than any other country in the world. Just how many guns does every man, woman and child need?"

"massive increase in weapons sales, ammo sales and application to carry between now and the end of the year."

I think they want more than you want them to have?  What is a "acceptable' number for them to have?

12/08/2015 11:43 am  #19

Common Sense wrote:

Just Fred wrote:

This is the same thing we heard time after time when state after state passed carry laws. Go look at the FBI stats!
Violent crime has been on a down trend for years as more people carry and that is a fact. (There has been an up tick of violent crime in major cities this summer as we have seen on TV.)There were a total of 167,656 licenses to carry firearms issued as reported in
PA in 2011.

CS, do you think a massive increase in the proliferation of weapons and ammo among the citizens of the U.S., as you stated, will result in a measurable ongoing decrease in violent crime, including mass/spree killings?

12/08/2015 12:10 pm  #20

Common Sense wrote:

Rongone wrote:

Common Sense wrote:

I think they want more than you want them to have?  What is a "acceptable' number for them to have?

Acceptable numbers: zero assault style automatic or semi-automatic weapons with a clip capacity of more than seven rounds. Assault style weapons such as these are designed for military operations with the sole purpose to inflict maximum casualties in a kill zone. They have no purpose for civilian operations.

Weapons owned for hunting with proper licensing: as many as one person can fire at one time with weapons designed for this purpose specifically related to the prey you are seeking to kill, excluding human beings.

All weapons must be subject to stringent pre-purchase background checks which includes mental stability certification. Completion of authorized safety training would be required prior to purchase and yearly update certification would be required. All approved private owner weapons must be registered and the owner must obtain insurance prior to purchase and maintain liability insurance for each weapon owned and registered. Upon sale or loss of a privately owned weapon, the owner must transfer the title for that weapon to the new owner and notify insurance carrier of the transfer. Records of ownership will be kept and maintained by the state department of revenue. Costs for maintaining state records will be paid for with a tax levied on weapons buy/sell transactions which must take place in an authorized transfer office. The amount of the tax will be set by the state in which the buyer resides. Weapons manufacturers would be required to offer owner safe smart weapons in their public offerings. Smart weapons would receive discounted rates on the owner required liability insurance.

In short, a perspective civilian owner of weapons may own as many authorized weapons as they wish, as long as they pay the price, maintain the records, and keep their safety certification up-to-date.

Board footera