The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/06/2015 7:11 pm  #1

Classic Hanukkah Potato Latkes

Classic Hanukkah Potato Latkes

http://www.today.com/recipes/classic-hanukkah-potato-latkes-t58916

Cook time:25 minutesPrep time:18 minutesServings:8

As soon as I start frying up these classic Hanukkah potato pacakes called latkes, I'm transported back to my mother's kitchen. And when I take that first bite, I'm in heaven.

For Hanukkah, the eight-day Jewish festival of lights, traditional foods involve frying in olive oil to commemorate the miracle of the oil that burned in the Temple of Jerusalem for eight days instead of just one. Latkes help illustrate the miracle of the oil. While it's true that you can make baked latkes, I don't think they're worth the calories. Hanukkah comes once a year and I have no problems frying them up nice and crispy—but just for one night—not all eight.

3 Tips for Perfect Latkes
1. You have to grate the potatoes by hand with a box grater. Shredding them in the food processor will lead to heavy, hockey puck latkes.
2. The key to getting a crispy latke that holds together is to wring the heck out of the potato and onion mixture. Some people do add flour to the mixture to absorb any excess moisture, but my mother taught me that that's "cheating" so I avoid it.
3. Make sure the oil is shimmering—but not smoking--before you drop your latkes into the hot pan. If the oil isn't hot enough, it will absorb into the potato mixture and you'll get heavy and greasy latkes—yuck! You can test to see if the oil is hot enough by dropping a piece of the grated potato into the pan. If you hear a sizzle and the potato starts to become golden, it's ready.

And make sure to wear clothes that you don't care too much about—you will most certainly get potato juice on yourself and will end up smelling like a fried potato. Tradition!

I like to serve latkes with a side of Greek yogurt and applesauce, but you can serve them with whatever you like, including ketchup and Sriracha. They are best served hot, but if you do have leftover latkes, you can reheat them in the oven or toasted oven at 200° for about 10 minutes. Enjoy and Happy Hanukkah!

Frances Largeman-Roth, RDN, is a nutrition expert, writer and best-selling author. Her books include Feed the Belly, The CarbLovers Diet and Eating in Color.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

Board footera