The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/16/2015 7:48 pm  #1

Fresh, shelled English walnuts

What a bargain!  Weiss has 16 oz. resealable bags of mostly whole halves (not little pieces) on sale for $5.99.  I bought two bags and will probably get two more.  I don't know how long the sale is lasting.  I ate a couple of hands full as a snack and they are very fresh walnuts.  I checked around and the cheapest I could find 16 oz. of English walnuts was $7.89 a bag.

11/17/2015 6:44 pm  #2

Re: Fresh, shelled English walnuts

That is a very reasonable price.  And walnuts are good for you.

11/17/2015 7:43 pm  #3

Yeah--I went back today and bought two more pounds.  Since I don't do much if any baking anymore I'll keep them in the freezer and snack on them instead of junk.  I've rediscovered eating bananas and they go so great with the walnuts and other nuts.. 

11/17/2015 8:51 pm  #4

florentine wrote:

And walnuts are good for you.

Excellent source of protein. 

The Orthodox Nativity Fast began on Sunday.

It isn't quite as strict as Lent--we can have fish but not meat on any day other than Wednesday and Fridays until December 20--then not even fish until Christmas--but alternative sources of protein become very important.  Beans, hummus, and nuts are staples for the next six weeks.

Life is an Orthros.

11/18/2015 5:40 am  #5

Good time for some roasted chestnuts!

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

11/18/2015 7:53 am  #6

"And walnuts are good for you."

Especially when chopped up and baked into brownies. 

11/19/2015 6:22 pm  #7

Goose, are you aware that many of those chestnuts have worms in them?  I didn't know that until I gathered a bag from our chestnut tree for our mountain-man friend.  I left the bag on our kitchen counter and in a day or so worms came out of them.  I was horrified!  I told our mountain-man friend and he said they all have those worms.  If it bothers you, roast them.  He eats them raw.  It doesn't bother him.  I have not eaten any since the worm episode.

11/19/2015 7:38 pm  #8

Glad I'm not a chestnut fan!

Board footera