The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/08/2015 7:09 am  #1

Thanksgiving Sides

The NYT offers ten Thanksgiving sides.

http://cooking.nytimes.com/68861692/1805643-our-10-most-popular-thanksgiving-side-dishes?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=mini-moth&region=top-stories-below&WT.nav=top-stories-below

They look pretty good.
My grandmother always brought a corn pudding to the table. But hers was made with Copes dried corn.

The green beans look pretty good. Different than the green bean casserole that always shows up.

I like brussell sprouts as well. But mine I roast with pancetta.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

11/08/2015 11:41 am  #2

Re: Thanksgiving Sides

Oh yes, the dried corn.  That is what my Grandmother served every holiday.  Last year my stepdaughter served roasted root vegetables.....sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, white potatoes  just tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper.  They were a big hit even with the kids.

11/08/2015 2:03 pm  #3

What I remember from youth:

1) Stuffing made with chestnuts and a smaller portion (baked in the neck cavity) made with chestnuts and oysters.

2)  Cranberry gelatin made with oranges.

3)  Cope's corn

4)  Pearl onions in rich cream or cheese sauce

5)  Chow-chow.

6)  Sweet potatoes in browned sugar (Kings's syrup?) sauce.

Life is an Orthros.

11/08/2015 3:02 pm  #4

I'm getting hungry!

We do a cornbread dressing with chestnuts, sausage and some wild rice, onions etc.
Never tried oyster dressing, although I would like to. Are the oysters fresh or canned?

We will usually do either brussel sprouts or green beans

Wild rice

Baked onions

Roasted sweet potatoes

Bread and a green salad.

Mother in law brings homemade pies, one apple, one pumpkin.

Been that way forever, and it sure is sweet!

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

11/08/2015 4:57 pm  #5

I've made the oyster dressing both ways and truly the only difference between fresh and canned is about 2x or 3x price.  Geisha brand canned oysters work very well--no dicing required, either.

Now for the baked goods I recall (Mom would start baking on Monday of Thanksgiving week)

1)  Raisin nut bread with cream cheese on the side

2)  Lemon bread

3)  Pumpkin pie

4)  Raisin pie

5)   Mince pie

6)  Round black walnu layet cake

7)  Pineapple upside down cake

8)  Round Marachino cherry layer cake

Life is an Orthros.

11/09/2015 4:10 pm  #6

My parents always made "Waldorf Salad" as Thanksgiving side. It was a weird concoction served cold and made up of

Diced apples
Red grapes
Walnuts
celery
all mixed together with mayonnaise.

I loathed that side dish with the heat of a hundred suns but for my parents it was the greatest thing ever.

As for what I do like, This is what my T-giving plate generally looks like

Turkey
Mashed Potatoes w/ giblet gravy
Sage and Sausage Stuffing
Buttered Corn
Green Bean Casserole
Sweet Gherkins
Buttered roll

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

11/09/2015 4:45 pm  #7

I've seen Waldorf salad on menus though have never tried it. Sounds like something they'd eat on mad men.

The thing I hated was my aunts sweet potato casserole, complete with marshmallows. Way too sweet for me. Funny thing, I discovered later in life that I really like sweet potatoes. I slice them like thick French fries, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, maybe rosemary and roast over high heat.

FWIW, I grew up in a mashed potato house, and married into a radical, jihadist rice house.
The horror. But whatta ya gonna do?
Friday I will do mashed potatoes to have with turkey leftovers. The things I do for world peace 

11/09/2015 6:13 pm  #8

It is a very old  recipe and was served at the Waldorf Hotel way back when.  It was one of the few "salads" I ate as a child.  Mom would tell me it was served in fancy, ritzy places.

11/09/2015 8:33 pm  #9

There was a time that I hated  Waldorf salad....and given that my tastes are pretty much unlimited (raw oysters, guacamole, anything Oriental, you get the idea) was saying a lot.

Somehow I outgrew the loathing and now I actually like it.

Life is an Orthros.

11/11/2015 1:14 pm  #10

we're a meatzza meatzza family so our Thanksgiving traditional meal - contrary to many PR families who make pernil instead of turkey - is:

roast turkey seasoned the Sunday before and stored in its roasting pan, covered
mashed potatoes - half peeled only, smooshed with heated up cream, milk, butter, s&p, & mashed garlic
rice with mushrooms & bacon
giblet gravy with the drippings & neck meat added
2 stuffings - cavity stuffed with ground beef & pork, Italian sausages, mushrooms, chopped celery & onions, beef bouillon, beef gravy mix to tighten a bit
neck - same stuffing mixed with mashed green plantains like mofongo - never any leftovers!!!
fresh string beans stri fried in olive oil, halved grape tomatoes, garlic, s&p, & butter then crisp bacon chopped up to finish it off
sweet potatoes baked in a mix of pancake syrup, cloves, cinnamon, butter and topped off with a squeeze of lemon or lime for those who like it
corn and/or broccoli
fresh cranberry compote with citrus for those who like it
dessert is pumpkin pie my daughter makes for us, pumpkin roll my daughter in law makes for us, flan, tembleque, and anything my granddaughters ask for including dump cake with fresh apples...
sparkling cider for the kids
wine for the adults

hey, I have at least 20 people over every time! it may seem like a lot, but they all eat abundantly, and look forward to gramma's open face turkey sandwiches with gravy or the mayo mixed ones...
then there's turkey musgovian soup!!!

oh, and every favorite Rican meal they want while they're here, in between!!!

oops!!!! I forgot the bread/rolls!! my son will be baking baguettes and adding sesame seeds to mine!!!ns!!!

oops oops!!! I forgot the pinchful of red pepper flakes in the green bean!!!

Last edited by Tropicalfox (11/15/2015 7:34 pm)

Board footera