The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/12/2015 4:39 pm  #11

Re: Urban Outfitters "work for free"

At my work place, just last weekend, several production supervisors, all salaried employees, were asked to come in and help clean their departments.  They were given no extra pay, or even free lunch.  Were they working for free? In my mind, and in what they agreed to when they accepted the position, no they were not.  They are paid a salary for their work, regardless of hours worked.  There were also several hourly associates who helped as well, and they were paid on the clock, overtime.  Why wasn't there a news article about that?

Last edited by The Man (10/12/2015 4:43 pm)

10/12/2015 5:12 pm  #12

Why wasn't there a news article about that?

I have no idea.  But, did any of those those production supervisors say, "No, I made other plans for that  day."

I was a salaried employee, too.  Sometimes they needed a chaperone for a dance, or someone to oversee a chicken barbeque for the junior/senior prom committee, or any number of a gazillion other things.  The point is I never felt pressure from anyone to volunteer to do it.  Sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't, but never felt it was something I had to do if I didn't want to.

Was this the case for Urban Outfitters and the place where you worked?

10/12/2015 5:18 pm  #13

Just Fred wrote:

Why wasn't there a news article about that?

I have no idea.  But, did any of those those production supervisors say, "No, I made other plans for that  day."

I was a salaried employee, too.  Sometimes they needed a chaperone for a dance, or someone to oversee a chicken barbeque for the junior/senior prom committee, or any number of a gazillion other things.  The point is I never felt pressure from anyone to volunteer to do it.  Sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't, but never felt it was something I had to do if I didn't want to.

Was this the case for Urban Outfitters and the place where you worked?

No, no one was pressured, and we don't know that the Urban Outfitters employees were pressured.  People in this thread assume that they were, but there is no evidence of that.

But, regardless of whether there was pressure or not, if they are salaried employees, it certainly is not 'working for free'.

Last edited by The Man (10/12/2015 5:22 pm)

10/12/2015 5:23 pm  #14

The Man is correct, without knowing the corporate culture of the company,all you can do is speculate on how upper management treated employees who didn't volunteer.

I've been a "salaried" employee most of my life, and each place I worked has had a different culture.  Some would have definitely held it against me if I didn't volunteer and some wouldn't care less.  I even worked for one company who would give "salaried" employees "comp" time if they worked more than 40 hours per week, which allowed us to take the the extra time off later.

10/12/2015 5:54 pm  #15

Yea, when you accept employment your employer owns you, like a slave.

Wow. 

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

10/12/2015 6:24 pm  #16

Goose wrote:

Yea, when you accept employment your employer owns you, like a slave.

Wow. 

No, and no one suggested any such thing.  Salaried employees working extra hours, even on a weekend, is sometimes part of the job.  They work for the salary that they agreed to, that's not 'working for free'.

10/12/2015 6:27 pm  #17

Hey, no need to go after me. You are free to offer your opinion, whether you know what you are talking about or not..

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

10/12/2015 6:29 pm  #18

Goose wrote:

Hey, no need to go after me. You are free to offer your opinion, whether you know what you are talking about or not..

I didn't go after anyone.  But thanks for trolling.

10/12/2015 6:38 pm  #19

Well, without going into your psychopathology ,,
You and Brady, the self appointed arbiter of all things, say that it's fine for an employer to arbitrarily add hours, and duties to a salaried employee .

Do you two sages have any line In the sand?
Something that you would consider a bridge too far?

10/12/2015 7:01 pm  #20

A deafening silence. I want to know. Can I now tell my bookkeeper that he now needs to plow the parking lot?
Should I tell my receptionist that she needs to come in on Saturday and clean toilets?
I mean, I own these people, right?

Board footera