The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/20/2015 11:32 pm  #1

Saylor blasts York City School Board

http://www.ydr.com/local/ci_27568756/saylor-blasts-york-city-school-board

During a visit with students at Central York High School, state Rep. Stan Saylor took aim at the York City School Board, blasting them for problems in the district and suggesting they all need to resign

.As he talked to the students on Friday, Saylor, R-Windsor Township, brought up the York City School District, saying it was "second worst in the state" and noting that proposals for improvement have included splitting the district up among suburban districts, including Central. Saylor, who is House education committee chairman, said he opposes the idea of "just shipping kids around" and said instead the city district needs to be made better.

He asked the Central students if they thought city students should be sent there, prompting a student to ask, "What exactly makes York City that bad?"

Saylor said in his opinion it was "bad administrators, bad school board members.

"He alleged there was once a school board member who couldn't read or write. He brought up an old auditor general's report that concluded the district misspent money.

Saylor said he wants to hold schools, no matter what type, to the same standards.

"Do I think charters in York can make it better? Possibly. But you have to make a change there," he said.

Then he again pointed blame at the school board."They should be embarrassed. You have a school board president there who owes — owes — back property taxes to the school district. So hasn't paid her taxes to the school district and sent her children to a charter school," Saylor said. "And she's running the school district and saying no we don't want charters. Personally I'd like to see York City stay as a public school. But you have to get administrators and everyone working together to save that as a public school."

Told of Saylor's comments, Margie Orr, the York City School Board president, responded "wow." She questioned why he would discuss such matters in that setting.

"What did it have to do with anything involving those students?" she said.

Orr said she owes back taxes on a rental property she is in the process of selling. County records show about $3,600 owed for 2013 and 2014 county, school and city taxes. Her grandson attended the now-closed New Hope Academy Charter School, and Orr has since said she wasn't pleased with his education but allowed him to stay.

She questioned why Saylor was trying to "smear" her and the rest of the board. "How dare Stan Saylor?" she said. "I'm so perturbed with these Johnny-come-lately people who have so much rhetoric and so much hyperness about the School District of the City of York, yet none of these people offer up any resolutions or anything to help this district."

State Rep. Keith Gillespie, R-Hellam Township, who was also part of the session with students, said it was "almost time to send in the rescue squad" for the district and that chartering was a viable option in other places.

After the talk, Saylor said he had concerns about "real malfeasance." He had told the students that he believes there are people who could be indicted, though he didn't say who or for what.

"I've talked to teachers, middle management. What is fact, I don't know," he said. But he said some legislators are discussing a forensic audit of the district, which he said goes deeper into every dollar spent.

Both Saylor and Gillespie said they hope the Wolf administration allows David Meckley, the state-appointed chief recovery officer, to continue on with the district.

The school district is appealing a court order that named Meckley as receiver for the district.

Gillespie said he is "very comfortable with (Meckley) at the helm" and hopes the Wolf administration consider's Meckley's work in the past two years.

Rep. Saylor crossed the line by making statements that are positively libelous.

Great example of statesmanship to the high school youth /sarc.

Any Democrat lawyers out there who would like to represent Maggie Orr?

Life is an Orthros.

2/21/2015 4:39 pm  #2

Re: Saylor blasts York City School Board

Rep Saylor is nothing but a politician. The worst type of a politician.
He spin and dives depending on the circumstance he is in. I have seen him in
action with the school property tax issue for years!  
I think saying what he said with the student was WRONG  but I don’t see a libel issue?
He said some mean and nasty things. Libelous? I don’t think so?

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

2/21/2015 6:12 pm  #3

Re: Saylor blasts York City School Board

I don't see it as libel either.

I see it as an idiotic rant by a politician trying to score some sort of politcal points.  His little rant was completely inappropriate to do in front of students, let alone students of another school district.

Board footera