The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/19/2015 8:14 pm  #1

By this measure, winter has been rather warm

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/19/2015 10:32 pm  #2

Re: By this measure, winter has been rather warm

Don't care much about the temperatures in other parts.  I checked the outdoor thermometer just before sitting down here and it is already at 0° at 10:25.  Factor in the wind chill and it's about -25° and more than cold enough for my creaky body.

2/19/2015 11:07 pm  #3

I hear you.

I'm into the 21st year of keeping daily hi/lo temperatures and precip records, logged onto spreadsheets designed to autocalculate the average, the degree days, and the monthly averages of hi, lo, overall average, and degree days.

As of today, February has an overall average temperature of 26.1.   Not only is this more than two degrees below the previous "record cold" February 2007 when the monthly average was 28.3, it has surpassed the lowest of the lows, the 26.3 degrees set in January 1996 (remember the 24 inch blizzard?).

Part of my rural property faces north, and there the snow pack is glatiating.  Yes, turning to ice, and ever so slowly creeping down hill.  The snow pack has been there for a month...no bare ground since January 20.

Life is an Orthros.

2/20/2015 7:15 am  #4

Wow, "the sixth warmest weather in US history".
They must be baking out west, cause you can log me in at -6 this morning in MA!

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/20/2015 8:23 am  #5

It is hard to wrap your brain around global warming when you are freezing your ass off ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/20/2015 9:08 am  #6

It is hard to wrap your brain around global warming when you are freezing your ass off !  - Tennyson

True.  That's why 'climate change' is a much more accurate and honest way to frame it.

2/20/2015 10:28 am  #7

Just Fred wrote:

It is hard to wrap your brain around global warming when you are freezing your ass off !  - Tennyson

True.  That's why 'climate change' is a much more accurate and honest way to frame it.

This also dovetails into the earlier question of why people are skeptical about science (the article was primarily relating to the science of global warming). Wheras, I DO accept the fact that overall the Earth is warming, it is easy to see how many question the overall implications especially when they are confronted by winters like we are experiencing here. Just as an adjunct to this whole thing, where we get repeated updates from global warming scientists about the melting of the Artic Ice shelf, we don't hear too much about the converse of the Antartic Ice shelf reaching new records in breadth. We still have much to learn about global weather and climate. Even researching back into the history of Earth (ignoring the times before man is scientifically believed to be here which is about 10,000 years ago when there were much hotter and much colder times), there have been periods when man did roam the earth that were much hotter than the norms today. 

One thing that struck me as astonishing is that when I was visiting the Grand Canyon years ago, the history of the area told us that the whole area was at one time under water. I found that astonishing. Maybe I should not have, but it just boggled the imagination which viewing this magnificent sight. 

2/20/2015 10:42 am  #8

This would dovetail nicely into the thread about how difficult it is to get people to understand science.
As an example, nowhere in the theory of climate change will you see a statement claiming that winter will never come again, or that some winters will no longer be more severe than others.

Not every location on the Earth is having the same responses to climate changes. The fact that ice in one part of the world is doing one thing and in another part ice is doing another is not surprising. The Earth is large and as the climate changes it is normal to see different things going on.

Last edited by Goose (2/20/2015 10:43 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/20/2015 1:15 pm  #9

it is easy to see how many question the overall implications especially when they are confronted by winters like we are experiencing here.

I'm aware of that, too.  I'm pretty sure that's because alot of people confuse weather with climate.

As far as the 'warming' aspect of this, I'm not sure how many people realize the real impact is felt due to the melting of the polar ice cap which in turn is causing that huge river of air (jet stream) to weaken and shift allowing colder air to dip deeper southward.  I could go on, but it gets complicated and right now may not be the time to get into the dynamics of the whole thing.  Just an aside, when we are experiencing near record low temps, the Pacific Northwest was experiencing near record highs.

Last edited by Just Fred (2/20/2015 1:15 pm)

Board footera