The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/23/2015 10:06 am  #1

BBQ Sauce

Anyone make their own BBQ sauce?

I'm looking for a nice sauce for pulled pork.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

7/23/2015 2:53 pm  #2

Re: BBQ Sauce

I find a few bottled sauces are as good as homebrewed ones and a lot less work.

7/23/2015 3:43 pm  #3

Yes, a lot of work!

7/23/2015 5:44 pm  #4

I make my own according to my mood.  The bottled sauces leave an aftertaste in my mouth and I don't like them.  These sauces are easy and very basic.  You can add your  own favorite ingredients to make them your own.

MAPLE BBQ SAUCE

3/4 C. maple syrup                                            
1/2 tsp. onion salt
3/4 C. ketchup                                                  
1/4 tsp. celery seed
1/2 C. cold water                                               
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients.  Serve over ribs, chicken, pork or use as a marinade.  Store in refrigerator.  Makes 1 3/4 cups.

MY CROCKPOT BBQ SAUCE

1/2 C. plus 2 T. Ketchup    
onion powder to taste
2 T. maple syrup    
1/2 tsp. Liquid Smoke
2 1/2 T. vinegar     
salt to taste
3 T. honey     
2 T. chili powder

Mix all.  Poor over meat in crockpot.  Cover and cook until done.

BBQ SAUCE

1 C. ketchup     
1 T. chili powder
1 small can tomato sauce   
dash Worchestershire sauce
1/2 C. (or more) brown sugar   
onion powder to taste
2 T. Molasses     
garlic powder to taste
dash Liquid Smoke    

Mix all. 

MAKE YOUR OWN BBQ SAUCE

This sauce is good just brushed on meat.  Mix ingredients together and baste.  If you want to use it for dipping, mix together, heat to boiling, then simmer until thickened.

Sweet and Sour:
1 T. cayenne pepper
2 T, honey
1 C. tomato paste
1/2 C. orange, lemon, lime or grapefruit juice
dash Liquid Smoke

Hot and Spicy
1 T. red pepper flakes
2 T. brown sugar
1 C. ketchup
1.2 C. white vinegar

Smokey Maple
1 T. tobasco sauce
1 T. molasses or maple syrup
1 C. pureed tomatoes
1/2 C. beer, unsweetened apple juice or apple cider

7/24/2015 7:12 am  #5

While I don't have a recipe, for pulled pork I'd go with the Carolina style of either a vinegar or especially a mustard based sauce.

But mostly, I agree with flowergirl that with the multitude of bottled sauces out there, I can usually find one that will trump anything that I could come up with on my own.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

7/24/2015 4:53 pm  #6

I use bottled sauce but always tweak them before use.

It's rarely the same thing twice.  Nothing written down.  Just use my nose and stop screwing around with it when it smells right.

BTW, yellow mustard adds a nice tang to bottled sauce.  Use sparingly.  Stir it in a little at a time and taste until it seems right.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

7/25/2015 6:41 am  #7

Thanks for all of the mouth-watering ideas.

I think that we are all the same in one regard. You decide at some point that it''s not possible to make everything from scratch.. So, we find some things we insist on making ourselves, some things we are happy to use off a shelf, and finally some things we buy and tweak.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

7/25/2015 8:26 am  #8

If I MUST use the bottled BBQ sauce in a pinch, I find Sweet Baby Ray's has less the aftertaste that I don't like in bottled sauces.  His comes in a number of flavors.

7/25/2015 9:20 am  #9

Agree, have a bottle in my fridge.  Sometimes for extra/different touch I'll mix in a litttle hoisin sauce.  Above all, I stay clear of any sauces by heavily advertised brands.

Last edited by flowergirl (7/25/2015 9:22 am)

Board footera