The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/19/2015 4:43 pm  #1

Saving Tourism From Itself

The

Last edited by Goose (3/06/2016 8:07 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

7/19/2015 7:49 pm  #2

Re: Saving Tourism From Itself

Too many people with so much money to spend.  Difficult to manage the hoards from destroying what they pay so much money to see--a conundrum for the governments.

7/19/2015 11:14 pm  #3

It would be interesting (and likely scary) to calculate the carbon fooprint of both domestic and international tourism (including our everyday things like vacations, local jaunts, etc). 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

7/20/2015 5:51 am  #4

Interesting things to ponder.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

7/20/2015 7:18 am  #5

No matter how you slice and dice it, however, each year because of travel related activities (tourism and other) we are putting more CO2 into the air and as the quantity of vehicles for travel increases exponentially it willl continue to become more and more of a problem till more efficient methods of travel can be designed that are cost effective and do not rely on gasoline or other CO2 producting products. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

7/20/2015 7:28 am  #6

I wasn't arguing that tourism isn't putting CO2 into the air.

I was pointing out that there are at least some people thinking about the impact of tourism on the environment, and how we might minimize it.

You don't get anything for free. But, I think that tourism can have enormous benefits both to the individual and mankind.

I wouldn't abandon travel for the sake of the environment anymore than I would abolish airconditioning.
The key is to manage tourism to make it sustainable both in environmental and cultural terms.

Last edited by Goose (7/20/2015 7:35 am)

7/20/2015 7:34 am  #7

You know, I had more than a twinge of concern about visiting the Galapagos Islands this spring. But, I was heartened to learn that the Ecuadoreans had a very impressive record of managing the tourism, and that the Park was healthier than it was in past years.

And even the casual observer can see it. There are no jet skis, or cigar boats. No Golf courses or high rise resorts. There is enormous respect for the environment, from the local food, to having to shower with salty water on one of the outlying islands.
You even have to use waterless, eco-toilets. My mom, who has the hygiene habits of Betty Draper from the 60s would have,,,,,,, well, I think she would have gone the entire week without going to the bathroom!

7/20/2015 9:12 am  #8

Goose wrote:

I wasn't arguing that tourism isn't putting CO2 into the air.

I was pointing out that there are at least some people thinking about the impact of tourism on the environment, and how we might minimize it.

You don't get anything for free. But, I think that tourism can have enormous benefits both to the individual and mankind.

I wouldn't abandon travel for the sake of the environment anymore than I would abolish airconditioning.
The key is to manage tourism to make it sustainable both in environmental and cultural terms.

I was actually bundling that together in all of mankinds increasing use of fossil fuels for ALL types of transportation. It is one of the leading causes of CO2 in the atmosphere and till we can come up with an affordable and carbon friendly alternative we are faced with an ever increasing output from these activities. 

And, as you have pointed out, not many (myself included) are willing to give these things up. It is hard to see how this will work out, but I do believe in the proverb that "Necessity is the mother of invention". 

Board footera