The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/11/2015 8:34 pm  #1

Wild Mint

Wild Mint or "Meadow Mint" is a wonderful flavoring for summer drinks.

A stem with about half a dozen leaves attached will easily flavor a gallon pitcher of ice water.  Just allow it to sit for five to ten minutes before pouring.   There is decent flavoring for a second filling of the pitcher.

Don't want to make a whole pitcher?  One good sized or two small leaves will do the trick for a 12 oz glass.

This next part could/should be on the Beer Garden board; but here goes.   A  couple of leaves, three or four ice cubes and some Bourbon makes a very simple mint julep.   No sugar water needed!  Just let the bourbon soak through the leaves and sip.   You don't need an expensive Bourbon for a good, cool drink.
I'm sipping "Early Times" as I type.

Life is an Orthros.

7/11/2015 9:19 pm  #2

Re: Wild Mint

Is this mint truly wild?  A N. E. item?

7/11/2015 9:48 pm  #3

My family has owned the meadow for 52 years.   We never planted it.   The delightful smell emerged when mowing "back then" and emerges to this day.

The mint growing by my house just sprang up from seeds carried in from other plants.

Leaves are still flavorful on the second julep.

Life is an Orthros.

7/12/2015 6:32 am  #4

That mint julep sounds very tempting.
I've always loved mint tea. Hot or iced.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

7/12/2015 4:47 pm  #5

Mint is a lovely flavor, but if you plant it in your garden you must watch it.  It will try and take over.  It's a little like dill.  Plant a small amount and then next year it is popping up everywhere.

7/12/2015 9:18 pm  #6

Mint is good in a container as are some other flavorings.  If mint planted in a garden keeps coming back year after year is it then considered "wild?"  Just wondering.

7/12/2015 9:37 pm  #7

I'm giving serous thought to putting mint in a container like my other herbs.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera