The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/06/2015 9:18 am  #1

It's Getting Scary Out there

My r. e. tax increased over $120.00 for the year 2015 and now the predictions of health insurance premium increases as much as 51% it is becoming difficult for seniors on fixed incomes.  I was all for the Affordable Health Care for the uninsured but somehow the fact that my own retirement-based insurance premuiums are or will be paying for it has escaped me until now.  Where is the justice of seniors on fixed incomes paying higher premiums for their own health insurance in order for others to acquire health insurance via the government?

7/06/2015 11:51 am  #2

Re: It's Getting Scary Out there

Are you on medicare, flowergirl?

7/06/2015 12:06 pm  #3

Yes, and those premiums will probably increase for 2016 since they didn't for 2015.

7/08/2015 4:58 pm  #4

Unfortunately this is what the majority wanted and voted for.  If I recall correctly, the government cut funding for Medicare in order to help fund the ACA subsidies and Medicaid expansion.  It's far from just seniors having a tough time.  There are many working people who aren't seniors who who are also on fixed incomes, and retiring one day is but a pipe dream for them.

Last edited by The Man (7/08/2015 5:00 pm)

7/09/2015 4:47 am  #5

Flowergirl, are you saying that Medicare premiums are set to increase up to 51%, or are you talking about private supplemental insurance?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

7/09/2015 9:43 am  #6

Some private supplemental insurers are expected at least for now to increase premiums up to that amount.  That's not to say it will happen but I think we're being given fair warning that big premium increases are coming.  I'm on edge until December until Fairfax Co., a self-insurer, announces the increase for Cigna. 

7/09/2015 11:48 am  #7

The oft related cuts to Medicare were actually to the Medicare Advantage program subsidies. Here is the scoop about it. The long and short of it is that the Medicare Advantge program was instituted in the George W Bush administration to increase competition in the Medicare field by involving private insurers. It has been a popular program (I am in a Medicare Advantage plan). BUT the payouts to Medicare Advantage per insuree averaged higher than Medicare itself and the cuts were to level the difference. Each year with the Advantage plan you can go shopping for any of the Advantage plans that are active in your state. So far I have been satisfied with the Advantage plans and their coverage and prices. Like others shopping for medical insurance you typically have a choice of prices in each of the plans depending on deductivles, etc. 

Here is the article explaining the cuts and how it has been used politically. 

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2014/feb/14/national-republican-congressional-committee/nrcc-says-obamacare-cuts-money-medicare-and-senior/

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera